What's new

3D Printing Gallery

Stu3d

Can you actually get a print in that color / opacity / translucent?
You can get transluscent PLA, in my experience it tends to be brittle and there is a lot of stringing. On a standard non-resin printer the layer lines and infill would be visible and wouldn't look nearly as good as that render. I assume injection moulding would be the way to go.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
@Ken226 , there are a lot of your images with broken links! You don't need to post pictures on a 3rd party website and then link on the forum ... you can just paste them directly into you topic post and let the Alibre forum server store them for you!

Ken226

Alibre Super User
@Ken226 , there are a lot of your images with broken links! You don't need to post pictures on a 3rd party website and then link on the forum ... you can just paste them directly into you topic post and let the Alibre forum server store them for you!

Yea, I'm aware of that now.

But, I wasn't back then.

I'll spend some time this morning and replace or delete broken links. Thanks.

Last edited:

VoltsAndBolts

With the right resin, you can get a pretty good print that's translucent. However, what you're seeing is just a rendering. On my site, I show different versions rendered from different materials more in line with what you'll get from a standard 3D printer.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
One of my Alibre designs on Printables suddenly started getting hundreds of downloads. I did some searching and found that a Youtuber with a pretty big following featured it on one of his videos.

I designed it a year and a half ago, while experimenting with print-in-place mechanisms. I've still got about a dozen of these things that I printed back then, in use around the house, clipped on various bread bags, dog food bags, etc.

JimCad

Looks very good Ken. I've downloaded it and I'll print it later. Should be fun and who knows . . . . . . . maybe my wife will like it.
Jim

kritoke

Awesome, he is pretty big in 3d printer world these days. I have followed his channel not long after I got real deep into printing. He did some stuff with Neil Patrick Harris a while back and does interesting projects here and there.

JimCad

Looks very good Ken. I've downloaded it and I'll print it later. Should be fun and who knows . . . . . . . maybe my wife will like it.
Jim
Printed one on my old DaVinci AIO
0.3mm layer height, No supports, Thick walls.
About an hour and fifteen minutes.
Very nice too.
Mrs. Jim likes it as well. ;)
Thank you Ken.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Printed one on my old DaVinci AIO
0.3mm layer height, No supports, Thick walls.
About an hour and fifteen minutes.
Very nice too.
Mrs. Jim likes it as well. ;)
Thank you Ken.

I printed another one on my Voron. It's still a bit tricky getting everything to free up and move without breaking.

Once everything is free and moving, it'd good-2-go. My Voron might be over extruding a little. Back when I designed this I was using a fairly new Flashforge Creator with factory settings.