What's new

Script Release: Update Table_to_3DPoints_forum_V03

idslk

Alibre Super User
Edit: Update to V03:
# V03 does no longer create copies of points, instead it changes their coordinate values
# the ee-parameter get the name of the point and an extension for the axis
# table cells now can also contain formulas

Hello colleagues,

if you have a table like that:
upload_2020-7-25_15-18-2.png
and you want to get the coordinates to be reference points in your design,
you can use the appended script (Table_to_3DPoints_forum_V01.py)
If you start the script in a fresh design (no matter of assembly or part),
you will be promted to select a spreadsheet file in xlsx format.
upload_2020-7-25_15-18-42.png
A demo data file is appended to this post (coordinate_table.xlsx as a zip file because xlsx is not in upload selection...)
If you cancel the loading process, you will be informed in the console:
upload_2020-7-25_15-18-57.png
If you proceed with a valid solution, you will get the following in formation in the console:
upload_2020-7-25_15-19-12.png
and the results in the design
upload_2020-7-25_15-19-43.png
and explorer window
upload_2020-7-25_15-19-29.png
If you start the script a second time with the same spreadsheet file
or with a spreadsheet file which contains points with same names,
the script will add the information "-copy" to the "new" point name.
You will get regarding informations in the console:
upload_2020-7-25_15-19-58.png
and explorer window
upload_2020-7-25_15-20-12.png
of course the new points will also be created in the design.
The format of the spreadsheet table has to be the same as in the demo data!
Ofcourse you can add more points with different names.
The names should contain only valid characters for alibre!
The units of the x,y,z coordinates should match your design units!
"And as ever": Use at your own risk!

Regards
Stefan

Attachments

• coordinate_table.zip
    4.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Table_to_3DPoints_forum_V03.py
    3.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi Stefan,
Thanks very much for the tool's scrip. I will run a complex 3D ref Point that I have and I will do the comparison with Alibre Points and Splines (That doesn't has for assemble WorkSpace!) that takes more than 30 minutes in the 3D point set. Also will be great if the script do a continuous connection with the spreadsheet so the feasibility to update directly the reference points and therefore the 2D&3D curve from any point changes of the spreadsheet like the Alibre Design Add-in or GP(Variables)or AlibreOOConnect. It may be that I'm asking a lot...
Thanks in advance!
GIOV

Edited: Alibre Points and Spline, takes

Last edited:

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi Stefan,
You scrips run faster than Alibre Points & Spline. It Takes only 1 minute in all points instead of more than half hours in my set of points.
Big achievement.
upload_2020-7-25_21-17-29.png

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello @GIOV ,

i've updated the script as described in the start post on top of the thread.
After reading in the attached table, the EE Editor looks now like:
upload_2020-7-31_17-17-30.png
if you run the script a second(or third...) time, the points with a same name will get a coordinate update from the tabel data, the points with new names will get added.
It's not an active link to the table, but i hope it points in the right direction:)

Regards
Stefan

GIOV

Alibre Super User
To be honest Andy gave the basis for this achievement whit its WizoScript.
Thanks Andy too!
Regards,
GIOV

Edited.

Last edited:

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi Stefan,
I running your script in my 64 laptop but I have other one that is 32 bits with old AD version & WizoScript 4.10 build 760:
Can you translate the scrip Table_to_3DPoints_forum_V03 to this old WizoScript version?
upload_2020-8-2_17-2-59.png
Thanks very much in advance,
GIOV

Edited

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Giovanni,

i haven't used WizoScript. If you try to run the script on your old machine, which error is thrown?

Regards
Stefan

To be honest Andy gave the basis for this achievement whit its WizoScript.
Thanks Andy too!
Hi Giov -- I suspect that your issue lies with the "difference" (ass-you-me'd on my part) between WizoScript and AlibreScript. Andy Ayres was the person behind WizoScript (thanks Andy) and Alibre is the group behind (with Andy's assistance, I am sure) AlibreScript. ??? -- Lew

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi Stefan,
Here are two screen pic that show the existing issue:
Before run
upload_2020-8-3_9-1-21.png

After 5 attempts to run it:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 15, in <module>
NameError: name 'CurrentPart' is not defined
>>>
upload_2020-8-3_9-3-31.png
I hope you find the solution.
Thanks in advance!
GIOV

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi Stefan,
For your knowledge,your CubicSpline script run in WizoScript 4.10.
I loaded the WizoTool 4.10 in resource, so you are able to download it.
Thanks in advance,
GIOV

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Giovanni,
as far as AlibreScript has gotten a few updates after the WizoScript times, i have to see if there is an "easy" way...(parts maybe work, assemblies need more tweak...)
Andy has removed it from the net with full intention...
There has been a post in the past, where he points to this.
So i won't install or use it.
Regards
Stefan

GIOV

Alibre Super User
as far as AlibreScript has gotten a few updates after the WizoScript times, i have to see if there is an "easy" way...(parts maybe work, assemblies need more tweak...)
Thanks so much for your effort!

There has been a post in the past, where he points to this.
Regarding to these topic; I understand Andy did the Wizotool with the focus in small business service and the agreement give clearly that is Free when the company size is less than 10 people. My company run with myself and my wife so I am in the rang to used this as free without obligation to keep the Alibre maintenance. Otherwise enter to a monopoly and is clear not the "Alibre"" Liber" service philosophy to give support to small business specially in this time. So I think in Alibre resource is right to have this zipped Wizotool.
Andy write in python: Free language by Guido van Rossum. Andy only develop the plug-translation between the language and Alibre software.Is not the full owner. He gives a service, Great service, but it is a service like Guido.
If Alibre staff don't take off the resource this means they agree with my point of view. "Si autem e contrario ipsi turpe"

https://www.python.org/

However feel free to do not download it and keep your effort in solve the issue with your side.

Thanks in Advance!
GIOV
Edited

Last edited:

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi Giov -- I suspect that your issue lies with the "difference" (ass-you-me'd on my part) between WizoScript and AlibreScript. Andy Ayres was the person behind WizoScript (thanks Andy) and Alibre is the group behind (with Andy's assistance, I am sure) AlibreScript. ??? -- Lew
Well if Andy is still giving assistance to AlibreScript will be great that the last Wizotool 4.10 (run in 32 bits) as Alibre Source may be able to run 2D &3D Point. If not anyway thank very much for the effort and achievements especially to Stefan, Andy and AD.
=If(Wizotool 4.10,Wizotool 4.10, AlibreScript).
Regards,
GIOV

Well if Andy is still giving assistance to AlibreScript will be great that the last Wizotool 4.10 (run in 32 bits) as Alibre Source may be able to run 2D &3D Point.
Hi Giov -- I "feel" (but do not know) that Andy is still involved. We do need to ensure that an appropriate base for his "statue" in the "Alibre Hall of Heroes" is waiting the "statue's arrival!" -- Lew

laverne3ca

Edit: Update to V03:
# V03 does no longer create copies of points, instead it changes their coordinate values
# the ee-parameter get the name of the point and an extension for the axis
# table cells now can also contain formulas
Stefan
I downloaded the script and ran it using the xlsx and as a csv file but each time got a 'no header found' error, what am I doing wrong? I'm trying to plot a 2D cam file, that's the reason for the 0 in the Z axis position.

Attachments

• 1376002 plotting_3.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 6