What's new

Search results

1. J

v26 Enhancement List

I can't find a wish list anywhere so I will mention it here. It would be really nice if each type of export file format would remember its own destination folder location. I'm running v24, so perhaps it has already been changed...
  2. J

Alibre Script - script requests

I want to right click in the part explorer just like I would do to create a drawing, but I want a script to be generated that would create that part. I can then edit the script to parameterize selected values to create new parts, but I would not need to write my own script from scratch.
  3. J

Alibre Script - script requests

I would like to be able to generate a script from an existing part...
  4. J

Exporting an assembly as Solidworks assembly crashes Alibre

Thanks for the quick reply, Lew. I tried saving one the most complex individual parts as Solidworks part and it crashed Alibre. I opened the assembly again and suppressed this troublesome part, and the entire assembly, as well as the individual files, was exported without crashing. I have yet...
  5. J

Exporting an assembly as Solidworks assembly crashes Alibre

I have a medium complexity assembly that was made from a lot of STEP imports (but saved as Alibre parts) and when I try to export as a Solidworks assembly, it hangs for a while, then dies... Alibre Translate shows up checked in my Add-on Manager... Do I need to first export each part as a...
  6. J

Strange assembly mode when adding constraints

I am using AD Expert 12.1... Normally, when building assemblies, hovering the mouse over a part highlights various surfaces of the part. However, many times while applying constraints it kicks into some sort of mode where the individual surfaces are not highlighted; the entire part is...
  7. J

Altering parts from the Alibre Parts Library

Thanks, Nate, for the tip, Push/Pull Face works great! I am also looking at Ron's program that you mentioned, and the manual he has on http://www.learn3dcad.com/ Thanks again.
  8. J

Altering parts from the Alibre Parts Library

I am trying to use a piece of angle-stock from the parts library, and I get a choice of one 1 inch or 18 feet long. I expected to be able to use the 1 inch version, and edit to the length that I want, and have to believe this is possible. However, I have not yet figured it out, or found...
  9. J

Creating multiple parts from one sketch

I'm pretty new to Alibre, but I would consider drawing the complete part on a "base" sketch, and use the "project to sketch" function to copy the parts you want to three new separate sketches. I suppose copy-paste would be about the same. I don't think there is any linkage between the "base"...
  10. J

Degrees of freedom: how to find remaining.

Thanks for the information, David. I like the convenience of selecting faces instead of individual edges, but since technically the fillet is being applied to the "edge", I can do it that way. However, even when selecting edges, I get the off-in-space fillet at the rounded end of the part. In...
  11. J

Thanks, Miles, for the quick and informative reply. The auto-dimension trick does help find things left to constrain, but it didn't solve my main problem... I am making a fairly simple part, one extrusion, one cut, and some fillets. When I try to apply the 3D fillets, some of the curved edges...
  12. J

I have been drawing my 2D sketches very carefully, trying to minimize DOF while drawing. However, I can't avoid finishing a sketch and still have some open items. I can use "Analyze" to sometimes find problems, but after that I end up trying to drag sketch elements around to see what moves...
  13. J

Guide to mouse pointer icons?

Greetings. I have started using AD after using some other design tools, and am very impressed... One thing that would be nice to have is a summary of all possible mouse pointer icons, similar to a shortcut-key cheat sheet. While using the program, I am frequently encountering mouse pointer...