What's new

Iris Xe sufficient?

dalbert

I mainly work on a desktop, but occasionally want to go portable. I'm looking into new laptops and am curious: does AD work well enough on modern Intel integrated graphics (Iris Xe) without a dedicated graphics card or should I focus on laptops with RTX 3050 ti or better? Thanks!

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I mainly work on a desktop, but occasionally want to go portable. I'm looking into new laptops and am curious: does AD work well enough on modern Intel integrated graphics (Iris Xe) without a dedicated graphics card or should I focus on laptops with RTX 3050 ti or better? Thanks!

My Lenovo Ideapad uses Iris Xe. I think it works very well for all but the biggest complex assemblies. Oddly, my Lenovo with integrated Iris Xe runs smoother and faster than my 8 core 4ghz desktop with a dedicated 4gb memory Radeon graphics card.

I think the difference is that the Iris Xe laptop uses DDR4 memory, which has double the data rate of the DDR3 memory in the desktops dedicated graphics card.

I have no complaints.

dalbert

My Lenovo Ideapad uses Iris Xe. I think it works very well for all but the biggest complex assemblies. Oddly, my Lenovo with integrated Iris Xe runs smoother and faster than my 8 core 4ghz desktop with a dedicated 4gb memory Radeon graphics card.

I think the difference is that the Iris Xe laptop uses DDR4 memory, which has double the data rate of the DDR3 memory in the desktops dedicated graphics card.

I have no complaints.
Thanks Ken, that's exactly what I was looking for. AD runs great on my desktop (i7 Gen 11 with RTX3060) but my older (i5 Gen 8) laptop bogs down pretty quickly. There seem to be lots of gaming laptops with RTX30xx GPUs these days, but they tend to be heavy, run hot, and have short battery life. I was hoping that a new Gen12 i7 with IrisXe would be sufficient and it sounds like it should be. Much obliged!