What's new

Alibre view window freezes - I restart program - then view window is not visible. Help Please!

Hello Everyone,

I'm troubleshooting an issue I'm having with Alibre Design Professional V24 Build 24044. My software has started to freeze and require a full system reboot to begin working properly again. This can happen during an active work session, or when I take a break and come back to my computer after some time (and the computer does not have to go into sleep mode for this to occur). When the freeze happens, I can't move the model in the view screen, but other tools and buttons still seem to work. For instance I can still try to save my work, though I don't think it actually succeeds. I usually close Alibre through the task manager when this happens, and attempt to restart the program. This works as far as opening Alibre and loading a file... but then the view window never loads, and I'm left with a screenshot of my desktop where my model should be. See attached screenshot for the idea of what I'm left with. NOTE - Alibre tools still seem to be loaded... i.e. I can right click in the view area and get Alibre related menu options and tool selections, I just can't see any of my model!) This situation is only addressed by completely restarting my PC.

Has anyone seen this before? Here's the list of hardware I have, and the steps I've already tried.

Steps tried to remedy:
Repair install of Alibre V24 - No effect
Updated graphics drivers to most recent "Studio Drivers" from NVIDIA - No effect
Rolled back graphics drivers to latest "officially recommended" drivers hosted on Dell's support website - No effect

Other recent hardware added:
3DConnexion SpaceMouse Wireless - Have not tried uninstalling this, but can't quite imagine this would cause a graphics issue.

Computer:
Dell XPS15 9370 Laptop
Windows 10 64 bit
16gb RAM
Intel UHD onboard graphics and NVIDIA 1050ti MaxQ dedicated graphics
Driver for both graphics are currently NOT the latest, but are the ones officially recommended by Dell's support website.

Thanks in advance!
Keith

Attachments

• Alibre V24 issue screenshot.png
    Alibre V24 issue screenshot.png
    969.1 KB · Views: 15

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Has this previously worked OK, but is now giving problems? If so the question is 'what has changed' - on the computer and also possibly in your work. Since Spacemouse manipulates the graphics workspace, I wouldn't rule it out as a possible cause.

Do you use a docking port for the laptop? Any secondary display?

simonb65

Alibre Super User
As a starting point, I would uninstall the 3DConnexion software and try Alibre without that installed. The drivers over the last couple of years (since Win10 was released) have been quite problematic and have caused quite a few comments from users on here (me included).

I would also be inclined to not use the PC/Laptops manufacturers own graphics drivers, but to use the NVIDIA ones directly off the NVIDIA website. Manufacturers often add lots of 'extra' stuff that is never very up to date and has a habit of breaking things (learnt that from 30+ years of programming graphics based applications!).

Also, make sure your Win10 is all up to date too.

Did you install Alibre (and 3DConnexion) by right clicking on the installer .exe and 'Run as Administrator'? The later versions of windows updates are more and more protective about installers and it may be the case that some files were installed, but windows file protection (WFP) has since removed, rolled them back to an older version or blocked them altogether. A very common occurrence these days too!

Last edited:
Has this previously worked OK, but is now giving problems? If so the question is 'what has changed' - on the computer and also possibly in your work. Since Spacemouse manipulates the graphics workspace, I wouldn't rule it out as a possible cause.

Do you use a docking port for the laptop? Any secondary display?
Hi David. It's been a while since I hopped into Alibre for some CAD work. The SpaceMouse is a new addition around the same time, so you make a valid argument there. Also I do use two external displays with a Dell USB-C docking station, but those have not been a problem in the past.
As a starting point, I would uninstall the 3DConnexion software and try Alibre without that installed. The drivers over the last couple of years (since Win10 was released) have been quite problematic and have caused quite a few comments from users on here (me included).

I would also be inclined to not use the PC/Laptops manufacturers own graphics drivers, but to use the NVIDIA ones directly off the NVIDIA website. Manufacturers often add lots of 'extra' stuff that is never very up to date and has a habit of breaking things (learnt that from 30+ years of programming graphics based applications!).

Also, make sure your Win10 is all up to date too.

