What's new

Help with labels

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Trying to render a mock CD cover, having problems with the cover insert. The cover insert is a simple 120 x 120 x 0.1 sheet. I gave it a material and then placed the cover png on top as a label. All that works fine.

To do the above I blank out the lid of the case. As soon as I unblank the lid the label on the cover insert disappears. The material is still active and I can see the cover insert shape through the lid, its just the label that goes. I have tried the various transparent plastics in keyshot but get the same result everytime.

What am I missing here?

bigseb

Alibre Super User
FWIW I have done something like this many many years ago. It worked then so why not now? Has Keyshot changed something?

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Had some success. Not much though. Got the insert to show through the lid by changing the lighting preset from basic to product. Problem is that the renders look awful. Very grainy regardless of my settings.

:(

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Haven't used labels for a while but usually setting the lighting to Product will give better results. Try increasing the Ray Bounces to see if that helps. Another thing that may put some light on the label is to make sure the label part is not touching anything on the surface that you have the label applied to.

Looking at your images in the gallery, try raising the case off the ground a bit so it's not creating a shadow right underneath it.

As for the grainy appearance, sometimes you have to increase the samples to get a good image. IF you are using KeyShot for Alibre and it has Region Render then use that to help determine the samples to get the results you want.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Haven't used labels for a while but usually setting the lighting to Product will give better results. Try increasing the Ray Bounces to see if that helps. Another thing that may put some light on the label is to make sure the label part is not touching anything on the surface that you have the label applied to.

Its not, there is a gap.

Looking at your images in the gallery, try raising the case off the ground a bit so it's not creating a shadow right underneath it.

I figured that out while fiddling about with it after I posted the pics in the gallery. Won't be updating the pics though.

As for the grainy appearance, sometimes you have to increase the samples to get a good image. IF you are using KeyShot for Alibre and it has Region Render then use that to help determine the samples to get the results you want.

This is the tricky one. Without the label on the insert and using the basic lighting preset the renders come out very good. Problem is I can get the label to show through plastic lid by using the product preset and that's when the graininess starts. It gets better when using max settings but this pushes the CPU temps to 85+ degrees. Not something I like to do.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I have had renders that needed to be set to 2000 samples in the final render. They took several hours to render and, yes, the CPU was cooking. You might try turning down the number of cores that KS uses, no sure it that will help with the heat issue but note that it will add time to the render.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
UPDATE:

Been playing around with this again today. Had some success by:
  1. Switch to performance mode
  2. Switch to GPU rendering (keeps temps down too)
  3. using max samples.
Happy with the result.

Important: the cover insert (the CD booklet if you will) is only visible through the lid when using performance, product and jewellery lighting presets.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Just saw this Will Gibbons video maybe it has something that will help.

I think Global Illumination needs to be on to see labels thru plastic. Both Product and Jewelry both employ Global Illumination. I'm surprised that labels are visible in Performance mode since that normally turns off Global Illumination unless it is somehow turned on for that mode.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
That video was very interesting!!! Lots of information right there. Also interesting to see how Keyshot for Alibre differs from full Keyshot.

And...

... dude has 64 cores. 64!! :eek:

bigseb

Alibre Super User
You might try turning down the number of cores that KS uses, no sure it that will help with the heat issue but note that it will add time to the render.

Using only 4 cores now and it does keep the temp down. Now its in the mid/upper 60's, about 15 degrees lower than before.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
That video was very interesting!!! Lots of information right there. Also interesting to see how Keyshot for Alibre differs from full Keyshot.

And...

... dude has 64 cores. 64!! :eek:
Yeah, he does have a monster machine, something I am wishing for.