What's new

Search results

1. DBC

3D Spline with Control Points

Alibre Design Expert 2019 doesn't seem to have a 3D Spline with Control Points tool. In a different forum folks have been taking about modeling the twisted fixture exercise seen here. It is very easy in SolidWorks. Just a simple loft between two rectangles using tangency to face constraints...
  2. DBC

How would you approach this Torus Coil in Alibre?

I saw this torus coil on Instagram and thought it looked cool and thought I would give it a whirl. I can think of a couple ways to get the initial coil in TurboCAD (sweep with a twist, bend a straight helix sweep) but getting the extended straight pieces has me stumped there. I tried in Alibre...
  3. DBC

Sheet Metal Features Tools

How can I get the features items on the sheet metal ribbon or how can I get the Alt tool menu to stay visible under the ribbon. I know I can make a toolbar, but figure it should have already been done by the programmers.
  4. DBC

Alibre Crashing a lot since last update.

I am having lots of program crashes since the last update Version: 2019 64-bit [Build 20065] at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.CreateHandle(CreateParams cp) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateHandle() at System.Windows.Forms.Form.CreateHandle() at...
  5. DBC

Jaggies

Are you guys seeing jaggies in your keyshot renders, even when output at 300dpi? Wondering if I need to change my display settings in Alibre or if there are some settings in KeyShot that I have overlooked.
  6. DBC

How to Project a 2D Sketch onto a Curved Surface

Is it possible to project a 2D Sketch (spline) onto a curved surface so it can become a path for a sweep. I am trying to do my grooved bottle tutorial in Alibre and finding some difficulties. No easy way to scale a sketch and not seeing a way to project a path.
  7. DBC

Constrain Indicators

Not all constraint indicators are visible in a sketch, such as a concentric constraint (circle center to origin, for instance). How can you delete the constraint if you can see the indicator? Can't see it in first image, pull on the arc a bit and it shows. How can I make that constraint...
  8. DBC

OT - Let's Talk Tolerances

I am curious if someone has a thought pattern they go through when designing and considering tolerances. I ask because I have never been confident when determining them, although no one has ever really complained to me about them in my drawings (although the aluminum extruder I/we used in my...
  9. DBC

Model Not Opening In KeyShot when Selecting Render

In the latest version of Alibre, when I have a model opened and select render, Keyshot opens but no model appears. If I close Keyshot it reopens again trying to load, but come up empty again. Version: 2019 64-bit [Build 20055] Sure feels like I am beta testing this, when I should not have to be...
  10. DBC

Dimple or Project Sketch to Face & 3D Subtract / Split Bodies

I am modeling a plastic water bottle and I am having trouble with a few surface details. Sorry for all items in one post but they are all related. 1. First I created a s design using 2 splines by control points. Add 2 tangential circles and tried to trim to slot. Trim tool does not work on the...
  11. DBC

Fillet "Hidden" Edges

I am trying to fillet some edges that are hidden in a bottle and I can't select them even in wireframe view, nor does the section view work while having the fillet tool active, thinking I might be able to select them in a section view. Surely there must be some way to select an edge that appears...
  12. DBC

2D Helix

Alibre doesn't seem to have the capability of creating a 2D helix/spiral. Is that the case? I am trying create the centrifugal pump I just created in TurboCAD in Alibre to see if can do it there. I start with a helix that will be used for a sweep path, but Alibre's helix tool doesn't seem to...
  13. DBC

KeyShot Virus

Anyone else see this?
  14. DBC

Additions I would like to see in Alibre

Here is a list of things I would like to see Alibre developers implement. I know folks will want to offer workarounds and some won't see the point to some or all of these and that is your prerogative, but I have used these in other programs and they are great additions to help with workflow...
  15. DBC

Model Update in KeyShot

When a user has opened a model from Alibre in KeyShot and makes some model edits in Alibre, how does one get the model to update in KeyShot. As an Alibre add-on it would seem this should be possible, but I cannot find a way.
  16. DBC

Multi-Body Parts

Is there a way to create multi-body parts in Alibre 2019? Doesn't seem like it from what I can tell. If you are not familiar with this, it is a way to make different bodies in a single part drawing, where the individual bodies are not automatically joined. Think of a jewelry box with a top and...
  17. DBC

STP Export

Anyone having issues with STP 214 export. I have tried to export an assembly and open in TurboCAD. The model comes over, but it won't allow the application of materials and does some strange graphical things on screen. Note that I tried with the STP 203 export and it works fine. TurboCAD, like...
  18. DBC

Mechanical Constraints - Screw

Am I correct in assuming that Alibre Expert 2018 does not have any mechanical constraints such as Screw, Gear, Cam, Slot, Rack and Pinion. At this point I am particularly interested in a screw constraint.
  19. DBC

Auto Constraint

I am just attempting to make a simple fully constrained, dimension driven cabinet and I am wondering if there is a setting to turn on automatic constraints. In the first image I have selected the top of the side panel as the surface I want to work on. In the second image I am activating the...
  20. DBC

Mid Plane Reference Plane

Is it not possible to create a mid plane reference plane in Alibre Expert 2018? I.E. Select two facets and select reference plane to create mid plane, as in the SW example. Sorry for all the newbie questions, but I coming up with quite a list of things that I could easily do in in SW that don't...