What's new

v26 Enhancement List

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
@Max , I like what is on the list, especially the changes to dimension, and anticipate the video to see how they work and maybe even Beta testing.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Is there a new feature list too? If this is just enhancements and bug fixes, I would have expected it to be v25 SP2!

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a new feature list too? If this is just enhancements and bug fixes, I would have expected it to be v25 SP2!
This release does not contain any whiz-bang new features, like the Wrap tool. Some context on our dev plans may help here.

We have [very] big-ticket projects happening in the background, the fruits of which you will not see until probably next release [27]. Those are consuming a significant amount of dev resources. In the meantime, there was a call loud and clear to make significant effort to address quality of life issues, bugs, poor quality, etc. in drawings, which the lion share of this release is about. This release focuses on the feel of using drawings, removing frustrating workflows / click hogs, improving the quality of the final output of drawings, etc. and is much needed. It is also a direct reflection of the (many) times such a release has been requested in the past.

So we can call it whatever you want - doesn't really matter - it's a big update that makes drawings a lot better.

VoltsAndBolts

I have been using Alibre since long before the dark years of Geo-tragic! And while the product hasn't always taken the update path I would have preferred. I am thankful to see that you guys have some vision for the product and its future and aren't just kicking the can down the road. In my career I've had access to many CAD packages. But I've always kept Alibre for my personal use and enjoy working with it. Keep up the good work!

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I'm really liking that tritanopia colorblind pallette! And dark mode too.

Will both be available at the same time. Dark mode withe the subdued colors of the tritanopia pallette?

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I'm very happy with the list in general and especially happy about these:

Change a Drawing View's Active Configuration​

The actively displayed configuration of a drawing can now be changed from the Drawing Explorer.

Retarget Dimension Tool (Drawings Only)​

A new tool allows you to redefine the target geometry associated with a dimension while maintaining customizations to the dimension. No more "delete and remake". Also works to quickly reassociate disassociated dimensions should they occur, while keeping rework to a minimum.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Will both be available at the same time. Dark mode withe the subdued colors of the tritanopia pallette?
For now, the colorblind palettes will all use the otherwise "Gray" color scheme, so no dark mode + colorblind mode. I can see colorblind dark palettes maybe in 27. Want to be sure we nail the colors themselves first. Unfortunately, the color-blind color palettes end at the ribbon/toolbar/menu. Design Explorer, for example, isn't converted to colorblind palettes at this time. It will hopefully creep to the entire rest of the UI in v27, but that remains to be seen.
I'm really liking that tritanopia colorblind pallette! And dark mode too.
Do you have tritanopia?

Ken226

Alibre Super User
For now, the colorblind palettes will all use the otherwise "Gray" color scheme, so no dark mode + colorblind mode. I can see colorblind dark palettes maybe in 27. Want to be sure we nail the colors themselves first. Unfortunately, the color-blind color palettes end at the ribbon/toolbar/menu. Design Explorer, for example, isn't converted to colorblind palettes at this time. It will hopefully creep to the entire rest of the UI in v27, but that remains to be seen.

Do you have tritanopia?

Yes. Actually I have both tritanopia and deuteranopia, but both pretty mild in magnitude.

Mild enough that while I couldn't pass the Ishihara test for the military, I was able to get the jobs I wanted by paying out of pocket to take, and then passing the Farnsworth test, 20+ years ago.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. Actually I have both tritanopia and deuteranopia, but both pretty mild in magnitude.

Mild enough that while I couldn't pass the Ishihara test for the military, I was able to get the jobs I wanted by passing the Farnsworth test, 20+ years ago.
Cool! Feel free to give me feedback as you like at max@alibre.com on how these work for you, or in a thread in the beta which will happen reasonably shortly.

bolsover

@Max
My personal wish list for improvements to the API

None of these should be particularly difficult since methods relating to these MUST already exist.

1 Add Helical Boss / Cut (IADPartFeatures Interface)
2 Add Circular Pattern (IADPartFeatures Interface)
3 Add Linear Pattern (IADPartFeatures Interface)
4 Expose Version Comment get/set in IADDesignProperties interface
5 Expose Material ID through IADMaterial interface

Keep up the good work.
David

Last edited:

GIOV

Alibre Super User
We have [very] big-ticket projects happening in the background, the fruits of which you will not see until probably next release [27]. Those are consuming a significant amount of dev resources. In the meantime, there was a call loud and clear to make significant effort to address quality of life issues, bugs, poor quality, etc. in drawings, which the lion share of this release is about. This release focuses on the feel of using drawings, removing frustrating workflows / click hogs, improving the quality of the final output of drawings, etc. and is much needed. It is also a direct reflection of the (many) times such a release has been requested in the past.

So we can call it whatever you want - doesn't really matter - it's a big update that makes drawings a lot better.
I am very happy about the planned improvement of 2D Workspace. It is very necessary. In my case, when I have a complex model, any anomalous detail makes the cut fail, but in rhino it is not like that. I wish 2D will be more robust and could generate cuts in spite of some tiny anomalous detail. I spent hours, for example, in discovering a sketch with a small problem in the model of the motorcycle that I mentioned a few days ago and when I corrected it, the cut developed perfectly. I think the issue is the "tangency" between two part of one assemble where the cut isn't successful.
I suggest investigate the Motorcycle and find the error that will explain my opinion.

Last edited:

JJHawg

I can't find a wish list anywhere so I will mention it here.
It would be really nice if each type of export file format would remember its own destination folder location. I'm running v24, so perhaps it has already been changed...