What's new

Search results

1. OTE_TheMissile

Sheet metal practice

Yeah my focus has never been getting models/prints out as fast as humanly possible, I lean more towards modeling in ways that are easy to understand if I need to come back later to make changes or revisions. "Always do a good job for the next guy, because the 'next guy' is you." -AvE Which is...
  2. OTE_TheMissile

Sheet metal practice

If I had to model this, I'd designate the top "arm" as the master and drive all the other 3 arms' features through the Equation Editor. Then adjust the length of the inside flanges to get the 60mm height (through some napkin-scribble trig) before tuning the length of the outside flanges to get...
  3. OTE_TheMissile

Center an Imported Step File on the Origin

There's a couple of ways to abuse Part Booleans and Assembly models into moving the origin for an imported model. The general idea is to use Assembly constraints to reposition the part the way you want it, then Export it again into a format that returns it to a dumb solid but while keeping the...
  4. OTE_TheMissile

using ai to calculate the geometry of gears

There's a big argument in the anime fanart community right now over people passing off AI-generated art as their own (which, OK, you need to know what words to feed the AI to get a result, but c'mon, that doesn't compare to actually sketching, lining, and coloring by hand). It probably would've...
  5. OTE_TheMissile

Adjust zoom granularity?

Not that I'm aware (obligatory mention of "I'm using an older version of Alibre") but if you check under the "Viewing and Analysis" tab there should be a standalone Zoom control that will allow you to click and drag anywhere in the workspace to zoom in and out with possibly a higher degree of...
  6. OTE_TheMissile

Draw rectangle and move center to origin.

Holding left Ctrl while clicking + dragging on a coincident-constrained node will break the constraint and allow you to move the node by hand freely
  7. OTE_TheMissile

DXF Copy & Paste

David, I think I'm getting the same thing he is. You enter the info and click OK, and nothing on the titleblock changes. But if you save the print, close it, and reopen, it's all there. Seemed to start happening after I made a tweak to my template to allow me to edit the standard tolerances...
  8. OTE_TheMissile

Using decals for visual enhancement

(and yes, we still regularly get phone calls from customers angry that their flagstand broke off when they tried to drag a 6' American flag down the interstate at 70mph :rolleyes:)
  9. OTE_TheMissile

Measure tool - too complicated?

I've done the "add a temporary reference plane" trick too, but sometimes for whatever reason that's not a viable option either and I end up scribbling up a Drawing. Personally I'm fine with the measurement tool for quickly grabbing a number I either forgot and can't be arsed to reopen the...
  10. OTE_TheMissile

Measure tool - too complicated?

I don't have a good file handy but I've done what jfleming's said to get a measurement to the outside of a curve, for finding things like overall length. As it is (in my older version of Alibre), selecting the side of a curved surface steers the measurement tool to measure to the center of the...
  11. OTE_TheMissile

Midpoints

Are you trying to select the midpoint of an edge of the surface you're sketching on? Because if that's the case, the edge has to be "active" first. If you select it as a reference for something else, it should automatically be traced over by a reference line, and anything you bring near the...
  12. OTE_TheMissile

Bad area measurement

[laughs in SAE]
  13. OTE_TheMissile

Drawing with visible dimensions.

To be perfectly honest, looking forward I think you'll want to get used to the idea of editing the dimensions in your models and pushing the changes to your drawings rather than the other way around.
  14. OTE_TheMissile

I'd never heard of Alibre until I started working at this job & pretty much spent my first two weeks rubbing the keyboard against my face until it did what I wanted it to, then I found these forums. That was back in, 2008? 2009? Stick around, these folks'll get you sorted :cool:
  15. OTE_TheMissile

I keep a model of a tiny sphere in my CAD library for those rare occasions when I'll need to have a print reference something that I haven't actually modeled. It does nothing but provide a place to generate a point I can dimension to in my eventual Drawing (center of a circle), but because I...
  16. OTE_TheMissile

Sectioned Isometric Assembly View

Sounds perfectly do-able in Alibre, once you collect and assemble all your parts & fittings, you can add a Section view to the Assembly model and either bring that into a Drawing for markup/labeling, or use it to generate an illustrative image file. As long as your PC can handle it (depending on...
  17. OTE_TheMissile

flanges, lips and other bent features in sheetmetal

Yeah, Alibre mostly only deals with straight bends. What you've got here is more of a forming operation.
  18. OTE_TheMissile

Viewport align in drawing sheet

It would be kinda nice if you could select a couple of parallel edges in unrelated views & have Alibre hold them in alignment to each other. We make a lot of little brackets and mounts out of strip stock/flat wire and I tend to show the part flat in a top view and formed in a front view. As...
  19. OTE_TheMissile

Ordinate Dims of Circle???

Should just be able to click anywhere on the circle and Alibre will assume you want to dimension to the centerpoint, no?
  20. OTE_TheMissile

fun and games

I think in another thread Harold mentioned he was using a 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse. I have one too; it's basically a supplementary device for your offhand that moves in all 6 degrees of freedom. You do all of your selecting with your regular mouse and the SpaceMouse takes control of all of your...