What's new

3D connexion space mouse

JimCad

I'm using an old Space Pilot.
It's been obsolete for years but after updating the drivers it's fine with Alibre.
I do have a problem with something though and I think it's the Space Pilot. The USB keeps disconnecting & re connecting. 3D connexion tried & failed to sort it but I can live with it.
Jim

JimCad

Thanks David.
I had tried this before but I've updated various drivers since then. I'll try it again.

Jim

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I'm using an old Space Pilot.
It's been obsolete for years but after updating the drivers it's fine with Alibre.
I do have a problem with something though and I think it's the Space Pilot. The USB keeps disconnecting & re connecting. 3D connexion tried & failed to sort it but I can live with it.
Jim
A few questions:
What steps did 3Dconnexion take to trouble shoot the issue?

Which version of Windows are you running?

Are the drivers up to date?

Have you tried plugging the Space Pilot into a different USB port?

Is there any damage to the SN plug?

JimCad

Harold, Thank you for the input. I have a spare Space Pilot and they both behave exactly the same. 3D connexion got me to install the latest driver. It was the same version as I was using but a slightly updated version so I guess some minor tweaks were made.
Just looked on device manager and my Nvidia USB device has errors. I've tried to find the drivers to fix it but not there yet.
My USB problem has not happened while I've been on the computer this evening (about 2 hours) strange ! ! !
I'll plug it directly to the computer in the morning.
Jim

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
ust looked on device manager and my Nvidia USB device has errors. I've tried to find the drivers to fix it but not there yet.
Windows update is "supposed" to keep all the drivers up to date, at least that is what I was told, but you may need to go to Nvidia to update the USB drivers.
I'll plug it directly to the computer in the morning.
Plugged into the computer will be best. Did you have it plugged into a hub?

JimCad

Thanks for the replies.
I forgot to say: Windows 10
USB hub. I've bought another one of a different type and both behave the same.
I'm using a laptop so only have 3 USB ports.
I've searched the Nvidia website but not found a suitable driver yet. I uninstalled the software and re installed it but still no good.
It has still not done it today. ? ? ?
Maybe joining this forum has frightened it into behaving itself.
I don't want to change anything unless I have to.
Jim

JimCad

I switched on the power supply for my Alexa and soon after that it did it again.
Coincidence ? ? ? ?
Wierd! ! no USB device there. Just power & Wi Fi.
I switched it off yesterday as it failed to connect to the internet. I was going to switch it back on but forgot.
Didn't have a problem while it was switched off.
? ? ? ? ?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Is the Alexa or its power cable close to the cables for the 3DC device? Unfortunately some devices or cables aren't really designed with EMC behaviour in mind.

If 3DC is connected via a hub, is that powered or passive? Might laptop power down the USB port to extend battery life? Is the cable from laptop to hub of decent quality - I've resolved USB problems in past by using better cables, or by powering the USB hub (not all PC USB ports can supply what the USB spec demands).

JimCad

Yes Alexa is close to the other stuff.
I HAD a powered hub and am trying a non powered one.
I'll move the Alexa over to the other side of the room (where my wife sits when working from home) (tomorrow)
I'll be in trouble if she starts getting problems. ;)
Thanks for the response David.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Issues like this can be tricky to track down - could be power (voltage drop), noise/EMI, a software or driver glitch. Power cables can radiate EMI, inadequately screened signal cables can pick up EMI. Re-routing cables or replacing with better quality might help, but no guarantee. Good luck.

JimCad

I moved Alexa (or as I'm a Trekkie . . . . Computer) ½ an hour ago and it's not done it since.
Early days yet.
Thanks for the "fresh eyes" on this. It's easy to go into a downward spiral. :confused:

GeraldH

I've have trouble with this on wireless on one workstation, but when wired directly via USB it runs smooth.

JimCad

Mine is an old wired version.
I've moved Alexa and it's not switched on but the problem still exists but not as frequently? ? ? ? ?
Space Pilot.jpeg

jasonmburns

I use the WIRED version SPACE NAVIGATOR. I have no "Jerky" movement at all... smooth as glass.
I am running an older version... 3d x Ware 10.7.0.3248. ..... 3d x WinCore 17.7.0.17687.... There is a newer version 10.8.11 available but I have not tried it... afraid might screw things up (if it ain't broke, dont fix it)
Do your buttons for rotate and views work? What about your hotkey buttons? This is mostly the issue people are having.

JimCad

I'll leave this ait comes out as an example of what I get when mine is plugged into the computeri sead of a USB hub, frequently it missestngs and others it keeps on reapeting the last key that was pressed. When it's in a hub it behhves differently and the mouse & keyboard freeze with an audible sound from the computer that the US s disconnected and re connected.

think it know's I'm talking about it as it's not been too bad. But now it's started. Look at lthose spaces above. The space must've been the last thing ipssed.

Not changed this at all. This is the annoying garbage that comes out when the space mu is connected.
Infuriating or what ? ? ?
Ji

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Quoting Max from another thread regarding what may be coming in v27 - not sure if will make much difference in your case...

3Dconnexion
Some upgrades to the 3Dconnexion interface are happening. We do not have time right now to move to the full new shiny SDK, however we are able to address a few things such as some button mapping issues for views and rotation speed etc. Depending on how much noise is (or is not) made after those adjustments are made, we may prioritize moving to the new SDK in a subsequent release.

JimCad

Thanks David.
No I don't think it will fix this problem. It's an "All of the time" problem not software speciiiiiii (specific)
I'll get to the bottom of it one day.
Too busy at the mo.
Jim

DJA

Do your buttons for rotate and views work? What about your hotkey buttons? This is mostly the issue people are having.
There are only 2 buttons. I use the left button to bring up SPACE NAVIGATOR properties, and the right button for "fit" (zooms in)

klwill946

I have a SpaceMouse wired. 3DConnexion installation software is version 3.5.6. It allows for 26 different driver installations. What is the correct type to support Alibre Design Version 26 (latest)?
Also, please advise on how to turn the SpaceMouse off after closing Alibre.
I'd like to update to the latest 3DConnexion drivers and would need to know how to turn the latest version off too. I did have a .bat file that turned it off until I got a new computer and messed up the .bat file.
Thanks.