What's new

A beginners walk-through on creating planes in Alibre.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
This is created with simplicity In mind and meant to help Alibre beginners.

Sometimes you need something a little more complex that just an offset plane

Sorry bout the sniffling. My job keeps me in a constant state of sick.

Last edited:

flytyer96

I really liked your video on creating planes...it was very informative and helpful. I noticed that you have a feature that I would like to use...the"cube" in the upper right-hand corner that you use to orient the view. Is that a feature that is available in Atom? If so, how do I activate it?

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Yes. I could be wrong, but I believe Atom has the view cube.

To find out, go to the "view" tab.

One.png

Then click "Toggle View Cube"

two.png

flytyer96

Thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately, it appears that Atom doesn't support the "View Cube" as it isn't an option under "View". Thanks anyway.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately, it appears that Atom doesn't support the "View Cube" as it isn't an option under "View". Thanks anyway.

Alibre Atom3D V25037 has the option: View Cube

Please check:
Alibre Atom3D Home -> Utilities -> System Options -> Display - General -> Use Legacy Display is not checked

Atom3D-2.jpg

Now you can "toggle" the View Cube:

Atom3D-view-cube.jpeg

flytyer96

Alibre Atom3D V25037 has the option: View Cube

Please check:
Alibre Atom3D Home -> Utilities -> System Options -> Display - General -> Use Legacy Display is not checked

View attachment 37402

Now you can "toggle" the View Cube:

View attachment 37403
Thanks for the input. It still doesn't work for me. I noticed that you are running Alibre Atom3D V25. Is that a newer version than the Alibre Atom3D 2019 that I'm using? Also, another possibility; it says a re-start is necessary after selecting these options. Is that re-start just Alibre or the entire computer?

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Alibre Atom3D V25 is the current version.
Restart refers to Alibre Atom3D.
Please take a look:

DavidR8

Thanks for this Ken. It looks like Designer is somewhat easier than Atom.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Thanks for this Ken. It looks like Designer is somewhat easier than Atom.

Alibre Design is easier to use, in my opinion.

However in this case, unless I'm mistaken Atom has the same tools for creating work planes that Design has.

If you decided to upgrade, Alibre will apply what you paid for your Atom license towards your upgrade.
The biggest downside of upgrading, in my opinion, is that the cost of maintenance goes up significantly.

DavidR8

Alibre Design is easier to use, in my opinion.

However in this case, unless I'm mistaken Atom has the same tools for creating work planes that Design has.

If you decided to upgrade, Alibre will apply what you paid for your Atom license towards your upgrade.
The biggest downside of upgrading, in my opinion, is that the cost of maintenance goes up significantly.
I've thought about upgrading but I'm not sure I'd benefit from all of the expanded capability being a rank CAD newbie.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I've thought about upgrading but I'm not sure I'd benefit from all of the expanded capability being a rank CAD newbie.

To be honest, the limitations in Atom make it an excellent training tool.

You can do pretty much anything with Atom, but the lack of an "easy button" for so many operations forces you to think outside the box, ask questions and come up with workarounds.

I'ts too bad we can't get an Atom specific subforum.

DavidR8

To be honest, the limitations in Atom make it an excellent training tool.

You can do pretty much anything with Atom, but the lack of an "easy button" for so many operations forces you to think outside the box, ask questions and come up with workarounds.

I'ts too bad we can't get an Atom specific subforum.
I'd love an Atom sub-forum.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Be careful what you wish for - an Atom sub forum might only routinely be visited by Atom users, so miss out on input from many experienced users.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I've never done anything like website development, so this could be a silly question.

If we tried an Atom subforum, and it was later determined that it wasn't getting enough input from experienced users, would it be difficult to then delete it? And move the threads within to the general discussion forum.?

I guess I mean to ask, is it so difficult to undo, that it's not worth the effort of trying?

Off the top of my head, in the past I seem to remember others having asked for this, multiple times. @HaroldL for one, if I'm remembering correctly.

We have "Using Alibre Design", but no mention of Atom.

Perhaps "Using Alibre Atom", should be right under "Using Alibre Design".

Last edited:

idslk

Alibre Super User
Don't get me wrong, but is everybody reading each post in every subforum? Why should an "Expert-User" read Atom posts...and will "we" get then a Expert, a Professional, a Workshop and Atom forum section?

Regards
Stefan

DavidR8

Don't get me wrong, but is everybody reading each post in every subforum? Why should an "Expert-User" read Atom posts...and will "we" get then a Expert, a Professional, a Workshop and Atom forum section?

Regards
Stefan
I think the point is that Alibre makes two CAD products which are related and similar but definitely not the same.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I think the point is that Alibre makes two CAD products which are related and similar but definitely not the same.

Yes.

Regards
Stefan

I see your point, but I'll point out as a counterpoint example:

In my opinion, you aren't a beginner, nor do you need any advice on how to create planes using Alibre. :) Yet,....

I bet you'd be a regular in the Atom forum, to the benefit of Atom users.

I used pro for awhile before upgrading to expert. Expert and pro are the same aside for Keyshot, and there is already a subforum for keyshot. So no, it wouldn't make much sense to have two separate forums for the same CAD program.

Unlike Pro / Expert, Atom and Design are most definitely not the same.

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of slight misinformation here. There are more differences between Pro & Expert than Keyshot ( Sheet Metal, Configurations, Global Parameter Files...).

ALL Alibre products are the same core software - just appearance and available features controlled by licence key.

Last edited:

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Yes, there are a few more differences than just Keyshot. But I was talking about within the CAD program itself, not about which modules are or aren't included.

I suppose it's subjective, if the differences between Pro and Expert would warrant a subforum.

With Atom, I'll bet it's more than 3. And, the differences go well beyond just which modules are included with the CAD program. With Atom, the differences go into the tools available and the user interface of he CAD program itself.

Last edited: