What's new

3D connexion space mouse

Redshift

Hello. Im new to Alibre. I am liking it so far but I am wondering if anyone else uses the 3d connexion space mouse to move your model around? I have one but notice in Alibre that the movement is pretty jerky. Makes it kind of annoying to use. Its smooth in freecad and fusion but in Alibre it will move smooth briefly then hang up and just keeps doing that. Making it jerky to use. Navigation with keyboard and regular mouse is good.
Is there any settings, an update or some drivers I need for Alibre to work smooth with the space mouse? Or is this just the way it is? Thanks.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I don't use one, but I've had the mouse discussion here in the past. I know several members here have them and love them.

Likely you just need to do some fine tuning of settings.

Someone with personal experience will probably chime in shortly and get you started down the right track.

If I'm remembering right, @HaroldL uses one.

Also, if you do a search, you'll almost certainly find some previous discussions on setting up a spacemouse as I recall several discussions over the past year.

Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I have been using the Space Navigator for years and can't work without it. I have noted an odd behavior that sometimes while sketching it will become real erratic while moving or rotating the model. The only thing that will fix it is to save and close the model then restart Alibre.

One thing you want to do is adjust the sensitivity down so it doesn't move the model so fast on the screen. As you get used to it you can speed it up if you want.
Here's the setting on mine, the sliders on the Advanced tab are all centered.

1659933120849.png

I am stuck with an older version driver for it since the Space Navigator is obsolete and no longer supported by 3DConnexion. Maybe some day I'll update to a Space Mouse but as long as it's working for me I don't see a reason to change it out right now.

Redshift

I have been using the Space Navigator for years and can't work without it. I have noted an odd behavior that sometimes while sketching it will become real erratic while moving or rotating the model. The only thing that will fix it is to save and close the model then restart Alibre.

One thing you want to do is adjust the sensitivity down so it doesn't move the model so fast on the screen. As you get used to it you can speed it up if you want.

View attachment 36767

I am stuck with an older version driver for it since the Space Navigator is obsolete and no longer supported by 3DConnexion. Maybe some day I'll update to a Space Mouse but as long as it's working for me I don't see a reason to change it out right now.
Thanks. I am using the space mouse pro wireless and version 25 of Alibre professional and Im loving it so far. I've gotten used to using the space mouse from other programs and I love it as well. I wont go back to not using one. Lol.
I've been playing with the settings to try and fine tune it. it still works but there is definitely hesitation moments that make it stutter when moving. just not feeling smooth. everything seems up to date on my end so not sure whats up. Hopfully I can get it smoothed out somehow, these space mouse's are great tools.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I'd try using a different version driver from 3DConnexion. I think I went through three versions on my because of some incompatibility issues with Alibre..

Redshift

Ok. Actually I did not have the space mouse drivers updated apparently. I thought I did. I updated it and it does seem to be working better now. there is still an occasional studder but not as bad. usable. there is also a new option now in the settings to calibrate that wasn't there before.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Calibrate ahs been in 3DConnexion software for many years. You mention v25 of Alibre - make sure that you have the service pack (build 25037) as the initial public build could suffer graphical stutters in some circumstances.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
there is also a new option now in the settings to calibrate that wasn't there before.
Calibrate ahs been in 3DConnexion software for many years.
When I was in contact with 3DConnexion support a week or so ago I was informed that Calibrate had been removed from a few versions of the driver because it somehow self calibrated to the program it was being used on. However it was being reintroduced to give more control to the users.
I had to roll back to v10.7.4 on my computers in order to have calibration since it was removed on the newer version I was running. IF calibration is included again I may update the latest version to see if that is any better than what I have now.

sz0k30

View attachment 36767

I have been using this exact one for years and love it! Couldn't work without it.

Redshift

When I was in contact with 3DConnexion support a week or so ago I was informed that Calibrate had been removed from a few versions of the driver because it somehow self calibrated to the program it was being used on. However it was being reintroduced to give more control to the users.
I had to roll back to v10.7.4 on my computers in order to have calibration since it was removed on the newer version I was running. IF calibration is included again I may update the latest version to see if that is any better than what I have now.
I installed 10.8.8 last night and calibrate is back in settings. I think i had 10.8.7. Not sure. Which ever version it was did not have calibrate.
It is still not as smooth as i would like but its not bad. usable. Thanks.

@Redshift - I use the SpaceMouse Pro Wireless with v10.8.7 and have no stuttering, but I want to say in the past I had similar issues. Are you dealing with large assemblies or is it stuttering with any/all models?

