What's new

Recent content by dalbert

1. D

Alibre licensing

I understand that as a hobby user, you may find AD too expensive (heck, I'd like a lamborghini, but it's too expensive for me), and I too hope Alibre finds a better way to tackle hobby and educational markets, but I don't think it's fair to characterize their pricing as unfair. Alibre has to...
  2. D

Alibre licensing

I think that what @BobSchaefer was pointing out is that just as Alibre has regular (maybe perpetual) sales, they also periodically waive that $200 "punishment" and so you can purchase the software once, not pay maintenance unless it's for something you really need/want, and then go on...
  3. D

Alibre licensing

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Rhino either. Is MoI Moment of Inspiration (this: http://moi3d.com/index.htm)? I'm new to 3d modeling; how exactly does it work with AD? What do you use it for? I think you get and stated it quite well: Alibre trades on the fact that their product is a...
  4. D

Alibre licensing

I don't know what Moi is (but am interested). In the interest of fairness and accuracy: 1) it's not true that if you stop paying the F360 subscription your files go away; according to Autodesk, they do not delete your files even if your subscription expires and 2) if nothing else, you can...
  5. D

Alibre licensing

@BrianC I agree with you that many prosumers and light business users will be reluctant to pay $465 annually or $665 periodically for updates, particularly if the main value of those updates is bug fixes. For a heavy business user, that level of maintenance is no problem and an easy decision...
  6. D

Alibre licensing

@BrianC I recently purchased AD Expert and so far, I am happy with the decision. Here's why: * Alibre support is amazing. I too had concerns about licensing, reached out to Alibre, and found their team was unbelievably responsive (even on a Sunday on a holiday weekend). I've never seen...
  7. D

Alibre licensing

Thanks again to all who have replied here. I've purchased AD Expert and will be working on learning it. I'm super-impressed with Alibre support; @DavidJ responded immediately to a support query on a holiday weekend Sunday! And @Max himself responded in this forum a short while...
  8. D

Alibre licensing

Thank you @simonb65, the old license sounds like a good compromise: most users would be well covered by 2-3 machines: work, home, laptop. My perspective on licensing/purchase/subscription is informed by my experience with CadSoft Eagle (an electronics CAD package). I bought a 3-user...
  9. D

Alibre licensing

Thanks @Ken226 and @DavidJ, that's very helpful; I was dismayed when I saw the maintenance requirement for re-licensing on the website and assumed the same was true for use through the software; I'm glad to hear that's not the case! In fact, that was enough to get me to pull the trigger and buy...
  10. D

Alibre licensing

@Ken226 Is your AD under maintenance? Do you know if you can un-license and re-license from the application once it is not under maintenance? My maintenance expires tomorrow (11/28) so, if I'm not locked out of the forum at that point, I'll try it and post the results here. If it can be done...
  11. D

Alibre licensing

I've been trying to decide whether to purchase AD Expert or an F360 subscription. Both AD and F360 are excellent CAD packages; Alibre is offering some great Black Friday pricing; I really hate software rental and want to buy AD, but when I took a harder look at Alibre licensing, I just couldn't...