What's new

3D Animation out of Alibre

ROB101

I have a customer that requested a very simple 3d animation of our 3d model. I.e. an assembly being rotated around. I did a forum search, but is there currently an addon, program, or script that people are using lately? I'm using Alibre Expert. Thanks

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Check https://www.alibre.com/forum/index.php?threads/motion-studies.21013/post-134871
User IDSLK would probably be able to assist. There are probably some tweaks to the script such as strategic sleeping that would make the result optimal. You can append screenshot scripts to output the file each step to get an image list. Various software converts imagelists to an avi, for example.

I don't know what you mean by "rotated around" but try the Gyroscope tool. It spins the view itself around until you stop it. If this is the effect you want, you can just record the screen with Camtasia or some other screen recorder.

1660858261450.png

Last edited:

idslk

Alibre Super User
assembly being rotated around.
User IDSLK would probably be able to assist
if you have questions to the script max has linked, feel free to ask.
If you only need a 720 degree rotation you could also try the appended script ("ziped" becouse .pyp can not be uploaded...) with "run as protected"

Regards
Stefan

Attachments

• rotate720.zip
    1 KB · Views: 6

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I get the same results for part and assembly. I can tolerate it for about 5 seconds then I get dizzy.o_O

How did you get your Assembly to do the Michael Jackson spin-dance thing?

Like Stephan mentioned, my assembly workspace doesn't have that button. It only exists in my part workspace.

In the part workspace, mine spins normally.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 18

idslk

Alibre Super User
i do not see the "gyroscope"-button here in assembly:

1660860732588.png

it's only available in the menu
1660861108766.png

Regards
Stefan

Ken226

Alibre Super User
as i stated before...

Your post shows to have occurred at 5:18pm,

Harold's at 5:19pm I suspect you two were typing at the same time.

I agree with your point. If it's available in the menu, there's no good reason for it to not exist on the ribbon in the assembly workspace, when it does in the part workspace.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Well!

That's not very useful.
Perhaps he shouldn't have made the part so aerodynamic!

@Max is there a way to control the speed of the Gyro tool?

I don't remember it spinning so fast.

No, and I'm not sure why it would spin that fast especially for some people but not others. I'll ping dev about it.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
No, and I'm not sure why it would spin that fast especially for some people but not others. I'll ping dev about it.
Is there anywhere to set the rotation speed? Maybe it just rotates as fast as the animation code cycle takes instead of rotating an angle per frame based on the cycle/frame execution delta time! Just as thought.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I don't know if it matters but here are my System Options display settings and Windows 10 graphics settings:

1660947028153.png

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
It seems like only small models spin really fast. I just opened my monster Monitor engine and it rotated real slow, normal like it should. But smaller models and parts spin like crazy.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
This .40 case is only .85" long. It rotates slowly on my pc.

How small was that part that was doing the Michael Jackson?

Attachments

• .40 case.AD_PRT
    1 MB · Views: 3

simonb65

Alibre Super User
It seems like only small models spin really fast. I just opened my monster Monitor engine and it rotated real slow, normal like it should. But smaller models and parts spin like crazy.
Sounds like the frame time is dependant on the time it takes to process each frame rather than it being controlled and driven by a delta time. That was one problem with early game animation that used to go all out to achieve animation .... only for newer faster machines to speed up! I'm sure dev will sort it. Would be interesting if Alibre had a frames per second indicator to see what effect processor speed had on update rates.