What's new

Random Builds and Wall Plates

silver2row

Hello,

I have a wall plate preference in this build and I am trying to "Shell" the item on the underneath insides but my holes are coming out as part of the extrusion being extruded.

I have contemplated how to go about it and seem to be missing some data on how to go about this build.

Seth

P.S. If you know what I am discussing, please let me know what I should do... Oh! The photo and file...

Attachments

• Wall_Plate_Photo.png
    Wall_Plate_Photo.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Wall_Plate.AD_PRT
    337 KB · Views: 3

silver2row

Oh that specific photo and build, I have already chamfered the holes and chamfered the edges of the plate.

Also, with it like how it is currently in this build, I am not allowed to "Shell" the underneath section because of extrusions.

Seth

P.S. If you are looking for an easy out on building wall plates, look here: https://www.thingiverse.com/apps/customizer/run?thing_id=47956 . That application on Thingiverse will help build them quite simply. They do not have what I need on the build and I thought, why not build one with Alibre Atom3D? So, I have started. I will attempt more tests in time in case others are too busy to assist in this idea. See what happened when I used "Shell"?

Attachments

• Wall_Plate_Photo_Two.png
    Wall_Plate_Photo_Two.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Your part file doesn't include a Shell feature. I'm not clear what you mean by "...but my holes are coming out as part of the extrusion being extruded"

Shell applies to the entire model, you can though select faces to remove.

Also - what do you mean by a 'Wall Plate' ? presumably not the wood on top of a wall that roof timbers are attached to.

silver2row

Hello,

yeppers...a wall plate for sockets. Socket plate? Here is the shell used in the current file...

Attachments

• Wall_Plate.AD_PRT
    433 KB · Views: 3

Stu3d

It seems to Shell perfectly or am I missing the point?
David, I think it is similar to a light switch cover plate like MK grid range.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-12 111106.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-12 111106.png
    160.3 KB · Views: 5

silver2row

Yeppers...for sockets or light switches but my change would be a portion of the center larger for bare wire to come out...of couse with PVC sheathing.

Seth

P.S. So, is it possible to make the holes afterwards and then not extrude them as much? I can try it!

Stu3d

This is a UK equivalent although we usually use a flex outlet with a hole in the bottom so the cable hangs neatly down the wall.
Screenshot 2024-04-12 111912.png

silver2row

Right, I have not built that one just yet. We have some larger holed socket-wall plates for larger diameter wiring with a "hood" or "shroud" that allowed the wires to neatly converge downwards.

Seth

P.S. Here are the equivalents of separate photos that resulted in the two different printed items:

20240412_051918.jpg

and...

20240412_051932.jpg

If I were to print the "Shell" portion, I would still have the holes extruded and not flat to the ceiling of the socket plate.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect this is probably a feature order issue - maybe shell before adding the screw holes.

Or possibly use an additional extrude cut to trim back the material around the screw holes. All depends exactly what your design intent is.

silver2row

@DavidJ ,

Okay...I will attempt that like I already have done but this time again. I did try to shell before extrude and the subtractive extrude method did not work for some reason. I will keep trying.

Seth

silver2row

I suspect this is probably a feature order issue - maybe shell before adding the screw holes.

Or possibly use an additional extrude cut to trim back the material around the screw holes. All depends exactly what your design intent is.
Hey @DavidJ ,

I got it. I needed to Dual Extrude it with the subtractive method...

Seth

P.S. It was beating me senseless... I got it!