What's new

3D model views...

jroy

Hi all,

just wondering if there is a way to modify the different orientations in Alibre to be Z-UP instead of Y-UP. If possible, how do you do that and keep it that way?

I'm asking cause I'm just used to seeing my models in a Z-UP orientation with other Cads.

Thanks in advance and have a nice day...

Jocelyn

simonb65

Alibre Super User
just wondering if there is a way to modify the different orientations in Alibre to be Z-UP instead of Y-UP. If possible, how do you do that and keep it that way?

I'm asking cause I'm just used to seeing my models in a Z-UP orientation with other Cads.
Short answer is sadly No! This has been discussed on the forum many times, but is yet to be addressed by Alibre. Most CNC, 3D Printing, even real world applications such as automotive and aerospace, Z is always up! The current 'fixed' co-ordinate system is based/has origins in old paper CAD drawings and 3D computer graphics.

jroy

Short answer is sadly No! This has been discussed on the forum many times, but is yet to be addressed by Alibre. Most CNC, 3D Printing, even real world applications such as automotive and aerospace, Z is always up! The current 'fixed' co-ordinate system is based/has origins in old paper CAD drawings and 3D computer graphics.
Thanks for the answer Simon.
Why would be such a small detail not implemented in Alibre?
I would like to hear why the Alibre team can't do this, it sounds like a small implementation detail, since Simon said it was discussed many times in the forum (did not know that, I'm fairly new to the world of Alibre).

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
All depends how you look at the world - which often changes with size of part.

Is your monitor representing the XY table on your mill (with Z out of screen towards you), or an XZ view (looking out of your kitchen window at your car ?

There is no 'correct' orientation - it tends to vary between CAD application, and Industries/Markets.

I'm not dismissing the question - just pointing out that there isn't a single answer.

Being able to set the default plane that sits parallel with the monitor in a new workspace might be a nice thig to add.

If we just changed it for everyone, as many would be upset as were pleased. Also have to consider any knock on effects, on the system and on existing designs.

jroy

Ok, I can accept that. Then why not make it something that a user can make as a choice in its settings. Seen this in other cads, making everybody happy.

Have a nice day David,

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Seen this in other cads, making everybody happy.
Such as?

The only one I can really compare to is SolidWorks that I used at work since v2007 and it did not have that option. (If it did no one showed me the magic button to change it.) But we worked mainly in sheet metal so it wasn't a big deal. And we didn't get complaints about the few items we had that needed to be molded or machined being in the wrong orientation.

So if you change it for your workflow then share a file with someone that doesn't wouldn't they be confused as they try to reorient to your system? :confused:

simonb65

Alibre Super User
So if you change it for your workflow then share a file with someone that doesn't wouldn't they be confused as they try to reorient to your system? :confused:
Most people I share models with are in the automotive sector and their "up" is Z, so I have to work on the side in order that the model is created in the correct orientation for export. For me the whole View Cube labels and default face selection icons are 90 deg out.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Solidworks has it since at least 2018 ... SolidWorks Co-ordinate System (this also allows for transforming the origin and orientation during exports!

Creo has it ... Creo Co-oridinate System
Thanks for prodding my memory. Now that you mention it I do recall having to insert a new coordinate system on an imported part once so we could use it in our models. In that case the supplier has created the part in an assembly context so it was nowhere near the origin. Adding the coordinate system got it back to 0,0,0 so we could use it.

Alibre has a Coordinate System too but only in 3D Sketches. And no way to select them on export or save that I can tell.

jroy

Such as?

The only one I can really compare to is SolidWorks that I used at work since v2007 and it did not have that option. (If it did no one showed me the magic button to change it.) But we worked mainly in sheet metal so it wasn't a big deal. And we didn't get complaints about the few items we had that needed to be molded or machined being in the wrong orientation.

DesignSpark Mechanical which is a very light weigth version of Spaceclaim gives me that choice. And all the Autocad clones I used were projecting the isometric views Z-UP. And as you mention SolidWorks is also Z-UP.

jroy

DesignSpark Mechanical which is a very light weigth version of Spaceclaim gives me that choice. And all the Autocad clones I used were projecting the isometric views Z-UP. And as you mention SolidWorks is also Z-UP.

mmtech

I had a similar question. Here is the thread: https://www.alibre.com/forum/index.php?threads/started-on-the-wrong-plane.23384/#post-156286

One suggestion was to create something like a plate that is oriented in the direction you need. Then bring in your other assembly as a part, and Boolean unite the assembly to the plate that's oriented correctly. Save it as a new assembly. Then delete the plate. What remains is your original assembly, oriented in a new way.

jfleming

Alibre Super User
I agree that it should be a chosen setting that the user can default to. I would absolutely prefer for it to be Z up.