What's new

Learning from history

Cator

Autodesk founder John Walker passed away on February 2.
I became aware of this
link through an article which recalls the history of the company told by the founder himself and I think it could be inspiring for those who don't already know it to learn the stories behind our clicks. I hope I'm not hurting anyone by publishing this, because knowing the history, even that of a competing company, helps us understand where we came from and, probably, where we could go

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hello Cator,
Let's go to the virtual videos seen by a glasses that presents holographic images and our click will be a thought command to an AI to process and perform .....
I am a traditionalist. I like the art of manual design. Good conceptual proportions are achieved by paper and pencil before you get to the click....or AI....
My firsth sperience in autocad was in 1989..and still like autocad 3d Parametric, specially Spline curves. Not yet implemented. :)
RIP Mr. Walker.
GIOV

My cad journey started out with Autocad 2.6 on ms dos 2.3 using a 286 computer from Compaq. Last Autocad version was 9 (I think) on windows 3.1. Self taught lisp programming was lots of fun, writing an ordinate dimension program before they offered the option, then wrote an automatic screw generation program before libraries were readily available. Such a free environment to learn and grow with. Sad to hear of his passing, I wonder what he thought of modern cad, or if he understood what a revolution Autocad was to design.