What's new

tracing images - I can't calibrate [fixed]

Bartek S

Atom3D v.22

Hi, my tracing images function is not working well. Maybe I'm doing something wrong - when I try to calibrate the distance between two points, vertically, horizontally... no matter .. always after pressing "ok" the image loses horizontal proportions (aspect).

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The Calibrate function is used independently - don't touch the X scale or Y scale controls if using Calibrate Size.

Try re-setting your Atom user profile (from link on Utilities tab of Home Window) - that's easy to try and can fix a lot of UI related issues.

If that doesn't work, download the installer from https://www.alibre.com/downloads/ then uninstall Atom, re-boot computer and re-install.

Bartek S

Thanks for the tips but unfortunately it still does not help .... I have already checked on 3 computers ... it is always the same - I can not set it. Does it really work for you?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Yes - works perfectly.

Suggest that you take some screenshots (or a video) during the process, and submit to support to try to work out what's happening.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello David,

as far as i do not need such features, i did not have tried it up to now...
I opened the "Tracing Image Dialog"
I loaded a picture to the xy-plane and pressed "Calibrate".
I picked the two "end points" of the measurement:
upload_2020-10-25_16-15-16.png

then i entered the desired value:
upload_2020-10-25_16-16-43.png
then i pressed "return" on my keyboard:
upload_2020-10-25_16-17-8.png
pressed "OK" to close the dialog.
I reopened the "Tracing Image Dialog" and pressed "Calibrate Size" and picked the same points as in the first attempt on the calibrated image:
upload_2020-10-25_16-18-54.png

As far as the input values are "automatically" corrected to 1 decimal it is what expected...
but i think that this should be so...

Regards
Stefan

Edit: So, a few hours later, sarcasm mode off, no further reaction. If i haven't used it wrong, the Scaling function works wrong for my opinion. Sarcasm mode on, Good, that i don't need this function...

Last edited:

Bartek S

Sorry, recorded quickly - You can't see the dialog box - but i just press "calibrate" and "ok" nothing else

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Stefan - I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

Why would you use Calibrate twice on the same image?

If you use calibrate and follow that with measure in sketch mode, do you get the correct size? ( I do - but I'm not assuming that you do).

idslk

Alibre Super User
Why would you use Calibrate twice on the same image?
The second time i did not use it completely, i called it only to show that it changes the scale of the image like you can see also in the video from Bartek S.
But only for you:
upload_2020-10-25_20-1-24.png
done one time the image scale, activated a sketch and drawn the lower yello line with a sketch dimension below.
Now the both lines should have the same length
It seems that the rounding in the input box has an influence to scaling.
Regards
Stefan

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Last edited:

Bartek S

For me, this function is crucial, so I really want it to work. The second time I run the calibration only to show you that by entering the dimension, for example 170 - after pressing "ok" the image expands to the actual 179 (you can see it in the movie). I printed the item once without knowing it, of course, to the trash :)

idslk

Alibre Super User
I'm not clear where you get the second dimension from - i.e. what are you comparing with what?
I "calibrated" a picture of a technical drawing.
So the one (first) dimension you see is from the picture and the second dimension is from the line in the sketch on the calibrated picture.
So in the sample of post #5 the calibration factor should be around 0.767.. but it is rounded to 0.8 and this causes a wrong calibration...
Regards
Stefan

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Stefan,

As far as I can see on my system, though the displayed factor is rounded, that doesn't seem to give any issues with the actual scale.

Are we dosing something different when using the tool, or is there something different between our computers...?

Can you share the starting image you used, so that I can try it - I'll send the result back. Either post it here, or send it as a 'conversation' to my inbox.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Seems to work fairly well for me....

Screenshot of sketch.jpg

Please try the part...

Attachments

• Scale Test.AD_PRT
    244.5 KB · Views: 5

idslk

Alibre Super User
Seems to work fairly well for me....
does not work very well for me... (the image file in your AD_PRT file is marked in read inside the scale box, so no testing possible for me)
As far as i have described how i've done it, i think it's your turn to tell how it has to be done...
Regards
Stefan

Bartek S

I downloaded the file - actually a good size ~ 98.6 .... and when i place cursor in any dialog (file name etc) the picture changes horizontally ~> 100mm. .Or maybe it's a matter of the program version ... Design expert or pro don't have this problem? Only Atom3d?

here's what i have:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I'm missing something here -

Stefan - why do you want to use 'calibrate' again - it has been calibrated. Just check if the line measure correctly for you, and looks the same size as the line in the image.

I inserted the tracing image, clicked Calibrate - clicked at each end of the line, return, OK. Next I opened 2D sketch mode and sketched a line, attempting to match length of line from image. I then dimensioned that sketched line.

Bartek - again why do you want to use calibrate for a second time ?

There may be something wrong - but I don't understand what you are trying to do.

idslk

Alibre Super User
I'm missing something here -
As said before: I don't had and i dont' want to use calibrate twice!!!
If i use it once and press "return" to go back to the Window the scale occurs and when i press the ok Button in the window the image jumps back!
So the order you described is the same what i did.
I've posted pictures of what happens...
Regards
Stefan

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Stefan - your sequence of images above (post #5) clearly shows that you did use calibrate a second time.

Even if I do use calibrate a second time, I don't see the issue you report - so something else is amiss.