What's new

How to read mass? [fixed]

Alexander

Obviously not ideal that this slipped through - the assembly weight calculation problem can be worked around using weight in BoM, as has already been pointed out by some.
Fix will ship in a service pack, should get an idea of likely date for that soon.

No workaround for the COG though, a major problem for me at the moment. I would of thought a fix for this would of been issued within a few days.
Not impressed, and not a Pro level reaction imo

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I would of thought a fix for this would of been issued within a few days.
Not impressed, and not a Pro level reaction imo
+1.

I found a firmware bug in one of my electronics lab instruments (Siglent) last week (item cost me £2K, they don't do maintenance contracts), but I got a firmware fix in less than 48 hrs to confirm it solves the problem before they rolled it into a full firmware release early this week. Also had issues with a £1K PCB editor (£70/yr maintenance) and they get fixes out the same day or following day. They have released 4 minor releases since August. As you say, Alexander, major bugs introduced should be rolled out with quick turnaround (days) service release patches for a £500+/yr maintenance contract (AD Expert)!

Sorry if it sounds harsh Alibre, but it's a big game changer for the Pro user.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Let's just add: this is a new bug, it worked fine before. So its up to Alibre to pull out all stops and get the fix out ASAP. Not in weeks or months. Otherwise it loses the 'pro' factor.
Sad there hasn't been a response. Its been a week since I posted the above and two weeks since the start of the thread.

ROTTER

Unfortunately, BoM is also showing very bad results. So the problem is still there.

Attachments

• Karuzela 00.00.00.pdf
    462.7 KB · Views: 10

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, BoM is also showing very bad results. So the problem is still there.

Have you toggled on 'Summary' mode ? I appreciate it may not be what you want to show in the drawing, but it should lead to a correct weight/total weight.

I'm not suggesting this isn't serious, am just trying to highlight ways that will allow some to work around this until the fix is available.

ROTTER

Thank you for trying to help. I don't know what "summary mode" is or how to turn it on. Or maybe I have it turned on?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
There is a 'Summary Form' button in the Ribbon of the BoM Editor - it sits between Re-sequence and Update.

It tells the system to ignore 'treat as part in BoM when used as a sub-assembly' setting - so you get items only shown as parts - not assemblies, and hence no (wrongly calculated) assembly weights.

That may or may not give you a workaround, depending upon exactly what you need.

[EDIT - another option is to make a separate BoM of any sub-assembly, to calculate the weight]

ROTTER

Indeed, when I split it into individual elements and transferred the data to OpenOffice, I was able to count the mass.
Now the table has 140 rows and it cannot stay that way.
But I calculated the mass - thanks for the advice.
In BoM I will have to remove the mass column.
So the mass of the elements is calculated correctly but adding the masses is wrong. Of course, you have to remember to give the elements the right materials. The default material causes a cosmic mass calculation.

vec

I found out that if the material density has a comma, it is handled as a dot, for alloy steel it results in a 10x mass increase. Carbon steel(0.40% C) does not have a comma and works correctly.

[EDIT by Alibre - QA/Development notified - issue logged. ]

Last edited by a moderator:

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I found out that if the material density has a comma, it is handled as a dot, for alloy steel it results in a 10x mass increase. Carbon steel(0.40% C) does not have a comma and works correctly.
With all the issues around localization, it seem that numbers in text fields are being treated as raw values and not converted using Locale settings. This seems to be a bit hit and miss depending on the functionality! Any application that is global, needs to handle ALL user input data (Textbox or File) and ALL user visible rendered data (UI) from the outset (using standard units and formatting internally), otherwise these kind of issues will continue to bite!

In C# that's done using CultureInfo. Using <variable_type>.Parse(<text_string>) converts the input string and setting UI text elements using <variable>.ToString(). Both do the conversion using the current CultureInfo.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
'Shortly' on this side of the pond generally means PDQ.
I informed one of my customers once that their supporting documentation will be with them 'shortly' and they contacted me a few hours later to say they still hadn't received them yet! o_O ... that's 'shortly' for you in the UK.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I informed one of my customers once that their supporting documentation will be with them 'shortly' and they contacted me a few hours later to say they still hadn't received them yet! o_O ... that's 'shortly' for you in the UK.
While living in South Africa I was introduced to the phrase 'now now' eg. "I will email your drawings to you now now." Over time I learned that now now means 'at some point in the future, possibly even today'.

Hunter

While living in South Africa I was introduced to the phrase 'now now' eg. "I will email your drawings to you now now." Over time I learned that now now means 'at some point in the future, possibly even today'.
Comes from the Afrikaans "nou-nou", and yes, it means at some point in the future, but not too distant future. Certainly not weeks, as is the case here ;)

ROTTER

It is better, but still very large mass summation error. The mass of the assembly, read from the model - 2205 kg. Maybe I am doing something wrong?

Attachments

• 01.02.00 - Napęd kpl.AD_PKG
    2.4 MB · Views: 9

ROTTER

The problem is in adding up the weight of the imported stp files. The stp element shows the correct mass after assigning the material. The error appears in summing this mass in an assembly.

JamesMC

The problem is in adding up the weight of the imported stp files. The stp element shows the correct mass after assigning the material. The error appears in summing this mass in an assembly.
Yes, and even weirder its only some imported stp files.
I have some castor models imported from the manufacturer which work fine, both in their own assembly and when used as a sub-assembly. But some bolts whose weight is correct on their own yet when assembled into fastener assemblies are telling me an M10 x 35 bolt, 2 flat washers, and a nyloc nut weighs 4.9kg???

Ha, I misread the weight of me bolt assembly, its Mass = 4.885390825E1 kg which is 48.8kg I think?
Still not correct anyway.

Last edited: