What's new

Red dimensions in drawings - again.....

OrjanB

Hi all,

I have a very annoying problem when dimensioning drawings.

In the drawing sheet I place an assembly were som parts are sectioned and some not.
I.e a shaft with surrounding parts.
For clarity I turn on shaded view so the parts are shown with differen colors.
I do the dimensioning and it looks OK.

When I later reopen the drawing the dimensions for parts not sectioned turns red.
In layers window the dimensions are shown as DISSOCIATED (red).
I then change red dim. to layer DIMENSIONS (black) and it turnes black and looks OK.
I save and reopen: Dimensions turns back to red.

I also tried to set color for dim. DISSOCIATED (red) to black and save. Still red dim. when reopening.

Any hints for what to do?

Orjan

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Just changing the layer is only a temporary way to get around this if you urgently need a print. If the dimensions are potentially disconnected, the warning will happen again at next file opening.

To properly fix a dissociated dimension, use the re-target dimension tool.

If the problem continues then there may be an issue with the model, or you may have found a bug. Consider sending a package made from the drawing to support.

I did a drawing a few weeks ago, so general assembly and a few other sheets. Decided to just hide the parts from the views I didn't need. Did all the dims. Saved it all fine.
Opened it up again I'd say 90% of the dims were red. I reassociated them, same again saved. Opened the next day, same again red everywhere.
I've done my next drawing different. Not hidden the parts, and drawn separately (still a multi sheet drawing file) and all is fine. I wonder if its something to do with the opening and reloading that it maybe loads the views complete breaking the dimensions then hides the parts and then everything needs fixing.
I don't know I'm not software engineer, but that's just what I'm thinking.

OrjanB

It has to be a bug.
The activating of shaded view seem to generate some kind of conflict with dimensioning.
Anyway, having to struggle with unexpected behavior is destroying my workflow.

My opinion in general:
The modeling environment has in the latest versions reached a high level with impressive features.
Drawings are left behind - when will we see a major overhaul?
For lot of users the last step in using Alibre is a drawing for presentation or production.

Last edited:

Ex Machina

I regularly create mechanical drawings for documentation or production. Have never had a problem and I am actually happy that Alibre has such a wide range of annotating and view tools.

I've never had a problem with it. I'd you can, upload the files here so we can take a look.

OrjanB

Konstantinos: Thank you for showing interest.

Please note:
The issue occurs when the view shows a shaded assembly were some parts are sectioned and some not.
The part not sectioned (shaft) get red dims, while sectioned part (ring) is OK. For best clarity there are no hatching.

The drawing is for presentation, not production.

Seems that the shaded view is part of the problem.

Anyway, another post in this thread indicate that red dim occuring unexpectedly is a problem generating need for annoying walkarounds.

I am not in my office now - will look more into it later and investigate the parts involved.
But the parts are designed using the tools available and should behave without issues when making a drawing.

I can later download an example, but you can see for yourself by making an assembly consisisting of a shaft with a ring centered on the shaft.
Then make a drawing as described above and you will see the issue.

Last edited:

albie0803

Alibre Super User
I often have issues with dimensions on section views and it goes back many versions. They just can't seem to be able to put a finger on everything that causes it. The situation has improved over the years and the redimensioning tool is a great help, but it's not a fix.

OrjanB

Enclosed a very simple example revealing the issue.
Package and PDF enclosed.
As the PDF shows, the issue (red.dim) occurs when a part in an assembly is shaded and not sectioned (right view)
The redimensioning tool can be used to fix it, but this is not a lasting solution.
In general I also find the redimensioning tool to be fiddling. Better snapping possible?
Often it is faster to delete and. redim.

Max:
Could this be fixed in next. version?

Attachments

• Test1_2.pdf
    745.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Red_line_issue.AD_PKG
    89.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Weirdly when I open my file up now it's got less issues! I tried making a fresh file and it didn't do it, but I can email send it to a staff member but can't post it on here. So long as we can ensure it's deleted at their end once they have looked at it?

Ex Machina

Check this out OrjanB.

It seems that you had created a precise section view in the part file and had brought that in the drawing. Precise Section Views are a different thing. You need a drawing section view and you will be fine. Also, do not go into sketch mode to annotate a drawing.

Check out this amazing video from Joseph_L on advanced view creation in the drawing environment:

Attachments

• Test1_2.AD_PKG
    91 KB · Views: 2

OrjanB

It seems that you had created a precise section view in the part file and had brought that in the drawing. Precise Section Views are a different thing. You need a drawing section view and you will be fine. Also, do not go into sketch mode to annotate a drawing.
Perhaps some misunderstanding here (?)
I have made a section view in a drawing, not in the part.
The assembly, consisting of non-sectioned parts, is imported to the drawing sheet and then the section view is made.
In the drawing the sectioning is generated independent of the state (sectioned/not sectioned) of the part/assembly inserted.
As said, the issue (red.dim) occurs when a part in an assembly is placed in the drawing sheet, shaded and not sectioned.
Anyhow, sectioning of part/assembly do not influence on the view generated in the drawing.
The only valid walkaround seems to be the redimensioning tool.

Thank you for looking into the case. I see on your activty on the forum that you really have dug into Alibre.
Yesterday I watched your video for 3D-sketching - very impressive - I learned a lot.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Orjan,

Try unchecking the 'Do Not Section' property for test1 in the view. After doing that the dimension seems to behave OK.

That may allow you to work around this issue.

OrjanB

Try unchecking the 'Do Not Section' property for test1 in the view. After doing that the dimension seems to behave OK.
My example was perhaps too simple.
I want a shaft to be shown with no section while other parts are sectioned.
Updated PDF enclosed.

Attachments

• Test1_2_ver 2.pdf
    793.6 KB · Views: 8

OrjanB

I just came across another rarity connected to the discussion:
A walkaround for me getting rid of the red dim. is to use the redimensioning tool.
Then another issue appears:
The diametersign (Ø) disappears and has to be added manually.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The presence or otherwise of the Ø depends on HOW you apply the dimension. Try applying it across the projected horizontal lines of top and bottom of the shaft, instead of the projected vertical edge.

I.E click one of the lines, then the other with the dimension tool active, then place the dimension.

OrjanB

I.E click one of the lines, then the other with the dimension tool active, then place the dimension.
This is the way I do it. The dia. (Ø) shows automatically when dimensioning, but disappears when using retargeting tool.
When retargeting no lines are available, only points.

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Not a general solution, but in your shaded drawing I can see almost no visible difference between if 'do not section' is on or off. My pragmatic advice for this case would be to turn off 'do not section' . What you see may depend on the lighting arrangements in the 3D workspace ( I have only 2 lights enabled).

You have found a couple of very specific points which should be reported now that it is clearer exactly what circumstance triggers the issues.