What's new

3D connexion On the fly rotation center point too.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
Hi.
Space Navigator (3D Connexion) zoom trouble is now gone.
But the rotation center point is not the mouse position, unlike CoCreate.
Please see the difference.
We still need to rotate with mouse buttons click to rotate.V11.1

Attachments

• 2008-11-06_103424.png
    2008-11-06_103424.png
    31 KB · Views: 30
  • Coparing.7z
    2.6 MB · Views: 22

M00m137

Not sure if this is the same problem or not, but - how does Alibre (25 now) choose the rotation point when using a spaceball (or whatever pretentious name 3dconnexion have for their latest offering)?

Because it's weird. typically the rotation centre point will be outside the model, typically somewhere behind the model, such that trying to rotate the model results in it flying off the screen. Basically this is making the Spaceball more trouble than it's worth, at the moment.

M00m137

Oops - thanks David.
That does seem to have fixed it. The odd thing is that the original rotation point was nowhere near any of those three options. I can only surmise that at some point I brought in a part and placed it a long way away from the assembly, and Alibre set a rotation point while it was in that state...

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I have noticed too, in v25, that the rotation point seems to be somewhere off the model and when I rotate it with my Space Navigator it zips off the screen, or nearly so. The fix for me is to open the Rotation Point dialog and change the default Center of Volume to Origin for those parts that are centered on the Origin.

M00m137

Agreed. It didn't seem to matter which option I chose to change it to, it seemed like the act of changing it was important. I also found that with big assemblies (or not even that big, really - 20 or so parts) the act of changing the rotation point seemed to slow Alibre right down, to the point of unusability. Saving the model and re-opening fixed that, and the CoR is fixed too.

Bit of a bother, though..

MilesH

Alibre Super User
To use a 3D Connexion device to rotate around a specific piece of geometry 'on the fly': L&RMB drag over the geometry, momentarily, then, as long as the L&RMBs remain held down, the model will rotate around that point with your 3DConnexion device. Using this method is far smoother than moving your mouse and soon the use of both hands for a one-off specific rotation point comes naturally. Having said that, I wish the temporary rotation point could somehow stay with the 3D Connexion device after L&RMBs have been released, until a further action (eg Shortcut Key added to one of the 3D Connexion buttons) would change back to the default rotation point :cool:

Last edited: