What's new

16 Bit (medium) color VS. 32 Bit (highest) settings.

esingleton

16 Bit (medium) color VS. 32 Bit (highest) settings.

I know that it is recommended by AD support that you run the color setting at 16 bit. However I have two different computers that I regularly run AD on, Alienware graphics workstation at work, and a Dell 4200 at home. The work computer works just fine at 32 bit, the Dell won't show you dimensions or sketch nodes if set to 32. What causes this? I would like to set both to 32 bit because at 16 bits many graphics appear striated or pixelated. Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Eric

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

Unless you are having problems that cannot be solved by another means (driver update or whatever), I you can run fine on 32 bit. Have you tried it?

Mibe

Alibre Super User
Re:

esingleton said:
Yes I have tried it. My question is why does it work on some computers at 32 Bit and others only at 16?

Ths depends on the capabilities of your graphics card.

Cheaper cards (not fully DirectX 8.0 or higher), integrated cards or cards used in laptops = trouble.

Stick to ATI or Nvidia with at least 128 MB memory, then you will be safe. If not, the driver is not correctly configured.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

refer back to a previous post from AA5 (]http://www.alibre.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40&start=15]) for further tips.

AA5 said:
Here are a few suggestions for display settings that may help the problem with the flickering screen. I would try these one at a time to see if a particular setting affects the outcome.

* In the Alibre home window (you should see the 'contacts' list box on the left hand side of this window) Go to: Tools > Options and go to the Display tab. Please, make sure to check the Software emulation button.

* In the same display tab, there is a settings button. Go into the settings> Go to the Settings tab in the Display Properties > Change the color quality to 16-bit and lower resolutions higher than 1024 x 768 to 1024 x 768.

* In the same settings tab there is an advanced button > go to the tab with the name of your display driver > Change the options for Antialiasing to Application (It is normally in the performance options).

* Download the latest drivers for your video card. While still in the advanced options of the Display Settings > go to the Adapter Tab > Properties > Driver Tab >Download the latest drivers for your video card.

* Next, go to Start > run > type dxdiag Is your version of DirectX 8.1 or higher? If not, install the latest DirectX from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx

*In the Windows, go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Display. Go to the Settings tab, click on the Advanced button and go to the General tab. Change the DPI to 96 if it is set to 120 ...

* Restart your computer if necessary to have the changes take affect
I hope one of these suggestions work. These settings cure 95 percent of the display problems I see...