What's new

Drawing - how to dimension from middle of line to middle of arc (SOLVED)

wphred

In a drawing I'm trying to dimension from the middle of a line to the middle of an arc. The attached file shows a rocker for a doll cradle. For the people making these toy rockers, a radius of 15 29/32" doesn't help them. I created the arc by establishing a point the was 2 1/8" perpendicular to the mid point of the line as the radius.

So what I would like to do is to create a dimension on the drawing showing the distance from the middle of the line to the middle of the arc (2 1/8"). Haven't found a way to do that yet. Any ideas?

I can get around this with a note on the drawing spelling this out, but it would be clearer if folks saw the dimension I want on the drawing

Attachments

• rocker.jpg
    rocker.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 17

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Right click the View in the design explorer and "activate sketch in view"

1710382804499.png

Insert a point on the arc:

1710382865203.png

Add a "coincident" constraint to the point, constraining it to the arc, then add a midline constraint, constraining the point between the end points of the curved arc.

Then, you can dimension the distance between the horizontal line and the point.

It will end up looking something like this:

1710383119667.png

There may be other ways to do this, and if so i'm sure someone will drop in and help out. This is what I came up with off the top of my head.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Select the Dimension tool, select the top line then select the arc. From the pop up dialog select Line to Inside from the drop down list and place the dimension. When you're done dimensioning select Deactivate Sketch from the left-most ribbon icon.

wphred

Select the Dimension tool, select the top line then select the arc. From the pop up dialog select Line to Inside from the drop down list and place the dimension. When you're done dimensioning select Deactivate Sketch from the left-most ribbon icon.

Harold,

Thank you, once again.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
In reference to arc dimensions,
if you are measuring a distance less than the radius of the arc, choose the inside option
if you are measuring a distance greater than the radius of the arc, choose the outside option

wphred

Is there something I should click on to show that this is solved? It will keep others from replying, although I have to say you Super Users are very kind to me. I don't ask for help without spending a considerable amount of time searching the forum, so your responses are very welcome.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Edit the post title to add "solved".
When you start a new post you are given the option to post it as a question. When it is then you can select the a solution as correct.