What's new

Search results

1. S

Drawing gear teeth

I'd like to see a tutorial about modeling the teeth on spur and bevel gears. I personally don't need them to be completely accurate, but they need to look right, for rendering. I've seen tutorials using other CAD packages, but they go light on how to actually draw the teeth, and delve into the...
  2. S

How to model a cylinder branching from another cylinder?

I'm trying to model a cylinder that has another cylinder branching off of it at an angle, like the included link. Both cylinders would be the same diameter. Any ideas? I'm lost. duct
  3. S

Can I move the view in 3D space in a precision way?

I know I can drag the view around with the view cube in the upper right of the Model tab. Is there a way to increment the view by small amounts in one axis only? I have old illustrations I can print out on transparencies and put on my monitor. I'd like to be able to match the view in 3D space to...
  4. S

KeyShot 10 is out

I have Alibre Expert. If I just download the new Keyshot and install it, will Alibre see it, or should I wait until you guys have an update?
  5. S

Applying degrees and minutes to angle dimension

OK, so how do I get this dimensioned? 5 deg and 55 minutes. I'm modeling a part for fun and ran across this. I suppose I could figure out how to convert this to a decimal, but I am wondering if the program can deal with this.
  6. S

How to cut a slot at an angle to the surface

I have a part that needs a slot cut in it at a 12 degree angle. How do I do that? I have a perpendicular slot in the part that is attached, but I need the angle. The image shows the direction.
  7. S

Lofting with a guide curve difficulty

I have a part right now consisting of two sketches on two planes. I want to loft along a 2D guide curve between them, but I cant get Alibre to snap the curve to the sketches on the other planes. I've attached the drawing and an image of what I want to do. The videos I watched never went into how...
  8. S

Modeling question of forging

How might I model a part with a draft in two directions?
  9. S

Small GUI Quibble

When I have a window open to a part, and wish to begin a new part , the bar available to navigate with is very narrow. I'd like to see it wider in the vertical direction. I have to slow down my mouse to make sure I don't overshoot it. It also doesn't fit well with the rest of the buttons. :-)
  10. S

How to make hole in sheet metal NOT normal to surface

Hello, I have this drawing where the hole that penetrates the 60 deg portion is not normal to the surface. How do I do that so I don't get this- the walls of the hole are perpendicular to the surface, and they shouldn't be. Is that not model-able ? Is that something best left to the 2D...
  11. S

Aircraft sheet metal question

I take it that Alibre isn't able to flange along a curve, such as required here, seen at section A-A? I haven't had any success as yet. I can see a way to use a shell operation, but I don't have an unfold then.
  12. S

Can Alibre show dimensions on a part?

In SolidWorks, when I select a feature on a part, it shows dimensions right away, as here; Can Alibre do that, or do I have to open the sketch for editing, to see dimensions? I hope I just need to turn on a setting somewhere...
  13. S

Surface disappears with tangent constraint

Here's one - if I make the circle of the smaller cylinder tangent to the larger cylinder surface, the surface it is drawn on disappears. The red circle is where I made the tangent constraint.
  14. S

Can I change hatch line weight?

I change the line weight here to 0. I click Apply, save the file and go to the drawing. When I come back to this window in the part, the line weight is again 1. So my hatch is always looking like I used crayons. :-(
  15. S

Random error window

I get this window popping up on occasion. I just close out Alibre and restart and it's fine. Sometimes it shows if I'm not doing anything, and just left the main dialog window open. and this is new; at DXUTILSLib.DXContextClass.getCameraTransform(Int64 hViewport) at...
  16. S

Is there a Shaft Break in Alibre?

I'm wondering if there is a way to add breaks other than the three that I can find. I need a shaft break on occasion, such as the round one on the top left.