What's new

Version 22 - one more thing

simonb65

Alibre Super User
WOW! Just WOW ... that's a big game changer for me :)

@Max , can you invoke library 'generate' from Alibre Script and the API?

Max

Administrator
Staff member
It is not currently Script aware, but if demand for that exists we can consider implementing it.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Will it be delivered with some Standard libraries, bolts, nuts, etc.?

Yes, but nothing to be considered comprehensive and all of it in ISO. It is less of a "standard parts library" and more of a "dynamic design generator" though it can certainly be used as a standard part library.

I also imagine that some folks on here will devote a nontrivial amount of time to making and sharing libraries of such standard parts.

Last edited:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Very cool feature!

Yes, but nothing to be considered comprehensive and all of it in ISO. It is less of a "standard parts library" and more of a "dynamic design generator" though it can certainly be used as a standard part library.

I also imagine that some folks on here will devote a nontrivial amount of time to making and sharing libraries of such standard parts.
You do have it in a tab named "Library". ;)

A note: I noticed that the color of the dropdown lists made them look "greyed out" and therefore might be perceived by users as unavailable to change.

I guess that as somebody who maintains more than 125 "Component Libraries" in "Spreadsheet Index" access format, my impression of this Feature does not leave me that "excited." I often include such data as "Shear Area" (in inches²/inch of engagement) for threaded entities as part of the "Selection Process." And presenting such information to the user is not apparent to me. Yes, I realize that (as first identified by Generic Software) there are the few -- and then there is Lew. -- Lew

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I guess that as somebody who maintains more than 125 "Component Libraries" in "Spreadsheet Index" access format, my impression of this Feature does not leave me that "excited." I often include such data as "Shear Area" (in inches²/inch of engagement) for threaded entities as part of the "Selection Process." And presenting such information to the user is not apparent to me. Yes, I realize that (as first identified by Generic Software) there are the few -- and then there is Lew. -- Lew
Nothing says that the parameters you pick have to result in any change to the part - they could just be a scale parameter with data. I imagine that Value Driven could be setup to show such data on user selection of sizes. It wouldn't give you a birds eye view of the data though.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
@Max, the video doesn't show, but can you define a range of values (i.e. 45-90 .. being a range of between 45 and 90) or just a comma separated fixed list (i.e. 45,60,90, etc)?

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Ranges are possible.
Thanks David. One other question ... this allows you to have a single instance of a part in the library, so derivatives can be generated, i.e. I can get rid of my existing 'vast' pre-generated libraries ...

upload_2020-9-2_16-51-15.png

... but is there any way to generate the part name? In this example the library parts would be a M22-271xx05, but the xx value needs adding based on the part generated (in this case the Pins parameter formatted to 2 digits with leading zeros!). Same if you use it for general fasteners, etc. or does it just add it as <new part>? and you then have to do the last 0.1% as a manual error prone process?

Hi Nate -- The attached "view" is part of a Library I am developing. Please note the "Tensile Pin Equivalent Dia:" column. This is the "Pin Diameter" equivalent to the "Bending Load" carrying area of the Thread. I use this value regularly and, though it is not that hard to calculate, it appears next to nowhere (Practical Stress Analysis in Engineering Design being the best "exception") and yet about 70% of "Fastener Failures" come from a "bending load" applied to the "threaded portion" of a Fastener. -- LewButtress Thd Data View.PNG

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Simon - I suspect that the name generation you are looking for is perhaps a candidate for future enhancement.

Max may be able to offer more information - the naming behaviour of the resultant part has changed a bit during development, and may not have been quite finalised yet.

We fully expect that users will think of all kinds of uses for this capability, that we haven't considered. That means there will almost certainly be some future tweaks based upon feedback. I've fed back some items to Development from my testing that won't make initial release, but might be added to a future release.

You are exactly right - a single 'master model' can be used to drive creation of many derivatives. The master model is only ever modified if you decide to change it. Each derivative part becomes an independent model once it has been generated and saved.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I suspect that the name generation you are looking for is perhaps a candidate for future enhancement.
I suspect when we get our hands on it, it'll be the source of many more questions, but still looks very promising! :)

Max

Administrator
Staff member
@Max, the video doesn't show, but can you define a range of values (i.e. 45-90 .. being a range of between 45 and 90) or just a comma separated fixed list (i.e. 45,60,90, etc)?

The "Range-Driven" Parameter type allows inputs to the logic (called "Parent Parameters") to be a range. For example:

If parameter Length is between 1-10, then allow Depth to be (1, 2, or 3)
If parameter Length is between 10.01 - 20, then allow Depth to be (4, 5, 6, or 7)

Your question, perhaps subtly and unintentionally, implies the output (the comma separated list which eventually populates a dropdown) could be a range - but that doesn't make sense in the context of a part. A part's parameters must resolve to a single value. I hope that makes sense. But yes, ranges are possible - I brainfarted while making the video and only showed single values as inputs in the Range Driven type.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
but is there any way to generate the part name? In this example the library parts would be a M22-271xx05, but the xx value needs adding based on the part generated (in this case the Pins parameter formatted to 2 digits with leading zeros!). Same if you use it for general fasteners, etc. or does it just add it as <new part>? and you then have to do the last 0.1% as a manual error prone process?

As of today right now, there is no way to define a name until you save.

We are trying to fit in an input box on the part generation dialog (with the dropdowns) that lets you place the name during part creation, so you can at least not have 20 parts with the same name prior to save. We will not have dynamic naming in v22.