What's new

Search results

1. jcdammeyer

How to extrude text

I tried that. Works like a charm.
  2. jcdammeyer

How to extrude text

Thank you. That's not intuitively obvious to me but now I just have to try that.
  3. jcdammeyer

How to extrude text

Thanks. Yes. After it was printed is when I noticed the 24. I quickly printed just a 3 and with a chisel removed the 4 from the 3D print. A bit of crazy glue and the 3 is now in place. A bit higher than the 4. Probably because of the way the layers glue together. I'm thinking I might try...
  4. jcdammeyer

How to extrude text

Yes. That's only in British Columbia, not the rest of the country. Our Funeral Home director mentioned how she had just recently has a family where a 13 year old boy died from Fentanyl poisoning. Just wanted to try something apparently. These are mostly all accidental deaths and not the sort...
  5. jcdammeyer

How to extrude text

Thank you. That worked. He went out. Got drunk. We think someone slipped him Fentanyl as the coroner reported toxic levels in his blood. One of the 7 Canadians per day in 2023 to end up this way. At least he took his last breath in his bed at home.
  6. jcdammeyer

How to extrude text

I'm not sure why the extrude boss won't raise the text characters here. There's no error message. Just at red OK button. What do I do to make this work?
  7. jcdammeyer

Can't run Alibre Atom

I thought I'd take a look at Alibre Atom. Maybe I'd be able to get along with something other than Alibre Expert which I've not upgraded due to the ugly V26 user interface. Perhaps Alibre Atom has improved the user interface. However there's no way to try the 30 day evaluation. When I run...
  8. jcdammeyer

Placing text on a curve

I've stayed with Rev 25. Couldn't stand the new larger Icon user interface designed to "enhance my user experience". I sent the step file to a friend to ask if he could do it. Sure enough his copy of Fusion 360 can so if my blocky lettering doesn't 3D print so it looks nice I can do it that...
  9. jcdammeyer

Placing text on a curve

With what version of Alibre is it possible to place text along a curve or arc?
  10. jcdammeyer

Creating spirals

Thanks. You make it look so easy. Of course at the time I thought the C program that generated the G-Code actually worked. Turns out it didn't. I couldn't figure out how the author managed to keep the XY of the origin incrementing in the way it did. Of course that's where the error was...
  11. jcdammeyer

Creating spirals

Thanks Although I've created threads it never occurred to me to use the helical option to do this. I should then be able to mark a point at each intersection with the axis and measure distances. I'm not even sure the IJ method is valid. Problem is the radius changes too. So instead of short...
  12. jcdammeyer

Creating spirals

CNC G-Code can create arcs using either radius or I and J to represent the origin. The CAM program I use can create a circular pocket using a spiral path which turns out to be a series of short lines. I started thinking about how I'd draw a spiral in Alibre and stumbled a bit. The ideal is...
  13. jcdammeyer

Updating Maintenance.

I agree. But to get that you'd have to use one of the newer versions. I did renew last year. I do have a copy of V26. But it wouldn't run on my WIN-7 system. A couple of months ago I finally built a new system with m.2 SSDs, high end graphics card that for Alibre how running WIN-10. I did...
  14. jcdammeyer

Optimum Motherboard for WIN-10/11 and Alibre

Update time: Used two 32GB DIMMs of the DDR4 variety from CORSAIR. Didn't work in the DIMM_A + DIMM_B slot as recommended by the motherboard manual. System wouldn't boot. Would boot with 32GB in the DIMM_A2 slot. Either worked. Also it turns worked as single channel ram with DIMM_A1 and A2...
  15. jcdammeyer

I've been using WHS 2003 up till now. It works as long as you have the ability to plug in an ethernet module that has a driver for WIN-XP. So my ASUS laptop, when the hard drive crashed was not recoverable even thought the data files were. My WIN-7 system gets a small card plugged into the...
  16. jcdammeyer

Thanks. I did buy the expensive Pro version but I might well have said it's only used for Home. Dumb mistake. Will likely re-install. I'm a big believer in "Right to Repair". I think that Microsoft has crossed over the line with WIN-10 and even more so with WIN-11. Decades ago the US...
  17. jcdammeyer

It's there as CORSAIR-2 is visible but the problem is more subtle than that. When you install Windows 11 you are required to give them an email address. Like a fool I gave them my Microsoft email address which is johnd. So then instead of letting me create my own user ID for this workstation it...
  18. jcdammeyer

So... The only change is this: I had installed Windows 11 from a USB drive onto the 2TB hard drive running on my older processor that runs WIN-11. What a pig. I'm told that Windows 11 expects SSD for the system drive and does lots of stuff that just kills response with a standard drive...
  19. jcdammeyer

Toolbar icons in V26 are way too big (Fixed)

Just to close off this part of the thread about what appeared to be data corruption in the STEP file text section of an AD_PRT file. Appears that the AD_PRT file is actually a Microsoft COM implementation called Structured Storage. What that means is the file is really more like a folder on a...
  20. jcdammeyer

So here's what's been ordered: ASUS H770-PLUS D4 w/DDR4-3200 Motherboard Intel i5-12600K CPU plus Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler. 64GB RAM ASUS Dual NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti OC Edition Graphics Card (PCIe 4.0, 8GB GDDR6X Memory) Alreay have brand new 2 TB disk drive so won't be going SSD yet...