What's new

Search results

1. L

Atom3D and threads for 3D printing

IME and I may just be bad at it and using cheap printers but in 3D printing internal features [holes] tend to shrink at varing rates - think casting, not machining. If I design a "perfect" threaded hole per the Machinery's Handbook I usually test print then adjust tolerances until it fits properly.
  2. L

Atom - Value in Upgrading From v23

I'm not interested in spending $600 on a bigger version. Might keep my current Atom, might upgrade to the latest Atom.
  3. L

Atom - Value in Upgrading From v23

I went from Alibre 10 to Atom v23 a few years back [right before 24 was released...] With the sales going on - assuming Atom is also v27 what value, features, etc. would I stand to gain by upgrading? There doesn't seem to be a good changelog of versions I've found.
  4. L

Arcs Acting Odd

I had this arc I projected the edge of and did two offsets. I'm trying to connect the two offset sketches, but anytime I do, it blows up.
  5. L

Moving a Sketch?

Disclaimer: Atom User How can one move a sketch? I'm used to vector graphics programs, you can group a bunch of lines, grab them, move them around. In Alibre's sketch mode sometimes I have a sketch not quite where I want it. Is there an easy way to relocate it? Attempting to dimension it to...
  6. L

Fussy Fillet Tool

Thanks. Interestingly it also allows different size fillets based on when in the design you implement it. Typically I'm redrawing cast parts for low volume machining or printing of reproductions so I like to sketch in the basic shape with sharp edges, do a quick check against the prototype...
  7. L

Fussy Fillet Tool

Example file. It's very sensitive to order of operations and sometimes won't fillet at all. Maybe it's me, this isn't the only time, just the only time I can't find a way to make it work, period.
  8. L

Fussy Fillet Tool

Unfortunately I've tried that as well, all it does is make the red OK button normal, and once implemented it still shows up as a bad fillet/does not generate.
  9. L

Fussy Fillet Tool

Here's an example where it's just a joke. Did fillets in the left quadrant, the vertical and two horizontal ones. Move over to the right quadrant of the part to do the same fillets. BUZZZZZZ
  10. L

Fussy Fillet Tool

Why is the fillet tool so picky. Sometimes on the most basic shapes it's OK, but move to something with a simple spline curve, symmetry, and maybe it'll fillet/round, maybe it won't. Save, close, open, "bad" fillet now shows up. Fillet the same edges of a symmetrical object, both might work...
  11. L

Creating an extrusion cut on a complex surface?

IDK if it's an Atom vs. other edition, but it gave me a "too new of a version" error. Everyone, thanks for the tips and discussion, since my main object was a cone lofted from two circles I was able to use the loft extrusion path to create a new axis, put planes at the height I wanted the ends...
  12. L

I have not had a chance to get back to this model. I hope to try some of these ideas this weekend maybe.
  13. L

Hello, former V10 standard user running Atom V23. I guess these are the new forums. I'm trying to make a cut, similar to a ball end mill, on a surface. Now if this was a planar surface I'd understand, just sketch a perpendicular profile of the tool, and a on the surface or a ref. plane and...
  14. L

Former Alibre 10 User Looking for Suggestions

I haven't ran Alibre 10 in a few years. My standby XP machine has been decommissioned for some time and Alibre 10 was never installed on my W8/W10 machine but I do still have a copy of the licence number from when it was installed on my XP machine. Would I be able to install this on my W10...
  15. L

Version 10 & Windows 8

OK, but does anyone know if A10 will run under Win8?
  16. L

Version 10 & Windows 8

I have Version 10 standard. Am I correct in believing it will NOT work with Windows 8 home 64-bit? I did not renew my maintenance after buying v10. It looks like the closest equivalent version is now called "Pro" for $100 :shock: as the personal version does not allow basic features like...
  17. L

Intersecting Wire DXF Curve Issue

Ok, so I drew a simple vase in CorelDRAW X3, (exported it to a DXF, imported it into Alibre 10, edited the sketch, select, copy, create a new part, make a sketch, paste it in there) It looks good in Alibre 10, but when I try to do any 3D work on it, it gives the intersecting wire issue...
  18. L

Intersecting Wire DXF curve

For post in the help section
  19. L

A10 Adding Dimensions to a Drawing

OK, that'll work. That's the dimensioning I was looking for but hadn't thought to make the inside thread boss as it was mainly to make a quick formal sketch just showing to cut and thread.
  20. L

A10 Adding Dimensions to a Drawing

I'm still on Alibre 10, and having some issues dimensioning a drawing. Basically I'm drawing a simple round rod with two extrernally threaded ends. I set up three planes off the master plane, drew circle sketches and extruded to next plane to generate the first threaded end, rod body, and...