I don't remember exactly how or what fixed my issues when I had them, but I would recommend making sure your video drivers are up to date as well. I would also make sure you're at V25 SP1, if you're not already, as others have mentioned. Maybe add your computer specs and software in your signature so others can see that as well.

On a side note, I noticed you're from Alaska. I was born and raised in Homer.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Enabling hardware accelerated graphics scheduling in Windows can give a noticeable improvement to display performance (if Windows and graphics driver are new enough to support it).

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Enabling hardware accelerated graphics scheduling in Windows can give a noticeable improvement to display performance (if Windows and graphics driver are new enough to support it).
@DavidJ , is this the setting you mentioned?

1659973579645.png

I'm not sure about the Graphics performance preference and choosing an app to set performance though. I don't know if I should choose Alibre or KeyShot, or if I need to. :confused: :confused:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Harold,

Yes - hardware accelerated GPU scheduling should be enabled if it is offered. It off-loads the CPU at the cost of using one graphics core to do the scheduling.

If your system offers performance vs battery life option , you have a dual GPU system - you should specify Alibre to use the 'performance' GPU - Windows can hold settings for multiple apps.

Redshift

I have stuttering if the cursor hover over a face, which is highlighted then. Maybe this is what you notice?
The problem is not the mouse cursor. A space mouse moves the actual model around in space, the stuttering is the model hesitating when moving it with the space mouse. It moves around but just not smoothly like in my other programs. It moves smooth in freecad and smooth in fusion.

BlackBird28

The problem is not the mouse cursor. A space mouse moves the actual model around in space, the stuttering is the model hesitating when moving it with the space mouse. It moves around but just not smoothly like in my other programs. It moves smooth in freecad and smooth in fusion.
I know… I have a spacemouse… but if the model rotates under your cursor and the faces under the cursor changes (highlight) I had stuttering. I don’t. know if this is still the case, because I don’t use the software much. At work I use inventor and I don’t have the time to do much private stuff with alibre at home. the last freelance jobs where rhino and pure 2d drawing stuff.

RickH

Hello. Im new to Alibre. I am liking it so far but I am wondering if anyone else uses the 3d connexion space mouse to move your model around? I have one but notice in Alibre that the movement is pretty jerky. Makes it kind of annoying to use. Its smooth in freecad and fusion but in Alibre it will move smooth briefly then hang up and just keeps doing that. Making it jerky to use. Navigation with keyboard and regular mouse is good.
Is there any settings, an update or some drivers I need for Alibre to work smooth with the space mouse? Or is this just the way it is? Thanks.
Until recently I used Alibre with trackball only. I've had a SpaceMouse Wireless for about 10 years and finally got around to setting it up for Alibre and Fusion. I had problems getting SM to work with either program. I contacted Support at 3D Connexion and they detailed the procedure to remove old drivers and reinstall current driver 10.8.12. After I performed the procedures the SM still did not work with Alibre nor Fusion - though I could get a zoom in zoom out to work if, and only if, the usb cable was connected. I have a power station and there are several usb devices and drives attached - most through a usb 3.0 hub. The SM usb wireless adapter was plugged into the hub. I removed it from the hub and installed it in one of the CPUs native usb ports. VOILA! That fixed the problem. Now the SpaceMouse Wireless works perfectly in all my CAD apps.
When you install the driver for SpaceMouse you should run 3DConnexion Home. This will give you access to the settings for the SpaceMouse.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
As I said in a previous post, I have had issues using a wireless mouse with Alibre. I recall reading somewhere that the dongle/transmitter for a wireless mouse should be connected to a USB port on the computer and not a USB hub. There's a technical reason for that but I don't recall exactly what it is.

If you set up the radial menus then have one of them assigned to the Properties so it gets to your settings quicker.

DJA

As I said in a previous post, I have had issues using a wireless mouse with Alibre. I recall reading somewhere that the dongle/transmitter for a wireless mouse should be connected to a USB port on the computer and not a USB hub. There's a technical reason for that but I don't recall exactly what it is.

If you set up the radial menus then have one of them assigned to the Properties so it gets to your settings quicker.
I use the WIRED version SPACE NAVIGATOR. I have no "Jerky" movement at all... smooth as glass.
I am running an older version... 3d x Ware 10.7.0.3248. ..... 3d x WinCore 17.7.0.17687.... There is a newer version 10.8.11 available but I have not tried it... afraid might screw things up (if it ain't broke, dont fix it)