What's new

Search results

1. J

UI Feedback requested :D

What about an option in preferences which lets you choose which functions are always available; the others are available in the menu button? The default can be whatever we deem most sensible, but then it gives some options and lets it evolve without being set in stone.
  2. J

Want some free outsourced manufacturing?

I've been working for a while on a new sensing technology where one of the main applications is computer keyboards. In this application there are many benefits compared to existing keyboards, especially for gamers where we can offer "negative latency" for the fastest possible response time as...
  3. J

Announcing Subscriptions

I think it's a good idea to try and bring new users on board. I (like many here) wouldn't want to have a monthly subscription, but if it means some new users come on board, when otherwise they wouldn't, that has to be a good thing. With a subscription, can you drop it for a few months (without...
  4. J

UI proposal - feedback requested

I like the idea, but do have a few concerns (mostly already voiced before me). 1. Hiding/expanding the dialog areas as functionality becomes available seems like a good idea, but I think it will interrupt the flow too much. It gets in the way of muscle memory. I fear it may slow the user, and...
  5. J

Complex Pattern (from coordinates)

This is excellent, thank you! I can see exactly what you've done and have reproduced it in my design. It worked really well. It takes a while to get all the constraints in place with lots of apertures, but it only needs to be done once and now everything is fully maintainable for the future. I...
  6. J

Thanks, David. I don't really understand what you've done here. Would it be possible to share the file so I can have a play with it?
  7. J

Hmmm, that's not great. So it might end up being "maintainable" but not very "usable". I use booleans so rarely that I didn't even think about this. I'll give this a try. From a quick look it might work because you can duplicate the "tool" part and replace this easily so it is maintainable for...
  8. J

I am trying to do something quite simple, but struggling to do it nicely in Alibre. Problem: I have a sketch for an aperture with a node to define its centre (not just a simple shape). I have a spreadsheet to generate coordinates of where multiple of these apertures needs to be placed (more...
  9. J

V24 now available

Me too!
  10. J

Poll - Screen Resolution / DPI

1920 x 1200 @ 100%
  11. J

Feedback requested - Ribbon / Toolbar / Menu and UI consolidation

Me too -- It's not just about number of clicks, but it's faster/easier to just click the "boss" or "cut" to do what you want, rather than having to think about it each time the dialog opens. i.e., muscle-memory does the thinking for you.
  12. J

Is it possible to group features together?

I've been asking for it for years too. It's not just cosmetic if operations can be applied to the groups (e.g., pattern, mirror, etc). Not only does it make visual organisation simpler, but it helps document how the part is made and makes the design safer because when you go back to modify it...
  13. J

[fix target: v23]Does V22 split every single surface when you pass a model through to Keyshot now?

Not here. Only bip files can be opened in the Keyshot-for-Alibre version that I have (and presumably the same for everyone else). By the way, I got an update from Support today to say that this exporting issue has been raised for discussion (probably after the next V22 service pack which is...
  14. J

[fix target: v23]Does V22 split every single surface when you pass a model through to Keyshot now?

That's good to know. However, I already got a reply from Support with a link to download. Have V21 running on another machine and have done one test as I described and this seemed to work (more or less).
  15. J

Thanks, @simonb65. I've contacted support to see. Usually, I have several installers for the older versions on hand too, but for some reason I don't have V21, only V20.
  16. J

I think the only short-term workaround I can think of is to save files as STEP, import into Alibre Design V21, then export to Keyshot (presumably V22 Alibre files won't open in V21, so is using STEP the best workaround for that?). Unfortunately, you can't have two installs of Alibres on the...
  17. J

I can't seem to get it to work if I do this. I hoped this would be a quick workaround. I only have a few coloured faces, in two parts of the subassembly. I suppressed this face-colouring so there should be no coloured faces, but it still exports to Keyshot as separate surfaces. I also tried...
  18. J

I just came across this problem too. I was about to create a post to discuss and found this was already being discussed. I had made a few important changes to a design then updated an existing render to find everything had been broken into separate surfaces. What?!? As noticed, the rounded...
  19. J

V23 - "Other" Requests.

Facility to create groups of features to help organise workflow and make it easier to maintain designs in the future. For example, a group that contains a set of features such as bosses, cuts, fillets etc defines a "feature group". This feature group can then be copied, mirrored etc just like...