What's new

Global Parameters

GerryC

Alibre Design Expert V25

Hi,
I have created a new assembly which is basically a box. I am using global parameters to set the height, width, and depth of this box. Once I have the desired size box I save it using Save As. I created another assembly that will have multiple boxes of different sizes. How can I unlink this assembly file from the global file that was used to create these boxes in the first place? I need the dimensions of the various-size boxes to be static and not tied to the global parameters file.
Cheers,
Gerry

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Use the equation editor to define the box size, not global parameters. Global parameters are designed to be shared between multiple parts. The Equation editor is just for each part.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Just to put some context in what I describe in my last post and to show an example ...

These were all created by making a single part with an Equation Editor 'variable' of 'PINS'. 'PINS' was then used to drive the feature pattern and length. It was set to Pins=2 for the first part, then saved. Then 'PINS' was changed and the part was saved using SaveAs, giving it it's new part name (would have been really nice if 'PINS' could have been used as a 'token' in the part naming process!).

1679739579938.png

and the Equation Editor showing 3 parameters which can be changed to drive the part, 2 of which are fixed for this series of parts and PINS being the one that changes between parts ...

1679739712051.png

Global Parameters, on the other hand, are great if you create something with many separate parts that need the same driven dimensions, i.e. a book case. where the shelves and top/bottom panels are driven by width, and where all parts, including the sides, etc are driven by depth. Side panels and number of shelves being driven by height!

Last edited:

GerryC

Thank you so much for your help. The pin example was great and taught me new things about the equation editor. Regarding the comment, you made about global parameters and building a bookcase. What if you wanted to build several bookcases of various sizes and number of shelves and include them into 1 assembly representing a room? I understand you would need a separate global parameter file for each bookcase to address the different characteristics. Is there a way to lock in the current variables and not use the global parameters going forward when saving using SavingAs?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You could use multiple configurations of the GLP file to drive multiple configurations of the bookcase file.

You can also switch the linked GLP file for any file to 'None' to disconnect it.

GerryC

I build my assembly (bookcase) referencing a GLP file in my main assembly file (BC Factory) and save using SaveAs bookcase2
I disconnect the GLP file from my bookcase2 and save.
I insert bookcase2 into another assembly (room) and save.
When I build a different bookcase in my bc factory and update it, it affects the bookcase2 that I inserted into room.
I went back into the bookcase2 file to check if the GLP file was still disconnected and it was.

1679755983197.png

How is this possible?

Last edited:

GerryC

No. I use the Insert Component/part/subAssembly feature.
I just realized the parts that are being inserted are still referencing the GLP file.