What's new

Recent content by DavidJ

1. DavidJ

Post Processors for Atom3D or Should I Update to the CNC Versioning?

If controller is GRBL based, use the GRBL posts for MeshCAM - check documentation for your controller as to what file extension it expects for the g-code file. As a newcomer to CNC I suggest start with simple operations - don't try to do everything in one go in your first project. build up slowly.
  2. DavidJ

Post Processors for Atom3D or Should I Update to the CNC Versioning?

The list of post processors was taken from my own MeshCAM installation. 1. There will be a difference, actual times will vary depending on complexity of the job and power of your computer. 2. You may need to change the file extension - different controllers expect different file extensions...
  3. DavidJ

will Alibre work well on this system

A lot depends on how large/complex the models to be handled are. If I were to point to a 'weakness' in the spec given - I'd say that maybe more RAM would be useful - but that's only going to be the case if working with very large/complex models. I have 32GB on my main system and only 16GB on...
  4. DavidJ

will Alibre work well on this system

I would expect pretty good performance.
  5. DavidJ

can't get an assembly contraint to work

Looks like possibly only one member is selected for the constraint (other has been destroyed by an edit of the part perhaps).
  6. DavidJ

Exactly what can be referenced in reference planes/axis/points.

Maybe you can clarify what you mean by "not noticed", and "sketching does not see axis"... What is it you want to do with the axis? I can constrain to and dimension from axis in sketch mode.
  7. DavidJ

Axis is noticed when sketching, BUT you may have to adjust point of view slightly to be able to select the axis if it is hidden by an edge on plane or by the existing solid. Rotate workspace a little, or pan/zoom to see where axis extends beyond model.
  8. DavidJ

No need to create 2nd plane - use the plane or face that you will sketch on to create axis (must be done before entering sketch mode). No need to project the axis - just use it directly in the sketch to dimension from or constrain to (any projection needed happens automatically)
  9. DavidJ

What are you actually trying to achieve here? You can add a point where Axis 5 intersects Plane 5. Thought there are simpler ways to position a point there... Examples of uses for planes & axes - to define revolves or mirrors, as intermediaries in defining difficult geometry.
  10. DavidJ

draw gear to a set diament

Yes - there are simple equations which link number of teeth, pitch diameter, outside diameter and DP or Module. One web page showing the basic equations is https://www.engineersedge.com/gear_formula.htm
  11. DavidJ

draw gear to a set diament

Well gears have to have an integer number of teeth. If using gears from a standard series you'll be limited as to centre distances that are possible. If 3D printing gears then you could use a non-standard DP or Module value, to give more freedom on centre distances. If there are 3 gears in a...
  12. DavidJ

how to draw gears

That's as good as anywhere, and would make sense.
  13. DavidJ

how to draw gears

The other gear script variants are in this zip archive - they are fairly simple edits of the default one provided with Alibre.
  14. DavidJ

Do these warnings and exceptions matter?

AP 203 / 214 have a lot in common, AP 242 is treated differently (long story) - hence my suggestion.
  15. DavidJ

Do these warnings and exceptions matter?

If STEP AP214 export gives problems in your next process, check to see if AP242 export behaves any better. A problem that shows with one, may not show with the other and vice versa. No promises, but it may be worth trying...