What's new

10 Gigabit Network with Alibre

GeraldH

Does anyone else have experience using Alibre across a 10 Gig network?

All my Alibre files are stored on my local server and accessed by a handful of workstations.
I upgraded some of my network to 10 Gigabit, and found Alibre to load assemblies much slower than before. (This is not a network problem as windows is able to read/write files across the network around 8x faster).
The problem is with Alibre only. Opening an assembly that took 2 1/2 min. now takes 5 min.o_O

Could it be a hardware issue? I've tried tweaking the settings, and driver versions on the NIC. Does Alibre have compatibility recommendations for a NIC? Thanks.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have 'autotune' enabled - it has been commented before that it really isn't optimised for large files (which 3D CAD files tend to be).

I disabled autotune on the adapters at both ends of connection between PC and server - that was some time back though, things may have changed more recently.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Have you tried upping the MTU size on your devices? Also, have you got a way of measuring the network collision/retry metrics to make sure that your cabling, routing, etc is not causing huge transmission errors.

GeraldH

Thanks for the ideas. I had been trying everything I could and wasn't able to improve it. Network speed tests proved all was fine on the network.

I just dropped in another NIC and the problem seems to be solved! I went from the ASUS XG C100C to the Intel x540 and now it works. Not positive what does it, but something about the way the ASUS card handles things, Alibre doesn't like.

-Gerald

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I went from the ASUS XG C100C to the Intel x540 and now it works
It's probably like the 3rd party GPU drivers that use the core NVIDIA drivers ... I've found that laptop and motherboard drivers based on the manufacturers core chipset drivers, usually either add extra bloatware or just aren't 100% implemented or optimised and never fully get updates/fixes/enhancements that the hardware manufacture rolls out.

Glad you've found a solution that gives you full speed! ... even if I am very jealous here on my 10/100/1000BaseT based network! :)