What's new

2019- List of New Features or Fixes

Max

Administrator
Staff member
The alpha will probably start within 7 days. I don't think we're going to make the alpha publicly available to everyone - there's some very specific testing we need some user feedback with. The alpha will last approximately 2 weeks. Then we'll take another week or two to circle the wagons, and then release a public beta.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
But what about Feature upgrade and polishing?

A few things here. DirectX 9, on which our previous pipeline was built, will end of life shortly. Our option was to custom write a new pipeline again (bad) or use a component.

We choose a component for a few reasons :
  1. They write graphics pipelines for a living
  2. They handle the (non trivial) video card testing
The benefits are :
  1. Much better large assembly graphics performance. Going from 5 FPS to 25 for example is a huge feature to those that need it.
  2. It looks much nicer. You can argue this is not important but once you use it I bet you wouldn't go back.
  3. Some nifty things like fancy view styles. Many won't care about these, but they are basically "free" from a dev perspective so we will put them in
This platform also sets us up to be able to do lots of things :
  1. Texturing, for whole parts but also for things like showing threads with images, a highly requested feature
  2. Bringing in an image onto a plane to trace over
  3. Arbitrary face coloring
  4. Draggable section views
  5. The list goes on
So we didn't implement this to just "look pretty", though that is a nice side effect that you will enjoy :)

Ydl

....also sets us up to be able to do lots of things :
  1. Texturing, for whole parts but also for things like showing threads with images, a highly requested feature
  2. Bringing in an image onto a plane to trace over
  3. Arbitrary face coloring
  4. Draggable section views
  5. The list goes on
So we didn't implement this to just "look pretty", though that is a nice side effect that you will enjoy :)

Yes please!

Reactions: MKR

MilesH

Alibre Super User
]
I said arbitrary not crazy! Email me your split face use case though max @ alibre.com .
Nothing exotic! I was just wondering if the new graphics pipeline itself would solve the problem of Feature Colors on adjoining Features with contiguous faces......

Reactions: MKR

Max

Administrator
Staff member
No, that is a much more involved thing to tinker with. Question - what if the property of "make this feature its own set of faces" was at a feature level, such as a checkbox during feature creation, and not an inherent behavior. I can see lots of times where this would not be desired. Would that work? Still would have to do it, and wouldn't be for 2019.0, but perhaps would be easier (no promises).