What's new

3D Animation out of Alibre

simonb65

Alibre Super User
@Max, I've just tested a model and rotational speed changes with the size of the Alibre window, so it does appear to be just free running rather than using the delta time between rendered frames to work out the required frame rotational angle in order to maintain a constant rotational speed, as you would usually do for any animation.

i.e. you want 360deg/sec. It takes 10ms to render a frame, then the step needs to be 3.6 deg/frame increment.

If it takes 20ms to render the same frame (on a larger resolution monitor), then the step needs to be 7.2 deg/frame increment to maintain the same visual rotation rate.

As mentioned before, an option to set the speed would also be useful.

ROB101

Sounds like the frame time is dependant on the time it takes to process each frame
Yes, it appears that when you do things like remove the reference planes the assembly spins much faster. Less aerodynamic drag, I guess. I'm still looking into all these great options and learning about scripts. Thanks everyone.
if you have questions to the script max has linked, feel free to ask.
Also, I was able to download the script and figure out how it works. Although I'm still trying to figure out how it times each script frame, because the code doesn't mention anything about timing or delays. I guess these scripts run on a preset timing.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Although I'm still trying to figure out how it times each script frame, because the code doesn't mention anything about timing or delays. I guess these scripts run on a preset timing.
This is a simple script and it does not any sync. It simply pushes a value for a new rotation angle and than Alibre produces the view (as fast as Alibre does it...)
To have some kind of "control" with minimum work you can add wait cycles... Here is the old script with 3 new lines:
Code:
import time # new line to slow down the new position

Win = Windows()
WT = 'IDSLK'
ScriptName = 'DBC_move'
wheeltravel = 45
speed = 360/wheeltravel
ca = CurrentAssembly()
for i in range(len(ca.Parameters)):
  if ca.Parameters[i].Name == 'A2':
    M = i
Posi_x = ca.Parameters[M].Value
for r in range(wheeltravel):

time.sleep(0.2) # new line to slow down the new position

Posi_x = Posi_x - speed
  ca.Parameters[M].Value = Posi_x
for r in range(wheeltravel):

time.sleep(0.2) # new line to slow down the new position

Posi_x = Posi_x + speed
  ca.Parameters[M].Value = Posi_x
print 'done'

Regards
Stefan

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I had and still have some similar speed issues when models are rotated based on view button clicks and also view orienting for sketches and extrusions - if left turned on in the settings.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I recorded a short video of a gyroscope speed test I did with three models, one part and two assemblies.
The speed is dependant on model 'complexity' and number of vertices, edges and faces, i.e the time it takes to calculate and render all the geometry per animation frame. The physical size of the model is not a direct factor. Scale up your washer to 100 ft diameter, it still spins as fast as the small washer! Also reduce the size of the Alibre window and the render per frame is quicker because the fill routines that draw coloured faces have less pixels to draw.

So the speed is dependant on ...

a) Your processor speed.
b) The amount of geometry that needs rendering. i.e. more vertices, edges and faces.
c) The size of the viewport on the screen for the render. i.e. less or more pixels to fill and draw.

It is not dependant on ...

a) Physical real world dimension of the model.

idslk

Alibre Super User
The speed is dependant on model 'complexity' and number of vertices, edges and faces,
that's why i asked about the model specs
a) Your processor speed.
b) The amount of geometry that needs rendering. i.e. more vertices, edges and faces.
c) The size of the viewport on the screen for the render. i.e. less or more pixels to fill and draw.
that's why i asked for the computer specs...

Regards
Stefan

Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Here are the part/assy specs:
Washer.png

Lathe Support.png

Monitor Engine.png

And here's my computer specs:

monitor specs.png

display specs.png

system spec.png

I reduced the size of the workspace window to about a quarter of the size in the video and it didn't seem to make any difference in the rotation speed. :confused:

Last edited:

Ken226

Alibre Super User
32 core threadripper, with 64g of memory. No wonder. Your hot-rod computer is making short work of the computations involved.

:D I finally found something my cheap laptop does better than your supercomputer!

download.jpg

Last edited:

idslk

Alibre Super User
I reduced the size of the workspace window to about a quarter of the size in the video and it didn't seem to make any difference in the rotation speed.
well, with this computer may Alibre is the limiting factor...;)

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Your hot-rod computer...
I got mainly for KeyShot rendering so I could make use of GPU rendering. I compared a couple of images and the time went from 89 seconds using CPU to 27 seconds using GPU. It does seem to handle Alibre quite well, although it does take a few seconds to rebuild the Monitor model but nothing like my laptop. And it doesn't help on features that Alibre has issues with. In my opinion. if Alibre can't figure out how to create a feature I don't think any "hot-rod" computer will help.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Lol, I'm not surprised looking at your machine spec!
I should have noted that I made the change on the Monitor engine model. Based on your statement to "Also reduce the size of the Alibre window and the render per frame is quicker because the fill routines that draw coloured faces have less pixels to draw" I was expecting it to speed up a bit but it didn't, at least not that I could notice.:confused:

BTW, doing these tests is the most I've used the Gyroscope since it was introduced. Something similar is/was available in SolidWorks and I used that at work as a screen saver of sorts. I would start the model spinning then lock my computer and go to lunch.:)

When I need a render of something I made in Alibre I export if for Blender for more control. It's certainly not the easiest solution, but If your willing to learn the basics of a new software package you can get some very good results for a reasonable time investment. If you don't want to mess with shaders there are material preset packs on blender market too. They take the geometry into account and have settings that can automatically add interesting effects like edge wear, grunge, cavity masking, etc.

It doesn't work well for wireframes however, as you'll get messy polygonal wireframes instead of nice clean nurbs ones. But for final renders it works great. I made the following sci-fi prop in Alibre and exported it to Blender and Substance for baking and texturing. You can get good results with just blender materials too though, no need to mess with textures.

Attachments

• Thumbnail.jpg
    Thumbnail.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 17

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Can I borrow that 12A model for various rendering purposes? :D
I sent it in a zip file, along with the image/drawing used to create it, via the Alibre Dropbox link on the Alibre web site.

If you want I can also send the KeyShot bip file.

Last edited:

danwrnr11

I have a customer that requested a very simple 3d animation of our 3d model. I.e. an assembly being rotated around. I did a forum search, but is there currently an addon, program, or script that people are using lately? I'm using Alibre Expert. Thanks
Have you considered Blender?