What's new

Error in Library feature

OrjanB

AD Expert V24:
The new library feature is promising for future use, especially for generating standardparts.
In a forumthread I came across information telling that hidden in Alibre there is a library for fasteners.
I downloaded it and find it very useful.
Why is it not default when installing Alibre?
Are there other hidden treasures in Alibre?

Then to the matter for this thread:
Being in an assembly I start the library tool - start generate - choose ISO fasteners - bolts and screws - hexagon socked head - ISO 4762.
At the left bottom there is a field for filename.
Here I want to type i.e. Unbrako M16x50 as part name.
But it is not possible to use all letters on the keyboard.
When I try letter lower case "r" nothing happens, but upper case "R" is OK.
Seems that keyboard shortkey is activated when typing.
"r" starts rotate, "m" starts measure tool and so on.

Alibre team: Please fix this in V25 - thank you.

Orjan

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
That field is initially filled with the default name of the library part, but I can clear it and overtype with any name, using any letters (including r)

What are your language/keyboard settings - this could be region specific, or could be a a problem with your installation.

OrjanB

David:
Thank you for looking into it.
My keyboard is for use in Norway (Europe) with some keys specific for Norwegian.
Nevertheless, I have no problem when using this keyboard in other software based on english language.

Is there any settings for keyboard in Alibre?
I use the english/american version of Alibre.

I know that Alibre has versions in several languages.
Would surprise me if this occurs only in Norway.

Orjan

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I asked because we have seen a small number of oddities specific to certain regions/languages in Windows. I think it has been something to do with languages that use double byte characters.

Do you initially see the file field populated on selecting the fastener type?

Library in Assembly.jpg

OrjanB

Do you initially see the file field populated on selecting the fastener type?

Yes, I do

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Orjan,

within an assembly i started the part generator, have chosen the screw and typed in "your" part name:

1651945296301.png

I've updated the dimensions

1651945378807.png

and inserted the part into the assembly

1651945441147.png

Also saving runs without any problem

1651945590660.png

1651945777569.png

So there seems to be no general problem. It might be some with your install or special settings.

Regards
Stefan

OrjanB

Then I have to look forward to V25 and hope for a more successful installation if that is the problem.
Or perhaps try another keyboard, but I doubt that this is a keyboard-problem.
Perhaps a Windows-problem? (Win11)

Anyway, thanks for investigating.

Orjan

fabcadmz

I just tested this and I cant type anything that uses a key assigned to a shortcut.
For example, in the assembly workspace I have "l" assigned to linear pattern and "r" assigned to replace component. I can type "LARGE" but if I attempt to type "large", it will open the linear pattern dialog as soon as I type "l". If I attempt "Large", it will open the replace component dialog as soon as I type "r".

Using Alibre Design Expert V24 on Win 10.

OrjanB

I just tested this and I cant type anything that uses a key assigned to a shortcut.
For example, in the assembly workspace I have "l" assigned to linear pattern and "r" assigned to replace component. I can type "LARGE" but if I attempt to type "large", it will open the linear pattern dialog as soon as I type "l". If I attempt "Large", it will open the replace component dialog as soon as I type "r".

Using Alibre Design Expert V24 on Win 10.
Interesting.
Means that what I experience is not specific for my equipment and my installation.
I therefore have to repeat my prayer to the AD-team in my first post:
Please look into it. I am not alone.

Orjan

idslk

Alibre Super User
Please look into it. I am not alone.
I've checked it again and saw that i don't have "single letter single key" (like "r") shortcuts for functions. Every shortcut is a F1..12 or in combination with Ctrl, Ctrl+Shift or similar combinations.
If i use only an "r" as a shortcut it behaves like orjans.

Regards
Stefan

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I found record of a similar issue elsewhere in Alibre that was fixed for v24 - I'm hoping that we simply have to apply the same logic (to suppress shortcuts) to the 'filename' field. Have alerted QA.

OrjanB

I found record of a similar issue elsewhere in Alibre that was fixed for v24 - I'm hoping that we simply have to apply the same logic (to suppress shortcuts) to the 'filename' field. Have alerted QA.
Means that I do need to send a ticket and that it will be fixed in v25?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
It means that it will be checked and that IF it is the same issue as seen before the fix may be known.

I can't promise anything for v25 - new items stopped being added to the 'to do' list for v25 some while ago.

OrjanB

David: Thank you for clarifying.

I assume that any error discussed in the forum will be looked into by the Alibre-team, not only errors sent as support ticket.
Alibres main goal is, I take for granted, to deliver software working well for the users.

The forum represent the real world, therefore input from the forum must be of great interest for AD.

Orjan

Mika

Does Alibre have any plans to change this ”generator” to real ”library” some day?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Though not in the initial Beta release of version 25, it looks like a fix for this issue has been prepared for the next v25 build.

OrjanB

Sounds good - existing features should work flawlessly.

A step towards a real library as asked by Mika, would be to automatically give the generated part a name specific to that part and not a general name as now.
I.e. type/dimensions could be included in the filename.

Orjan

simonb65

Alibre Super User
A step towards a real library as asked by Mika, would be to automatically give the generated part a name specific to that part and not a general name as now.
I.e. type/dimensions could be included in the filename.
To make that more flexible, the filename format could be defined to include parameter tokens (from the formula editor and part properties) ...

i.e. %Series%_M%Diameter%x%Length%mm_%Material_Name% which would become a filename of say ISO1234_M4x12mm_Brass.

Therefore, no need to type anything in the filename and yet so flexible the user can define exactly how it needs to be named for their specific application.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Does Alibre have any plans to change this ”generator” to real ”library” some day?
What do you mean by 'real library'?

Are you looking for additional categories of pre-provided content, or some changes/additions to functionality?