What's new

Recent content by OTE_TheMissile

1. OTE_TheMissile

When did you start using the best cad system in the world?

Discovered Alibre when I started my new job working at RIVCO Products in January of 2008, they'd only just purchased the package and I was the guy they got to figure it out & redraw all of their product designs to it. Spent about 2 weeks randomly punching the keyboard before I got completely...
  2. OTE_TheMissile

Cut a piece into several ones?

The quick-and-dirty way would be to model the entire stringer as one piece, Save As 3 copies of it as different files, then add a Cut to each of those 3 files to break the model up into 3 pieces. More proper way would be to again model the stringer as one piece, add 3 Cut features representing...
  3. OTE_TheMissile

Adding Knurling to a part

I've done it in 3D for a giggle once or twice. Two helical sweeps in opposite directions with a feature pattern. And yeah, computer hated it :D EDIT: Probably my best, likely because it's so short.
  4. OTE_TheMissile

Sketches visible after feature

Been that way as far back as I can remember. Usually they camouflage themselves among the edges of the Extrude or Cut they create, but if you're removing material at the edge of the part or if the Sketch is a projection from a sheetmetal Flange, they end up visibly hanging out in space. But...
  5. OTE_TheMissile

Union Pacific #4017 Big Boy

I couldn't tell how fast it was going & am not smart enough to know how to edit videos on my phone lol
  6. OTE_TheMissile

Union Pacific #4017 Big Boy

I haven't had a reason to go up that way in ages or I'd make a trip out of it. There's an R/C track I raced at a few times near there, but I got out of the hobby around 2015. I have seen the restored #4014 run past me when it came through on its first tour. One of those things your brain...
  7. OTE_TheMissile

Clear all shortcut in measure window?

My college instructor got me into the habit of double-clicking on the background of my workspace between every operation I did while modeling. He called it "wiping the mouse". Conveniently it also means none of my coworkers want to take up the desk right next to mine in the office, because...
  8. OTE_TheMissile

Arc between two points with a specific depth [solved]

No prob. I use that Slot Dimension tool all the time, it's a powerful piece & relatively easy to understand if you take a minute to study the diagrams. And of course, regular practice. Couple of hints: -Always click the line (or point) first and the arc second. You can do the reverse but...
  9. OTE_TheMissile

Arc between two points with a specific depth [solved]

Draw your arc using 3 Points (Start, End, Radius), first 2 clicks will be the 2 upper points you already have drawn, 3rd click to set radius can be broadly anywhere as long as the arc is curved in the right direction & above your bottom line. Dimension tool, click the bottom line first and the...
  10. OTE_TheMissile

I took the plunge

When I was hired to work for RIVCO, I'd never heard of Alibre Design. Spent my first 2 weeks rolling my face across the keyboard just to see what happened. When that stopped working, I found these forums. That was...2008? Point is, you're in good hands.
  11. OTE_TheMissile

Struggling to constrain pipe fittings in an assembly

Rule of thumb: always constrain to reference geometry whenever possible, and by association always try to design your parts to take advantage of reference geometry. They should always be your most reliable source of assembly constraint features.
  12. OTE_TheMissile

Re-modeling an STEP file?

This isn't exactly the same scenario but it illustrates the idea; this is a trailer hitch we make for Indian's big bagger motorcycle (RIVCO part number IC007-V2 [/shameless plug]) that attaches to part of the rear fender/saddlebag support. We were able to figure out where the two pairs of bolts...
  13. OTE_TheMissile

Re-modeling an STEP file?

What I'd do in this situation is recreate the part within the best of my ability, then start an Assembly with the given model and the one I created constrained to the same spot, so they're merged together. Make one model a different color than the other and you can see where surfaces don't line...
  14. OTE_TheMissile

Sheet metal practice

Yeah my focus has never been getting models/prints out as fast as humanly possible, I lean more towards modeling in ways that are easy to understand if I need to come back later to make changes or revisions. "Always do a good job for the next guy, because the 'next guy' is you." -AvE Which is...