What's new

Search results

1. T

Switching from inches to mm

David and Ken: Thank you both. I set the dimensions to MM as Ken stated and then I saw when exporting that 'new' STL that the default value was in IN and changed it to MM as David stated. Learned two new things on this. I really appreicate it.
  2. T

Switching from inches to mm

I’m not sure if this is related but I just finished a file in INCHES and exported the STL to a shop for some test prints. They’re asking if I can send the file in MM. I won’t redraw it; is there a way to convert the IN file to MM?
  3. T

Move - Setting relative basepoint

David, Francesco, and Jocelyn, thanks for the feedback. I wound up redrawing the part after properly centering the trace image at the origin.
  4. T

David: I took a look at that. My design is almost 100% complete and I need to move the entirety of it over to the origin in order to mirror. I can only seem to access the Sketch Move if I'm in an active sketch and it won't seem to let me 'select all'.
  5. T

To piggyback on this post, I just finished a design and when I mirror it there's a significant gap. I imported a tracing image when I began this and didn't notice that I began drawing left of the origin. Looking to find a way to move the whole sketch to the origin.
  6. T

Amount of Ram?

David: I followed the video and the authors PC was nearly identical to mine. I did select the NVDIA GPU for Alibre as it was not selected. The only difference is that mine says GPU 1- Copy instead of GPU 1- 3D. Not sure if that's an issue. My NVDIA is sitting int he GPU 1 slot. Many, many...
  7. T

Amount of Ram?

Added. Thanks!
  8. T

Amount of Ram?

Good questions. I updated my signature with what I think is all the relevant information. Let me know if something is missing. jacob
  9. T

Amount of Ram?

My memory is running at 34% with nothing but Task Manager open. There's a metric ton (110) Background Processes running. Are all of those necessary? I also feel like I'm in a drunk simulator when I'm trying to rotate my designs with my mouse. It's crude, jumps all over the place, and it's...
  10. T

Amount of Ram?

So far it's blazing fast with no lag. I'm currently modeling a heavyweight passenger car with hundreds, if not thousands, or rivets on it. My old PC was lagging so bad that I quite working on the file. This one certainly appears to be up to the task and once I'm in Alibre I'm enjoying myself again.
  11. T

Amount of Ram?

You have to go into the settings and browse through the computer and 'find' Alibre and then add it to the graphics side so that you can edit the graphics. I can't put into words how much I hate PC's but it is what it is. The lack of Mac support is the singular complaint that I have for Alibre...
  12. T

Amount of Ram?

I was finally able to set the GPU settings for Alibre.
  13. T

Amount of Ram?

Following the advice of a few articles that I read I purchased a Dell XPS 15 with the i9-13900H processor, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, and the NVDIA TRX 4060 graphics card. My only issue is that the Alibre 'Possible Performance Issue Detected' article to ensure that the high performance GPU is used...
  14. T

Amount of Ram?

What's the current high end laptop available? I'm working on railroad cars sides with hundreds of rivets and I'm lagging considerably. I will have to upgrade to keep working. Best Buy shows an i9 Studio, whatever that is.
  15. T

Adding a texture in Atom3d

Thank you both and I apologize for the delay in responding. This project has grown and I got side tracked handling other issues. I'll take a look at both methods. Thanks!! Jacob
  16. T

Adding a texture in Atom3d

I'm going to piggyback on this thread as I need to do something somewhat similar with texture/engraving. I'm assisting a friend with a project and need to find a way to model this engraved 'rope'. It will be printed in HO scale (1:87.1) so it doesn't have to be exact but merely representative...
  17. T

Rivet Heads: Storing, Entry, Patterns

Thank you! Yes, I was trying to filet the top arc instead of the top face. I was trying to use the same approach as I did with square edges. Thank you again. This will move things along nicely.
  18. T

I'm modeling in HO (1:87.1 or Scale Factor of 0.0115). I have no doubt that your method would be more efficient and beneficial. My current hangup is on the 'how' to implement this. I know the program can do it but I'm still trying to unlearn Sketchup and this concept right now is alluding me in...
  19. T

I keep getting the 'BL_CANNOT_REORDER: blends too complex to reorder' when I try to apply a filer to a cylinder. 0.015" diameter, .005" extrude boss, attempting .005" filet
  20. T

I'm just trying for a round head rivet. https://www.hansonrivet.com/rivets/solid-rivets/commercial-solid-rivets/ I had originally tried a cylinder and a filet and got an error. Maybe I had the radius too large. I'll look at that again. Revolving around an inserted axis is a new trick and...