What's new

Error in Library feature

dwc

Alibre Super User
What do you mean by 'real library'?

Are you looking for additional categories of pre-provided content, or some changes/additions to functionality?
A real library is that which I have been asking for since before V12.
Minimally it is a place where one can store parts that are read only so they can not be changed by accident.
This is a standard feature in every other professional CAD that I have ever used.
Its lack in AD is the reason that none of the companies I have worked for have ever considered AD for their CAD needs.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Minimally it is a place where one can store parts that are read only so they can not be changed by accident.
You can now set part and assemblies no as read only (v24 feature?), where you then put them is down to your file structure management. For me it's a half way house, but being able to set a file as read-only prevents (unintentional) modification ... an extension to this would be a feature built-in Alibre to browse this file structure (in the context of a library) with the ability to search that library to find the part/assembly you want to add to your assembly based on model properties or name.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
This is why I asked - people mean different things by simple words like 'library' - unless we provide detail we might all be talking about different aspects of the same thing, or even about totally different things!!

It is unrealistic to expect any enhancement/improvement/new feature without a detailed definition of user requirements - unless all you need is that the name matches (which seems unlikely).

dwc

Alibre Super User
You can now set part and assemblies no as read only (v24 feature?), where you then put them is down to your file structure management. For me it's a half way house, but being able to set a file as read-only prevents (unintentional) modification ... an extension to this would be a feature built-in Alibre to browse this file structure (in the context of a library) with the ability to search that library to find the part/assembly you want to add to your assembly based on model properties or name.
Yes, you can, I have been getting this reply since V12.
But it only works as long as AD doesn't decide to change the thumbnail image, which it appears to do pretty often even if the part doesn't change. If that is the case there is no way to save your assembly without saving the RO file too, to a different name, for example. But that is not the idea.
And this does not prevent you from making changes inadvertently and saving thinking it is just a thumbnail change from AD.
I do not understand why there is such resistance at AD to a feature that every other serious CAD has and is a requirement for many if not most companies, possible customers.
Ok, it is "only" file management, not a CAD function, but for many companies important enough to rule out ever using AD.
(Sorry, this has nothing to do with the problem of the OP, but i think it is important for AD's business case)

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Don - from v24 'non design intent' changes no longer update the internal version number. That means changing thumbnail or various view related settings won't up-rev the internal version and hence won't trigger a 'must save' of assemblies and drawings the item is used in. Alibre did listen.

Additionally you can set parts as either 'Notify' or 'Locked'

See

dwc

Alibre Super User
Well that is good news !
Unfortunately the markets aren't, at the moment, working in a way that might allow me an update.