What's new

gears in alibre

Art K

Hi all, I'm working on a project and would like to import gears from Gearotic 3.xx into Alibre V25. My output options in Gearotic DXF, STL and CAD. Does anyone know how to go about this and give me some instruction.
Art

dean448

I’ve done this recently from Gearorica to Adam3d. You output using DXF. Input into Alibre is more complicated then I would have expected. Once you get the gear shape into Alibre you need to clean it up in order to extrude it. Cleaning up is the most time consuming part of this.

Art K

Harold,
To answer your question I've included a screen shot of the selections. I had attempted to cut a gear using the 4th axis function but it snapped the tool. In looking into that I found that my 4th axis was turning backwards positive rather than negative. I will look into other suggestions as I have time.
Art

Attachments

• 1706146444590.png
    1706146444590.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 25

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
If you export your gear via the CAD option, what is the file extension of the resulting output?

bolsover

If you need to create spur/helical internal/external gears, there is a gear generator tool in my UtilitiesForAlibre Add-on.
The tool is not perfect (I'm close to having an updated version available soon) but it does a reasonable job of creating realistic and functional gears.
It is mainly aimed at users who want generally acceptable models for their designs but will be having the 'real' gears manufactured by professionals. That said, it does a perfectly good job if you need is for 3d printed (fdm) gears.

Utilities for Alibre

Art K

Sorry for the slow reply. I had to relearn what I used to know about Gearotic. So when I go into the output mode it drops the CAD option. If I click on the STL I have an option for Binary or Ascii. If I go for the DXF option my control type is 2D dxf or 3D dxf. I stand corrected in the tool tab I still have the CAD option BUT it opens VEXX cad, which I have never used. I will have to go on the other forum and ask if that can be changed.
Art

Art K

I managed to figure how to import a DXF file I exported from Gearotic, it opened as a 2D drawing. But now I am unable to do anything with that gear file in Alibre, any suggestions.
Art

Art K

Ok, I did manage to figure this out. Nate your link was helpful but I'm more of a visual learner so I looked for a video. Then I figured it out. thanks for your help everyone.
Art

1706666792478.png

silver2row

Gears Are Neat...

I wanted to show someone what I learned. So, without further ado, here is something from another user on this forum with a bit of change done on my end...

Gear_Stuff.png

Enjoy!

The fellow that put most of it together made a Spreadsheet too in Excel format to handle the gear ratios.

Seth

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Are you modelling gears as eye-candy placeholders or are you looking to print/machine gears from these models?

I model gear teeth using a script as they are only eye candy on the drawings. We have hobbing machines to make them. All I need is the accurate OD for the turners.
The teeth aren't accurate but they look good enough for the drawings.

1706735722147.png

Art K

At this point I'm not cutting gears and am only using them in an assembly. At some time I will try cutting them, I purchased these.
Art

silver2row

Um, if you are describing me, yes. Eye Candy to the maximum for now.

I have no hobbing machine readily available. I can print them with a printer to test only.

Seth