What's new

Search results

1. Stu3d

Is there a mechanical constraint in Assembly to make stilsons move as they should?

I have been modelling the stilsons on page 172 (page190 of the pdf) in the T. Carreras Soto drawing collection. It is still a work in progress but I have put the parts in an assembly to see how it fits together and tweak a few dimensions. Is there a way to make the jaws (part 2) move by turning...
  2. Stu3d

Is there a way to quickly force a line to be orthogonal while sketching?

I appreciate there are 2 ways to make a line horizontal or vertical. 1. Move the cursor close enough to horizontal or vertical for an automatic constraint to apply, this can be a bit fiddly. I tried increasing the Snap Threshold to it's maximum of 5mm but that didn't help. 2. Apply a horizontal...
  3. Stu3d

Can't change text in Configurations

I created 3 configurations of a computer keyboard key. Everything is locked so changes don't propagate. Height and angle changes are fine. I label each key 1, F1 or Q so when I 3d print them I know where they go. I do this by editing the same sketch with the text in each configuration When I...
  4. Stu3d

Custom shortcut keyboard using relegendable keys

I have been using a 2d cad software for 30+ years, it uses 2 letter keyboard shortcuts for everything which makes it incredibly fast to use. Inspired by ExMachina and Bolsover I decided to create a shortcut keyboard that would kind of emulate that. Thanks to Max for providing the icons...
  5. Stu3d

Rectangle by Center & Rectangle dimensions in Expert

I watched Ex Machinas latest video on speed modelling. In a sketch when constructing a Rectangle By Center the dimensions are of the overall size. When I use this tool the dimensions are from the centre point to ann edge which means I have always had to divide both my dimesions by 2 before using...
  6. Stu3d

Struggling to constrain pipe fittings in an assembly

I have an elbow and tee which just have a coaxial constraint to an axis and an offset to the part next to them, both shown in red. I want them to constrain to the Z axis direction like the part in green. When I try and constrain them to prevent them rotating around the axis I keep getting an...
  7. Stu3d

Constraint inferencing - how do I turn it off?

I am tracing an image in sketch mode, there are lots of curves near each other and I am using the spline curve tool. Spline curve I am drawing constrains to another nearby spline which results in the node not being placed exactly where I clicked the cursor and causing problems when I want to...
  8. Stu3d

Project to sketch - maintain association

I have to click 'maintain association' everytime I project to sketch, can't think of an occasion I have chosen to not select it. Am I missing something? If not a preferences setting, toggle or making it a persistent choice would be handy.
  9. Stu3d

Print to 2d PDF - can't scale to fill paper

I want to produce a normal 2d PDF of an assembly. Microsoft print to PDF results in the assembly too small bottom left of page. I have installed PDFill which gives me more options. I set scale to 0.70 which brings the assembly up to the correct size to fill the paper but some of it is missing...
  10. Stu3d

Broken stl from very simple part

Hi, first forum post but used search to solve previous problems. 2d cad user for 30+ years. Have used Alibre for 5 years (started with Geomagic), currently V22. Generally produce parts for 3d printing. I wanted to create a very simple adaptor from old slightly larger square rainwater downpipe...