What's new

How to extrude cut an angled portion

Art K

I have been working on the cad drawings for a V8 bellhousing. I have gotten stuck at this point. I am trying to extrude cut the highlited portion. On the top you can see the surface in light blue and in red the other face this is the portion I want to cut. If I go to NEXT well at least last night when I was working on this it would cut all the way to the far side of the radius mounting bolt flange. I know my abilities in cad are not spectacular but I can usually figure it out, your help is appreciated.
Art

Attachments

• bellhousing.png
    bellhousing.png
    575.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Flat Head V8 Bellhousing.AD_PRT
    1.6 MB · Views: 8

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
If I go to NEXT well at least last night when I was working on this it would cut all the way to the far side of the radius mounting bolt flange.
Are you sure you didn't have Through All selected? I think the reason To Next doesn't seem to work is because you have the sketch on a plane that is offset from the surface and it is cutting To the Next surface which happens to be the one you should have the sketch on.

If you place the sketch on the side face of the housing then To Next will cut to the next feature/surface. If you could create the mounting bolt boss after the current extrude cut you may have better results since Alibre may have an issue ending a cut on the curved surfaces or it may go thru them.

I modified your sketch to remove the slope then used the To Geometry type and selected the opposite face. After the cut I used a Chamfer to remove the step and create the slope. In order to get accurate values for the chamfer I set the decimal display to six places then measured the feature for values to enter into the chamfer tool.

As an alternate, if you have the Direct Edit tools you can cut Through All then use the Remove Face tool to remove the top face of the cut that extends thru the far side boss.

One final note, add your Alibre version to your signature or at least mention it when posting so we know how to answer and you won't get suggestions that your version is not capable of performing.

Attachments

• Flat Head V8 Bellhousing-1 wMODIFIED SKETCH AND CHAMFER.AD_PRT
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • Flat Head V8 Bellhousing-1 wTHROUGH ALL AND REMOVE FACE.AD_PRT
    1.6 MB · Views: 9

Art K

Thanks Albie & Harold,
I will work through these reply's and figure out how you did this. So I can do it myself next time!
Art

Art K

I have had some time to look at this, amongst preparations for the holiday and family joining us. Albie your solution was similar to Harold's "through all and remove face". Harold, I was able to repeat that on my own drawing. I couldn't figure out the other one the " modified sketch & chamfer. I understand extrusion 14 but edge chamfer 16 I'm not following. If I highlight it, it shows the face but I can't figure the edge what/were is it. and I can't match up the distance 1: 0.688800 or distance 2: 0.092789 to anything. Although It could be something as simple as the drop down menu on move face was hiding the remove face selection. What am I missing?
Art

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I couldn't figure out the other one the " modified sketch & chamfer. I understand extrusion 14 but edge chamfer 16 I'm not following. If I highlight it, it shows the face but I can't figure the edge what/were is it. and I can't match up the distance 1: 0.688800 or distance 2: 0.092789 to anything. Although It could be something as simple as the drop down menu on move face was hiding the remove face selection. What am I missing?
Art
I was going to write an explanation but found it easier to record a short video.

Art K

Harold,
I have worked through the second one you did. Once I figured it out was quite easy.
Thanks
Art