What's new

Recent content by eron

1. E

Trigonometric Functions in the Equation Editor

So your advice is to do all calculations in Scale type parameters and then reference those in Distance type parameters to avoid the units and reserved parameter name issues. This sounds like a good practice. I've always just used Distance and been frustrated when I ran into weird glitches which...
  2. E

I'm pretty sure if you just change that variable "m" to something else it will fix the main issue you are having. I updated the equations as shown and your gear stayed the same. This should at least help the equations be more straightforward.
  3. E

This is the key to the whole problem. The OP has a variable named "m" which conflicts with Alibre's "m" variable. Alibre's "m" is 1000 mm which overrides any user variable of the same name. Equation Dp1 is: (m*Z1)/200 which is actually (1000 * 58)/200 which equals 290 The OP expects: (m*Z1) to...
  4. E

Coil Spring

That is really cool!
  5. E

Coil Spring

Ok that makes sense. Another thing I realized is that each spring would have to be a separate model, not just a duplicate instance. That way each spring can reference its own piston/valve for the correct length.
  6. E

Coil Spring

Yes, the spring updates between each increment of movement when using Precise Placement.
  7. E

Coil Spring

Another way to do this is by designing the coil spring within the assembly and setting the spring height using a driven parameter linked to the surfaces that will be moving. Then when the pistons move, the spring will be resized. One limitation is that it doesn't resize the spring until you...
  8. E

M files woes...

The license key is called the Alibre Vault license key and there is also an Alibre Vault serial number. Alibre may have these on file from your purchase, its worth contacting them. Once you install M-files, you can choose to Restore Document Vault from the Server Administrator application.
  9. E

Trimmed Surface

I believe this can be accomplished by adding the part to an assembly and creating an Assembly Boolean of the part. Save the assembly and you should be asked for a filename for the Assembly Boolean. The Assembly Boolean should not retain its modeling history and can then be exported.
  10. E

How do I align a tube to a spoked wheel?

Thank you Stefan, I see that you mated a point on the pulley to a plane on the spokes and did this with two spokes to completely constrain the parts. It does work well, even when the spokes or pulley are changed. I didn't realize you could constrain to a point. This has all been very helpful! Eron
  11. E

Here are photos of the actual wheel the pulley will install to. The boat is Cheoy Lee Clipper 48. The system is an auxiliary wheel mounted autopilot. The wheel is driven at about 6 RPM.
  12. E

Thompson, I really like this approach, it is simple and adaptable. I was hung up on forcing the modeled parts to constrain together as they are and did not consider adding some features just to make the constraints work. Thank you!
  13. E

Hi Stefan, I would be interested in seeing how you did that. In practice, these hooked bolts tend to rotate depending on the diameter of the spokes, so they aren't perfectly square. I am still wondering if there is a way to mate/align/tangent the inner edge of the pulley with the spokes so they...
  14. E

Hi Lew, I am not sure how that would improve things but I appreciate the effort! The background on this project is that this motor and pulley system retrofits to almost any existing spoked steering wheels. The pulley and J-bolts are already designed and the Alibre work is for calculating belt...
  15. E

Hi Stefan, I could mate the flat ends of the hooks with the pulley surface but then the pulley would be interfering with the spokes. Here is the package. When complete, the assembly will look like this image. The Z position of the other parts depends on the position of the pulley relative to...