What's new

3639 error wants my hard drive SN

dazwecutr

3639 error. Licensing library failed, hard drive serial number timeout.
Ive reinstalled on 3 hard drives and still get this. My cpu, gpu and memory are not bogged down by amnything I have 30 gigs of ram, i7, mx150 gpu on win 10 and nothing runs at startup except AVG antivirus. Im not sure that any other program asks for a hard drive serial number. I believe Windows hides it so that nothing directly manipulates the operating system. The Alibre /email help says to keep trying the reset/retry button and someday my system resources may be low enough to run . It runs at 3%cpu resources so I guess its up to me to figure out how this software works. Anybody got a fix for this?

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Do you have any additional drives - even removable ones like USB, SD cards,.. - plugged in at program startup that may be somehow causing the issue? I would give support another try if you don't get it. They usually give answers that should work for most people and if that doesn't work you should follow up with them.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
It is looking for your system drive serial number - it's just a way to identify the computer, that's a standard feature of Nalpeiron licensing. If it doesn't get a response within 5 seconds, the error will be displayed.

We see 2 typical cases of this error:

1. Silent Windows update or AV scan, or other app using up all resources, so system can't respond in timely fashion to the query. Try again when system is less busy.

2. Something odd with Windows installation such that the program to retrieve the disk information is not in the standard location ( %windir%\System32\mountvol.exe ) or is not available to the account that is running Alibre. Try running Alibre as administrator to see if that helps or check permissions for mountvol, if not a re-install of Windows may be needed.

Of course a failing system disk could be the cause, but that is (thankfully) uncommon.

Case 1 is more common on lower spec machines, but can happen occasionally even on well specified machines.