What's new

Trying to edit an imported step file

John-Amos

Hi everyone, I am pretty new to using alibre. I imported this step file from grabcad and I am trying to make it shorter/longer but I cannot figure out how to do it. After googling and looking at videos where push/pull is mentioned I still cannot seem to shorten/lengthen anything since those videos are so old. Can someone show me how to shorten and lengthen this coupling please.

I am already having tons of headaches with assembly.

Thanks

Attachments

• Coupling Nut.STEP
    117.6 KB · Views: 10

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
There's something odd about those 'fillets' at ends of the nut. 'Remove Face' on those fillets would usually leave a 'squared off' end (which could then be pushed/pulled) - but with that file it leaves holes in the model.

It might well be faster to just take some measurements from the file and then re-model at your desired length.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Hello @John-Amos here's an approach to this type of problem:
1713173212514.png
1713173275498.png
Everything can be parameterized. This approach is very useful for more complex models, but the concept is flexible.

Attachments

• Coupling Nut-steph.AD_PRT
    556 KB · Views: 4

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Mcmaster might have your size unless this is custom:
They have CAD files:
1713173757529.png

Stu3d

I saved the step as an Alibre part then tried an extrude cut to remove one end, use Move Face to alter the length, Save As the part at different lengths and then do a Boolean Unite. The result had faces missing so there maybe something odd about the step?
Not sure if you have Boolean, ideally the version of Alibre you are using would be in your signature.
Screenshot 2024-04-15 103442.png

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I saved the step as an Alibre part then tried an extrude cut to remove one end, use Move Face to alter the length, Save As the part at different lengths and then do a Boolean Unite. The result had faces missing so there maybe something odd about the step?
Not sure if you have Boolean, ideally the version of Alibre you are using would be in your signature.
View attachment 41498
Can you share the files?

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
@Stu3d Design Booleans might be overkill for this, but it depends. Did you try my file? You can shorten or lengthen with that setup.

Stu3d

@Stu3d Design Booleans might be overkill for this, but it depends. Did you try my file? You can shorten or lengthen with that setup.
I realise Booleans totally overkill for this simple part but doing things like this help me learn.
I just altered the length of the Coupling Nut part and the result seems to be fine, strange.
Edit: I didn't try your method but will have a play, all knowledge is good :)

Attachments

• Coupling Nut1a.AD_PKG
    138.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

MilesH

Alibre Super User
There's something odd about those 'fillets' at ends of the nut. 'Remove Face' on those fillets would usually leave a 'squared off' end (which could then be pushed/pulled) - but with that file it leaves holes in the model.

It might well be faster to just take some measurements from the file and then re-model at your desired length.
This worked for me, David. It doesn't regenerate with a squared off end until you move the face, though.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I realise Booleans totally overkill for this simple part but doing things like this help me learn.
I just altered the length of the Coupling Nut part and the result seems to be fine, strange.
Yes the files worked here too. You can use Design Booleans with my approach, they will both do the job.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
This worked for me, David. It doesn't regenerate with a squared off end until you move the face, though.

Thanks Miles - I tried again, had to drag a bit to extend before I could drag to shrink length.

[EDIT - even an F5 regenerate did the trick]

Last edited:

John-Amos

Thanks for the help guys, I think I am going to stick with the easiest approach for now until I gain more experience and that will possibly be McMaster.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
For reference I added configs for the shorten and lengthen setups:
1713178632467.png
1713178644019.png
1713178652417.png

Attachments

• Coupling Nut-steph-with-configs.AD_PRT
    835.5 KB · Views: 1

Stu3d

Did you try my file? You can shorten or lengthen with that setup.
When I altered dimensions D6 or D9 in your part it altered the distance between the two ends but I get the idea.
I projected a sketch figure on one of the flat faces and did Extrude Boss to Geometry. Now adjusting dimension D6 in equation editor alters the length of the nut. It works backwards as in a bigger D6 makes length shorter.

Attachments

• Coupling Nut-steph1.AD_PRT
    578.5 KB · Views: 3

John-Amos

I just got stuck again. Unfortunately I cannot remodel every file then assemble, I am just trying to make a simple assembly to see how something fits and the measurements. I downloaded this file from McMaster and I cannot see any functions to stretch the file. I don't see any push/pull or I am just not looking in the right place.

What are the exact steps to push and pull the file? I am going to need that a lot because I have to do the same with ballscrews etc.

Thanks
V27

Attachments

• 93590A106_18-8 Stainless Steel Coupling Nut.STEP
    665.6 KB · Views: 3

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
When I altered dimensions D6 or D9 in your part it altered the distance between the two ends but I get the idea.
I projected a sketch figure on one of the flat faces and did Extrude Boss to Geometry. Now adjusting dimension D6 in equation editor alters the length of the nut. It works backwards as in a bigger D6 makes length shorter.
Thanks! I didn't check all the cases. The concept is what I intended.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I just got stuck again. Unfortunately I cannot remodel every file then assemble, I am just trying to make a simple assembly to see how something fits and the measurements. I downloaded this file from McMaster and I cannot see any functions to stretch the file. I don't see any push/pull or I am just not looking in the right place.

What are the exact steps to push and pull the file? I am going to need that a lot because I have to do the same with ballscrews etc.

Thanks
V27
Using a generic representation won't work to understand the fit instead of using a highly detailed version of the models?

John-Amos

The couplings have to be m6x30mm and m6x40mm, I cannot find the exact size so I have to work with what I find. That means resizing to the correct length, and this will also apply to ballscrews since I have to have a certain length also. This way when I assemble I can see how everything fits and where I am lacking.