What's new

Recent content by dalbert

1. D

STL "import"

Thank you @Hunter stltostp worked perfectly! For anyone uncomfortable installing the unsigned .msi (windows installer) file, it is trivial to rebuild from source using any gpp toolchain (just cmake, then make).
  2. D

Iris Xe sufficient?

Thanks Ken, that's exactly what I was looking for. AD runs great on my desktop (i7 Gen 11 with RTX3060) but my older (i5 Gen 8) laptop bogs down pretty quickly. There seem to be lots of gaming laptops with RTX30xx GPUs these days, but they tend to be heavy, run hot, and have short battery...
  3. D

Iris Xe sufficient?

I mainly work on a desktop, but occasionally want to go portable. I'm looking into new laptops and am curious: does AD work well enough on modern Intel integrated graphics (Iris Xe) without a dedicated graphics card or should I focus on laptops with RTX 3050 ti or better? Thanks!
  4. D

Freelancers?

Great, would you send me your contact info please? (dalbert@tenetics.com) Thanks!
  5. D

Freelancers?

Are there any experienced AD freelancers out there?
  6. D

v26 Enhancement List

I agree, none of the big vendors would jump on that train unless required to; that's why I suggested that such an approach must be driven by big customers like DoD, automotive, etc. Any initiative towards an open format could be proposed by vendors, and vendors would likely be very active in...
  7. D

v26 Enhancement List

A standard exchange format for editable models (not mesh or parasolid) would be huge. Even with limited feature support, a truly portable model would be a game changer. Obviously, this doesn't already exist because larger CAD vendors don't want it, preferring to hold their customers hostage...
  8. D

Alibre licensing

I understand that as a hobby user, you may find AD too expensive (heck, I'd like a lamborghini, but it's too expensive for me), and I too hope Alibre finds a better way to tackle hobby and educational markets, but I don't think it's fair to characterize their pricing as unfair. Alibre has to...
  9. D

Alibre licensing

I think that what @BobSchaefer was pointing out is that just as Alibre has regular (maybe perpetual) sales, they also periodically waive that $200 "punishment" and so you can purchase the software once, not pay maintenance unless it's for something you really need/want, and then go on...
  10. D

Alibre licensing

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Rhino either. Is MoI Moment of Inspiration (this: http://moi3d.com/index.htm)? I'm new to 3d modeling; how exactly does it work with AD? What do you use it for? I think you get and stated it quite well: Alibre trades on the fact that their product is a...
  11. D

Alibre licensing

I don't know what Moi is (but am interested). In the interest of fairness and accuracy: 1) it's not true that if you stop paying the F360 subscription your files go away; according to Autodesk, they do not delete your files even if your subscription expires and 2) if nothing else, you can...
  12. D

Alibre licensing

@BrianC I agree with you that many prosumers and light business users will be reluctant to pay $465 annually or $665 periodically for updates, particularly if the main value of those updates is bug fixes. For a heavy business user, that level of maintenance is no problem and an easy decision...
  13. D

Alibre licensing

@BrianC I recently purchased AD Expert and so far, I am happy with the decision. Here's why: * Alibre support is amazing. I too had concerns about licensing, reached out to Alibre, and found their team was unbelievably responsive (even on a Sunday on a holiday weekend). I've never seen...
  14. D

Alibre licensing

Thanks again to all who have replied here. I've purchased AD Expert and will be working on learning it. I'm super-impressed with Alibre support; @DavidJ responded immediately to a support query on a holiday weekend Sunday! And @Max himself responded in this forum a short while...
  15. D

Alibre licensing

Thank you @simonb65, the old license sounds like a good compromise: most users would be well covered by 2-3 machines: work, home, laptop. My perspective on licensing/purchase/subscription is informed by my experience with CadSoft Eagle (an electronics CAD package). I bought a 3-user...