What's new

2D Workspace Region Properties "URGENT"

Is this topic relevant for you?

• Yes, because I am professional user of the software and I need these tools for optimise the design.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • No, because I don't need these tools in my professional field.

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • No, because I am hobbyist.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Yes, I am hobbyist but I do like have these tools to make best my model.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Hi Stefan,
In ref to your post #23
Do you have this script for run and see the accuracy?
Thanks in advance!
It's right there at the bottom of the post.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Do you have this script for run and see the accuracy?
a little part with contains a script
If you had downloaded the part (over a year ago...), you should have discovered the included script...
It is only a very tiny demo and nothing more!!!
To develop such a function for "professional use", would be so much work that i wouldn't invest. Never ever!
I can understand your needs, but go and buy an commercial product for your special need and you'll be fine.

Regards
Stefan

FBC

I know this is an old post but after reading through it, I understand what GIOV is asking for.

I'm a mechanical and civil engineer and what GIOV is after is something like the attached pic.

When I'm designing something that has a required section modulus I use Auto Cad (still using 2002) to design and get the required regional section properties first, then I save each member in seperate .dwg files and open them into Alibre drawing workspace, then copy/paste into a new part workspace and extrude. I've been using Alibre for 19 years and have always used this method.

However, if I change the design mid-stream (or had a model already made), it would be nice if while in the drawing workspace I could create section views at any point and get the section properties at that point.

Currently I have to export the section view(s) (entire drawing) to .dwg and the run the section properties in Auto Cad.

The properties would not have to include all of those on the attached pic, most important would be: area, moment of inertia (x,y), bounding box (x,y) and center of gravity. The section modulus and radii of gyration etc. can be calculated from this information,

I can imagine that it would be time consuming to create a feature that would only analyze the hatched areas of the section view and allow the removal of non-critical hatched areas before getting the properties.

Because of this, I would not make a request for this feature but it would be nice and save me some steps.

I like what GIOV is asking for, but not for making drawings/analyzing and then models, but for analyzing section properties of an already made model or assembly at any section view.

Sorry for the long post, can't sleep.sect01.jpg