Did you install Alibre (and 3DConnexion) by right clicking on the installer .exe and 'Run as Administrator'? The later versions of windows updates are more and more protective about installers and it may be the case that some files were installed, but windows file protection (WFP) has since removed, rolled them back to an older version or blocked them altogether. A very common occurrence these days too!
Hi Simon, I will uninstall the 3Dconnexion software and see if my issue resolves itself. As for the drivers... I also hadn't considered that Dell would mess with NVIDIA's driver package. I do have all my windows 10 updates installed. In fact I have been actively avoiding upgrading to Windows 11 on this machine for fear of all my software suddenly fritzing out! To your last point... I don't recall purposely installing my Alibre and 3DConnexion software through the Run as Administrator options. While I agree your scenario is more than plausible regarding overly protective installation checks... it baffles me how software and hardware get designed to be less user friendly as time goes on. I just want my systems to work cleanly, quickly, and with no necessary tweaking to ensure basic functionality! Apparently that's still too much to ask!

I'll go uninstall 3DConnexion software now and see if my life doesn't return to normal.

Thanks to both of you!
Keith

simonb65

Alibre Super User
it baffles me how software and hardware get designed to be less user friendly as time goes on. I just want my systems to work cleanly, quickly, and with no necessary tweaking to ensure basic functionality! Apparently that's still too much to ask!
It's because the likes of Microsoft, Apple, etc are actively trying to stop malware and ransomware attacks and the net result is less and less access to core operating system functionality and ultimately harder to integrate and install applications. I could write really easy code to do things like self updating applications years ago, now you have to just through hoops to get access permissions from the OS in order to modify and register portions of applications ... and that's even more difficult if your trying to do that under a user account. I suspect, another 10 years and you'll only be able to install windows applications through a vetted mechanism like Apple! That's why so many developers are always leaning towards Linux and web based systems, which still gives you relatively large freedom to do stuff ... for now!

Sorry, if I digress from your original post, but I whole heartedly agree with you.

OK... so It's been about 6 hours since I last opened Alibre and left a model open. It hasn't frozen or crashed on me this time. The only change I made was going back to the latest driver for my NVIDIA graphics card, downloaded directly from NVIDIA and installed using "Run as Administrator". I suppose that's technically changing two variables at once, but this ain't a well run DOE.

Even though I only updated the NVIDIA graphics driver, I think Alibre is only running on the Intel onboard graphics. Selecting the drop-down menu does not show my NVIDIA graphics card at all. Last time this happened, I had to go into my NVIDIA settings and explicitly tell the computer to use my dedicated graphics card for Alibre. This could be a hint that the problem still exists within my NVIDIA software IF I chose to force that display device.

I will try that next to see if the problem returns.

Alibre V24 graphics card screenshot.png

simonb65

Alibre Super User
There is also a setting in Win10 to force applications to use performance settings. Set Alibre to use that too ...

1660727753704.png

1660727796832.png

@DavidJ, from a support perspective, these settings will need to be checked on every install with the new side-by-side installers as these preferences are specific to each .exe, and side-by-side has one for every version!! Just one to look out for if you get a new barrage of performance based questions on v25 and later! I just install in the old 'Alibre Design' directory (updating the exiting install) to mitigate these kind of associated issues.

Last edited:

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Selecting the drop-down menu does not show my NVIDIA graphics card at all.
Did you re-boot after installing the NVIDIA drivers?

Check to see if the NVIDIA adapter is listed in "System Information -> Display" ...

1660728543324.png

If it is, but still isn't listed in the Alibre dropdown, then you may need to contact support@Alibre.com. They may be able to tell you why it doesn't get listed when it is registered in your system. i.e. there may be some other criteria Alibre needs to use it like the support level of DirectX, OpenGL, etc!

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Keith, one additional piece of information,
please take a look, here is the path to the current AD version 25.0.1.037:

v25037.png

Thanks all. It's taken me a few days to get back to my home laptop instead of being on the work laptop. Alibre has been running without issue when connected to the Intel UHD graphics. I followed the suggestions on Win10 graphics settings that I did not know existed, so now Alibre.exe is set to use the NVIDIA graphics card. I have also did reboot after installing the latest NVIDIA drivers, and confirmed that my System Information screen shows the dedicated graphics card, so I believe the graphics drivers and hardware are all being read correctly. Now I'll try it for the next few days with the NVIDIA drivers doing all the work and see if my issue returns. Thanks for the help friends!