What's new

3D Printing noob.

bolsover

I'm thinking about buying a 3D printer... I have zero experience but am prepared to spend in region of £800 to get a machine that will produce accurate reliable prints with minimum fuss. Ideally I'd like something that can work with a variety of filaments (not keen on resin printers - just look way too messy). The Crealty 3D CR-5 pro seems to have good specs but is it any good in reality? Then there is the Flashforge creator pro v2..
So may different models to choose from. Quite keen to get a printer with an enclosure; mainly because it will sit right behind me in my very small home office.

db

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
I've been happy with the Prusa Mk3 that I bought a couple years ago. That's about US$750 in kit form or US$1k fully assembled.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I got a Prusa i3 Mk3S+ kit last year, out of the box (well as soon as I built it!) it produces great quality prints. Bit on the higher priced end of the spectrum though, but would certainly recommend it! It's quite a small footprint and there are plenty of videos on converting cheap Ikea tables (bit of glass/perspex and 3d printed hinges, etc) into an enclosure for printing ABS, etc. that need higher ambient temps and no draughts.

Prusa. If you have the money.

If your just wanting to try 3D printing and not expecting to use the machine a whole lot, Creality Ender 3v2 is quite good, once calibrated and with an extruder upgrade.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Update to earlier post, Prusa now do an enclosure for the i3 MK3S+ ... an announcement was published on their YouTube channel yesterday! Might have to invest in one of those myself.

Uman

The Prusa Mk3 is nice because it has a flexible, textured, removable build sheet that greatly helps part removal and Prusa offers one of the best slicer programs available - for free.
3D printers are very temperamental and slicer settings can be confusing.
There is also much information available on the internet about Prusa printers.
Tip - cover printer when not in use and store filament in a desiccant container.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Then there is the Flashforge creator pro v2..

db

I have an older Creator Pro. It's been very reliable, and easy to find aftermarket upgrades for. I recently set it up with a magnetic built plate and quick change spring steel liners.

Unfortunately, the Creator Pro v2 and Creator Pro Max didn't exist when I bought mine. My next 3d printer will be one of those.

jroy

Hi,

My first 3D printer was a Makerbot replicator 2X, and I still own it and lots of upgrades to it. Then 2 years ago purchased a Eleego Mars resin printer, and this one gives marvelous prints but the build volume is a bit on the low side. Last year I bougth a TRONXY X5SA-400-PRO because I needed a larger build volume and it rocks, I like it a lot but I need to build an enclosure for this one. And believe it or not, that printer was the cheapest to acquire.

Have a nice day people,