What's new

v26 Enhancement List

Ken226

Alibre Super User
It's like the custom symbol tool, except easier because you don't have to open a drawing or explode anything.

If you already have multiple part files open, and need a different sized iteration of a feature from part A, but in a different size, on part D, copy/paste and scaling the sketch is quick.

It doesn't disrupt the workflow as much as creating a drawing for no other purpose then copying the sketch Into a drawing, creating a custom symbol or catalog feature, saving it, then inserting it into a sketch in another part.

And you don't have to go find and delete the catalog feature/custom symbol that your never going to use again, lest in year you end up with hundreds of useless custom symbols in a file somewhere.

Scaling a sketch isn't a need, so much as a convenience. Alibre is the only CAD program I've ever used that didn't have it. I'm getting along fine without it, but if someday a programmer at Alibre finds himself with an extra hour available and isn't busy with something else, it would be a nice feature to add.

Last edited:

dalbert

A standard exchange format for editable models (not mesh or parasolid) would be huge. Even with limited feature support, a truly portable model would be a game changer.

Obviously, this doesn't already exist because larger CAD vendors don't want it, preferring to hold their customers hostage. Support for an open model would require pressure from BIG customers (i.e. DoD, automotive, etc.). Ideally vendors like Alibre (perhaps partnered with other smaller vendors) could work with such customers and a standards body (ANSI, ISO, MIL, etc.) to define an open exchange format. The benefit to customers is obvious and once a standard exists, and DoD mandates its use, it's adoption by the larger vendors would be inevitable.

Is this something Alibre would consider pursuing?

Mibe

Alibre Super User
A standard exchange format for editable models (not mesh or parasolid) would be huge. Even with limited feature support, a truly portable model would be a game changer.

Obviously, this doesn't already exist because larger CAD vendors don't want it, preferring to hold their customers hostage. Support for an open model would require pressure from BIG customers (i.e. DoD, automotive, etc.). Ideally vendors like Alibre (perhaps partnered with other smaller vendors) could work with such customers and a standards body (ANSI, ISO, MIL, etc.) to define an open exchange format. The benefit to customers is obvious and once a standard exists, and DoD mandates its use, it's adoption by the larger vendors would be inevitable.

Is this something Alibre would consider pursuing?

Until a few years into the 2000s this was actually a part of the Alibre strategy. The current file format is based on STEP and I believe it was called "Open STEP" at the time.

No one of the big vendors did jump on the train, because of the reasons you mention, and I hardly believe they ever will. Imagine a format that let a majority of users switch from, let's say Solidworks, to Alibre Design without losing any design data at all. A dream for someone and a nightmare for someone else :)

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I recall a few years ago a couple of CAD companies, SolidWorks included, did release a version that had both ACIS and Parasolid modeling kernels. It could open parts created with either kernel and retain its history. Not sure if that was developed any further but it sounded like it had promise.

Here's one example;

Last edited:

jfleming

Alibre Super User
I get the curved text but explain the scale tool for sketches. :(

I believe he is referring to when you sketch out the basic form of your object and then place a dimension and it throws it out of whack. The sketch should scale with the first dimension placed.

dalbert

Until a few years into the 2000s this was actually a part of the Alibre strategy. The current file format is based on STEP and I believe it was called "Open STEP" at the time.

No one of the big vendors did jump on the train, because of the reasons you mention, and I hardly believe they ever will. Imagine a format that let a majority of users switch from, let's say Solidworks, to Alibre Design without losing any design data at all. A dream for someone and a nightmare for someone else :)
I agree, none of the big vendors would jump on that train unless required to; that's why I suggested that such an approach must be driven by big customers like DoD, automotive, etc. Any initiative towards an open format could be proposed by vendors, and vendors would likely be very active in developing such a standard (to minimize potential difficulties/maximize benefits to them), but customers would have to be the driving force behind standardization as they are in almost every such case.

LSFD

Hi,
hope this topic will be discussed by Presidents Biden and Macron currently visiting USA today ;).

Seriously, I'm just waiting for a working "flexible constraints" feature. Maybe available for V99 ?

Please do not put in the dev plan plenty of new amazing features. Just make already existing working...

Best regards from France !

concept

I recall a few years ago a couple of CAD companies, SolidWorks included, did release a version that had both ACIS and Parasolid modeling kernels. It could open parts created with either kernel and retain its history. Not sure if that was developed any further but it sounded like it had promise.

Here's one example;
IronCAD had both kernels but I'm not sure if it still does.