What's new

Search results

1. jhiker

Flexible bellows - how to..?

Hi, The pink part in the assembly is a representation of a flexible stainless steel bellows and I'm happy with the shape of it. The pipe is extruded along a 3D sketch. I would like to make it look more like the real thing. Ideally I would revolve a single 'bellows' shape at the start of the pipe...
  2. jhiker

Any idea what this error message means?

I can't save my model. The message refers to an offending part (ID6215) which is buried in one of the sub-assemblies. I can open ID6215 and save it. I can open the two assemblies that use ID6215 and I can save them too. I can't save the top-level model. Any thoughts?
  3. jhiker

Save icon top left - hard to see status..

Any chance Alibre can redesign this 'Save' icon? It's very difficult to tell whether it's 'lit up' or not.
  4. jhiker

Saving as Keyshot BIP file - slow..

Anybody noticed any issues with saving an assembly as a BIP file - it's taking ages for me. Been for a cup of coffee and it's still running..!
  5. jhiker

Can't select sketch items in order to pattern them.

Since upgrading to V23 I can't select a sketch item in order to pattern it. Anybody else see this? 'Feature pattern' works OK but not sketch pattern.
  6. jhiker

How to tackle this tricky shape?

Any thoughts on how best to tackle this? I have a 2" OD tube with an elliptical hole through it. Around the 2" OD tube is a 1/8"OD cooling pipe 'loop' which is brazed to it. The cooling loop has to go round the elliptical hole (preferably at both sides) - seems I have to curve it in two...
  7. jhiker

Constraints query - tangent & motion

Just messing with the 'new' constraints. I have anchored the large cylinder and applied a tangent constraint to two of the smaller ones. How do I drag the smaller one to make it roll round the OD of the larger one as shown in the constraints help dialogue example. It will only drag along it's...
  8. jhiker

[fix target: v23]Does V22 split every single surface when you pass a model through to Keyshot now?

Does V22 split every single surface when you pass a model through to Keyshot now? If I drag and drop a material from the KS material library window at the LHS on to a component it applies the material to the whole component. However, if I use copy and paste (Shft+LMB - Shft+RMB) it seems to...
  9. jhiker

Another meaningless error message

Using M-Files. I am trying to check out a model from 2017 and I get this message. Alibre will not open it but M-Files will show it as checked out. The pop-up means nothing to me. I do not know whether it's significant but there appear to be two copies in M-Files. How? I know not. Any ideas?
  10. jhiker

New error message - can't open file.

Well, this is a new one.. I can't open an assembly. There are five component parts all of which open just fine. I get this error message and M-Files leaves the assembly 'checked out' Never seen this before. Thanks.
  11. jhiker

Alibre takes a loooong time to find a part which is in a pattern.

I have noticed that if I'm working on a large assembly and I try to identify a part that is itself part of a pattern by right-clicking -> show part in explorer' Alibre hangs for several minutes before coming back to life. It usually finds the part but it takes an age to do so. Anybody else see...
  12. jhiker

Convert to sheet metal - failing...

I've used this before with success but I'm struggling with this one. Here's a simple bracket which I modelled in 'part' workspace. I would like to convert it to a sheet metal part but I'm failing. I can't populate the 'Bends' section of the dialogue so I end up with just the tab and no flanges...
  13. jhiker

2D drawing - hiding parts

When hiding parts in a 2D drawing it can take quite some time and Alibre doesn't show a progress bar until the last few seconds when it is 'updating views' and I am sometimes not sure whether the command is being actioned. Can we have a 'working..' or a 'please wait..' or something? Sometimes...
  14. jhiker

V21 constraints - how to determine which part moves.

In the new constraint tool is there any way to control which part moves and which remains stationary without first using the 'anchor' tool. For instance, when I apply a concentric constraint 9 times out of ten the 'wrong' part moves no matter which part I select first. Thanks.
  15. jhiker

Part has become a SAT file.

Here's a weird one.. opened this assembly this morning and I want to modify the flange with all the ports on it. I constructed it using a few Boolean ops. I 'edit in new window' from the top level assembly and I'm surprised to find it's listed as an imported SAT file and in a strange...
  16. jhiker

Object reference not set..

I got this error message again this morning while trying to constrain an elbow to a tube as part of a Boolean Add operation. It is not really very helpful so I don't know how to avoid it in the future. I deleted the entire Boolean operation and started again with good results this time.
  17. jhiker

I had the 'object reference not set..' error again today.

Hi, I was in the middle of a Boolean add operation and got the error pop-up again. I was working on the manifold and brought in a new flange with the Boolean Unite operation. Selected 'component placement/precise placement' in order to rotate the new flange, picked an edge on the manifold to...
  18. jhiker

Alibre fails to open files sometimes..

Too many times Alibre fails to open an assembly. I'm going through M-Files and the 'accessing data' message runs for quite some time before I get the 'loading xyz'. Sometimes Alibre just stalls and I have to close it and sometimes I get a green check suggesting the file has been checked-out but...
  19. jhiker

Facet resolution

Does this setting actually do anything? I tried it on both coarse and fine - click apply and I can't see any difference. Does it require a restart?
  20. jhiker

IDX (incremental Design Exchange) file format..?

Has anyone come across the IDX (incremental Design Exchange) file format and knows how it might be imported into Alibre? It is supposed to facilitate collaboration between electronic and mechanical designers but i'd not heard of it before today...