What's new

Search results

1. DavidJ

Post Processors for Atom3D or Should I Update to the CNC Versioning?

There are several videos relating to MeshCAM use on the Alibre web site https://www.alibre.com/workshop-cam-training/ Also see MeshCAM's own site https://www.grzsoftware.com/
  2. DavidJ

MeshCAM is a milling package - it is not intended for lathe work. I thought the information provided was clear - but here is a list of POST file taken from my installation of MeshCAM9 (build 46).
  3. DavidJ

Talk to Sales or your local reseller as appropriate - you should be able to add MeshCAM Pro to your Atom3D to make it equivalent to Workshop. MeshCAM does include POSTs for Centroid.
  4. DavidJ

Why is this not fully constrained?

Exactly - none of us have a monopoly on being 'correct'. Preferring the rectangle by centre to not be initially fixed horizontal/vertical is just as valid as preferring that it is so fixed. There are pros and cons to both.
  5. DavidJ

Why is this not fully constrained?

But rectangle by 3 point doesn't have that nice centre point to position it by...
  6. DavidJ

What determines the Item number in the BOM?

Yes, you can drag rows within BoM to change order, then I think it button is called resequence, or reorder (I'm away from my system at the moment).
  7. DavidJ

Alibre drawing Window FROZEN with big red X on top

Do make sure that the recovery options are set to some sensible time period, and try to get into the habit of saving your work if leaving the computer.
  8. DavidJ

License Portal, purpose

Absolutely - support will do that for any customer - but support isn't a 24/7/365 service, and you can just guess when these issues occur... that's the benefit of the portal.
  9. DavidJ

Briefly touch Alt key, or switch to Home Window (then Utilities Tab, System Options -> Display -> General , then un-check 'Hide Menu'. Of course if the UI is completely disconnected (rather than just the Ribbon) this may not help at all.
  10. DavidJ

License Portal, purpose

The portal becomes useful if A) you forget to deactivate licence on one computer before leaving where it is located, then need to use licence on another computer. B) Computer fails, is rolled back, or is stolen. The portal then allows you to instantly release the licence activation yourself...
  11. DavidJ

Error Converting Imported STP to Sheet Metal - Bottom Edge Swapping to Top

Perhaps try starting on the opposite face of what will be the Tab. To get anywhere I had to do a Boolean first to get the conversion part to be near the origin. I also added representative fillets (5 & 10mm) to inside and outside of bend. Looks like the part was either modelled badly or a lot...
  12. DavidJ

In the case above - you MIGHT have been able to recover by activating the Menu Bar or by using keyboard shortcuts to allow saving of the file. We had a spate of these red cross issues quite a while back, which were resolved. It's possible there is some new issue with the UI toolkit used for...
  13. DavidJ

What is the Benefit of Alibre Packages

Yes you can do that - but multi-sheet drawings can become rather slow to work with. Should the file get damaged, you potentially lose a lot of work (so backups become even more important than usual. Also note that a multi-sheet drawing can only reference a single BoM - so that that might limit...
  14. DavidJ

In you case there isn't much value (if any) - but for many the ability to save a package from (say) a drawing of an assembly, and be confident that all needed files will be included is useful. If sending something to support for diagnosis, you may not need to send the whole project - but do...
  15. DavidJ

If you create a Package from and assembly or drawing - you don't even have to think about what files to include with it to allow it to open. Package is in fact a zip archive, with content chosen automatically - and an included file manifest.
  16. DavidJ

Large(?) Assembly Opening Time

Well that's certainly a lot of parts! Are files held on SSD or conventional hard drive? With so many files, the speed of retrieval may be a significant factor. Are files held locally or on network storage? Dedicated data drive or drive shared with OS? Are all files native Alibre ? Imports...
  17. DavidJ

AtomFem? Open source Fem - based on devDept Eyeshot V10

I would only comment that there are lots of FEA tools available - some technically excellent ones are even free (and open source). Biggest issues that I have come across with just about all those I've tried are * non-obvious workflows (often combined with limited examples/documentation) * poor...
  18. DavidJ

Set default drawing dimension styles

As Harold says - customise your template, or better still make your own customised version. Either save your custom template to somewhere other than the Alibre templates directory, or make sure to make an archive copy as the default templates get replaced with each new version.
  19. DavidJ

Different Measurement in Model and Drawing

The 2D drawing dimensions show the projected length of the line, so dimensioning any non orthogonal projection will give answers which don't match the 3D model.
  20. DavidJ

Transformation matrix has scaling that doesn't match the STEP file.

Please tread carefully - a response which is not relevant to the original question might be confusing and hence create extra difficulty. As a minimum perhaps add some extra context if straying from the subject, so everyone is clear what is happening.