What's new

Search results

1. danwilley

More Red Ink

Today I opened a drawing file that I last touched about 9 months ago. All I wanted to do was create a PDF of the two-sheet drawing and print it. When I opened the drawing, the second sheet's dimensions were all red/broken. The dimensions are correct, they are just red. When I completed this part...
  2. danwilley

Corrupted Degrees Symbol - Problem Solved

I have a drawing that contains several marked angles (draft angles on a casting pattern). When I create a PDF of the drawing, the "degrees" symbol is changed to an "infinity" symbol. See the attached screen clips showing the correct symbol within Alibre and the corrupted symbol from the PDF...
  3. danwilley

Renaming Global Parameters ?

Is there a way to rename a global parameter, and all parts that use that parameter will also update automatically with the new name? Thanks, Dan
  4. danwilley

Memory Leak - Windows Task Manager Screenshots

Others have also noted this memory problem. As I work on complex assemblies for hours at a time, Alibre's runtime memory footprint grows and grows until the available memory is consumed and Windows starts swapping out (things) to its swap file... and system performance just slows to a crawl...
  5. danwilley

Multiple instances of Alibre - Startup race condition.

I just had another instance of having two Alibre's running at the same time. A week or so ago both Alibre's had the same part file open. I worked on the part, saved the part, and closed Alibre. The second Alibre was still open with the same part file. I closed Alibre #2 and the part did not ask...
  6. danwilley

Mass computation error

I thought this mass computation error was fixed? Or is it something I need to do? This fabrication is made from steel tubes and plates. The bottom round part is a cast iron part. All of the parts have been identified as steel or cast iron. The whole assembly probably weighs about 125 pounds...
  7. danwilley

Precise Section View - Stopped working.

Hello, I created a Precise Section View on a part and it worked great (the section was rendered) for a while. As I was finishing the part, adding a few final edge chamfers, the Precise Section view function stopped working. As you can see in the attached screenshot, the precise section view is...
  8. danwilley

"Detail" trim-error bug

Hello, I thought I read that this "Detail" trim-error bug was fixed (or suppose to be) in the last release. Apparently not. Does anyone know of a workaround other than not to use it? Thanks, Dan
  9. danwilley

How to move a 3D sketch back to origin after it flew into "space"?

Hello, I am running the latest version of Alibre Expert. I am trying to create a simple 3D sketch that is a solid bent rod (four bends). The rod has several bends that are not 90 degrees. Each bend has a fillet. So the rod has some compound bends from a three-dimensional point of view (all...
  10. danwilley

Sheet Metal Part - How to remove bend lines on drawing?

Hello, I have a part (bracket) that I modeled using the sheet metal function. The bracket will be made from 1/4" thick steel. I un-bent the part and created a flat drawing with no dimensions and 100% sized. I exported it to a DXF file that will be sent to a laser cutting company. (That flat...
  11. danwilley

Left Hand Thread

I have a part model with a left-handed thread (1/2-13 LH). The “hole” function only lists right-handed threads. How can I designate/select a left-handed thread on the model? If I have a choice, I don’t want to just put a note on the part drawing that “the right-hand thread is really a left-hand...
  12. danwilley

General Question about Assembly Motion and Computer Power

I have a complex assembly that I cannot get to move and operate. I can remove (suspress) various sub-assemblies and eventually the remaining parts do move (jerky in motion). My question... assuming the overall assembly is properly formed, flexable and constrained (not over constrained), what is...
  13. danwilley

Part "Callout" multiple leader not working in V22

I have V22 installed. I am trying to add a part callout to a drawing sheet that points to two instances of a part such that the callout has two leaders back to the same callout balloon. I can only get one leader per callout. I read the V22 "help" for Callout that describes how to make two...
  14. danwilley

Bill Of Materials - Final assembly detail list of basic parts?

I have a final-assembly that contains sub-assemblies, which also contain sub-assemblies... ie: several levels of sub-assemblies. I have marked all of the sub-assemblies "Treat as part in BOM when used as sub-assembly." Is there an (easy) way to leave all of the sub-assemblies flagged this way...
  15. danwilley

"Sheets and Views-->Detail" Line Clipping Bug

The "Sheets and Views--->Detail" function has a line clipping bug. I saw this problem in the last release of Alibre. I was hoping it would be fixed in V21 but it was not. See the problem circled in red. It is always one line that is not clipped. The last time I had this bug it was a horizontal...
  16. danwilley

Drawing Dimensions not same as Part

Hello, I am working on a drawing and some dimensions are off by .0012 (inch) from the part. I have attached a screenshot of both the part (a simple revolution) and the associated drawing. On both screenshots, I have circled the dimensions in question in corresponding colors for clarity. Both...
  17. danwilley

Hidden Lines erroneously rendered in drawing PDF export.

Hello, I am working on a project that has parts, intermediate assemblies... with top level assemblies incorporating the lower level assemblies and parts... essentially three levels of design. (Sorry to those that may already know this from my other posts. I want to make this thread stand alone...
  18. danwilley

Parts Replacement and Exploded View problem

Hello, I am a new user of 3D CAD Modeling and Alibre. I started with a trial license of Atom 3D in early February (2020). Two weeks into that trial I upgraded to a Expert trial license and eventually bought that Expert license two weeks ago (Alibre Build 20072). The learning curve has been...