What's new

2D Workspace Region Properties "URGENT"

Is this topic relevant for you?

• Yes, because I am professional user of the software and I need these tools for optimise the design.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • No, because I don't need these tools in my professional field.

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • No, because I am hobbyist.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Yes, I am hobbyist but I do like have these tools to make best my model.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GIOV

Alibre Super User
this is a conversation you need to have with Max
Thanks for the suggestion.I send an e-mail to him.
What about GrafiCalc® ?
Thanks very much Ralf for the link but I insist that the Region Properties in 2D WorkSpace and Plane section of Part WorkSpace should not be too difficult to implement in AD. The Software will be better for all.

Last edited:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Like I said, without more info of your process needs there is nothing we can do. With more info a script could probably be made to adjust, test, output, and repeat.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello colleagues,

i've quickly made a little part with contains a script(not very tidy or optimized)...
It's not a "ready to work with" script! Nore the results should be used for work!
It's only to show, that calculating Area Moments of Inertia with AlibreScript is possible...
Open the part(a tiny part...), launch AlibreScript and start the script.
The sketches are dimensioned (except the angles of the polygon...not enough sparetime ;-)...) so you can check the results with an online calculator...

upload_2020-12-15_16-29-37.png

upload_2020-12-15_16-27-40.png

Regards
Stefan

Attachments

• Flaechentraegheitsmoment.AD_PRT
    363.5 KB · Views: 11

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi Stefan,
Thanks for your feeddback!
The idea is in PartWorkSpace in section View goto toll>measure>face> Area Properties. The same idea in the 2DWorkSpace as Region Properties.
upload_2020-12-15_11-45-54.png
upload_2020-12-15_11-49-7.png
upload_2020-12-23_15-51-30.png
upload_2020-12-23_15-54-42.png

Last edited:

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Speak to Alibre and see what they say.
Like I said, this is a conversation you need to have with Max, maybe PM him directly to voice your concerns. For what it's worth, I'd like to see more functionality in AD but for my needs right now, as a hobbyist, it is pretty good. If I were using it as a business tool I'd likely push for more.
I have received a support notice that my requirement is on the list of feature enhancements. I hope it is a high priority since AD should be a serious program that supports the engineering study of their customer. This is essential.
Some things will NEVER happen with Alibre.
Of course this feature will be in Alibre!

Last edited:

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I have received a support notice that my requirement is on the list of feature enhancements. I hope it is a high priority since AD should be a serious program that supports the engineering study of their customer. This is essential.
There have been some serious engineering requests for enhancements to Alibre since v12 (that I'm aware of) that still haven't been fixed or implemented yet, so I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet @GIOV !

GIOV

Alibre Super User
There have been some serious engineering requests for enhancements to Alibre since v12 (that I'm aware of) that still haven't been fixed or implemented yet, so I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet @GIOV !
If you are mechanic engineer this feature is "BASIC" for a software that it is said to support this area. so I understand must be a firth priority. Von Mises or Tresca Yield criterion is not a law so need a manual calculus to achieve the correct result to follow rules. Brian Vieira must know that. So for a fast iteration the Part WorkSpace Section View Tool area properties in measure window or 2D Drawing WorkSpace region properties are essential.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi Max,
Some news regarding to this requirement. It has 1000+ views, so is not irrelevant for many peoples and so important for me.
Thanks,
GIOV

sz0k30

Hi Max,
Some news regarding to this requirement. It has 1000+ views, so is not irrelevant for many peoples and so important for me.
Thanks,
GIOV

I look at all the posts. Mainly I do it to try to learn more, even though most of them ARE irrelevant to me.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Those 1000+ views are the same people revisiting the post to read the new comments ... most are probably just passing interest, so I wouldn't read much meaningful information oug of the viewing numbers. Probably the 'URGENT' clickbait in the title got more views as well !!

If a feature is important to you. Speak to Alibre support directly and make a strong case for them to divert their time and resources onto it. A forum isnt a metric that holds any meaning ...unless you try adding a user poll to it !

GIOV

Alibre Super User
If a feature is important to you. Speak to Alibre support directly and make a strong case for them to divert their time and resources onto it. A forum isnt a metric that holds any meaning ...unless you try adding a user poll to it !
I think you don't understand the important that is the feature for the design iteration. May be is not your case.
Not relevant at all.
Ok no worry, only I trying to make the software better. I am MD in my field from a prestigious university and I know that is not irrelevant as minimum feature tool of mechanic 3D software. don't need to give a lot of explanations to people who really know the field.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
For the record I think I've read almost every post here since I joined the forums. Maybe 30% are relevant to my needs. But I read to see if I can help someone else or maybe to learn something that may help me in the future.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
This is an example of the Section & Region properties are important because is not only the fatigue by Fem analysis among other important factors such as the quality of the material used.
Mechanics Engineers here what is your opinion on this?
upload_2021-2-24_20-41-21.png

Last edited:

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Mechanics Engineers here what is your opinion on this?
View attachment 32952
Bah... spot of weld and she'll be fine. ;)

Seriously though, I would love to see Alibre remain a serious contender as far as engineering software goes. It won't be used for anything aviation related though. That's Catia's realm. And they use Patran and Nastran for FEM, not sure if they think its viable to partner with a (and I say this with love) 'nobody' like Alibre. Can't hurt to suggest it though.

If our closest current rival is Solidworks then maybe Alibre should focus on achieving a similar functionality to SW. For the time being anyway.

jfleming

Alibre Super User
process trying to be achieved in this post is not relevant to me, but i can understand why it would be needed/wanted in the 2D drawing environment.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
process trying to be achieved in this post is not relevant to me, but i can understand why it would be needed/wanted in the 2D drawing environment.
Thanks for your comment.:)
Yes, This can be an example that it is important to do calculations based on the section modulus where the moment of inertia is very relevant to achieve the minimum design requirements and doesn't need a super software for to do that.

Last edited:

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hello colleagues,

i've quickly made a little part with contains a script(not very tidy or optimized)...
It's not a "ready to work with" script! Nore the results should be used for work!
It's only to show, that calculating Area Moments of Inertia with AlibreScript is possible...
Open the part(a tiny part...), launch AlibreScript and start the script.
The sketches are dimensioned (except the angles of the polygon...not enough sparetime ;-)...) so you can check the results with an online calculator...
Hi Stefan,
In ref to your post #23
Do you have this script for run and see the accuracy?
Thanks in advance!